• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate my Zero Suit Samus!

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
You need to have started playing by the very beginning. ZSS requires agressive play, and waiting for your opponent to come to you is a bad thing to do.

NO FSMASHING! None of it!

Why do you even let Ness get close to the suit pieces? As a general rule, don't let your opponent use your suit pieces. I know it's tough, but it's imperative that you learn how to take full advantage of your suit pieces.

Also, don't be afraid to edgeguard a bit more aggressively. Remember, ZSS thrives on agressive play.

But remember also that aggressive with ZSS means use SH Plasma Whip to keep opponents at bay. Use this move at it's range, and your opponent will have to find a way around it. Plasma Whip has almost no ending lag, so you can respond pretty quickly to their actions. Most other moves you use will come as a result of your opponent responding to your Plasma Whip.

I know uthrow does the most damage, but it has relatively poor knockback, and a lot of cool down. Some characters may even be able to punish you for using it with the right DI. I prefer fthrow for tossing people. It has better knockback and much less cooldown for only a percent less.

Right, I think you've also learned your lesson about dair, too. Don't do it unless you want to survive a bit longer off the top.

Flip Jump should be used on its own, not as an augmentation to your second jump.

In general, every time you use Fsmash, you should probably be using Plasma Whip. It's much harder to punish.

To be completely honest, you look like you just picked ZSS up. That's probably the case, so I suppose it shan't offend you too much to read it. You benefit greatly from what you already know about the game in general, and from your opponent's unfamiliarity with the match-up. But you yourself are severely hampered by very little knowledge of ZSS's metagame.

Hope it helps.

stoopdklutz

Smash Journeyman
...at least you can glide toss.

Yea, ZSS rewards aggresive play. just standng there in the beginning, waiting for an approach made me raise an eyebrow. ZSS isn't a camping player, nor can she camp anyways. I think she's about aerial strings of attacks. Try her that way.

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
The match-up that you do need to play defensively in is against Toon/Link.

I think she's about aerial strings of attacks. Try her that way.
You're right. But don't use knowledge that you think may be wrong when trying to help someone.

ashes

Smash Apprentice
My advice would be to figure out all the moves and their capabilities, you made alot of stupid mistakes that can easily be fixed if you knew more of what all the moves do and their llimitations. Also watch some of the vids from the zamus vid archive and get a feel for how ZSS plays and some combos and such.
If you are patient while learning and really stick to her she is a great character.

ky72x

Smash Apprentice
Everything phOOtbag said.

Combos ftw, and please do not use her down b/smash near edges. You played a much better match in the second video. You pulled off some pretty nice combos with her dash attack, that attack is one of the main things you'll need to emphasize in order to be a good ZSS player. Hope all of our advice helps!

oze6000

Smash Apprentice
Yeah never let them get your armor parts. Either get rid of two and glide toss with one or play it smarter.

THERE ARE HARDLY ANY TIMES WHEN YOU'LL WANT TO USE FSMASH OR DAIR!

You are wasting two of Zamus's best moves, downB and overB

Start using over be instead of the forward smash, learn its downfalls (though it still is MUCH better than Fsmash), and then you can use Fsmash where overB lacks (After a Dsmash, for example)

Down B is amazing and if you utilize it wisely it is murder for an opponent. After looking at your Samus thread I'd say switch to ZSS as a main instead of Samus.

FadedImage

Smash Journeyman
There's only one part where I have to disagree with ph00tbag:

You need to have started playing by the very beginning. ZSS requires agressive play, and waiting for your opponent to come to you is a bad thing to do.
When you have the suitpieces playing defensively is a good idea. Plus, ZSS can be difficult to approach with, considering her lack of options.

However, pretty much everything else ph00t said is spot-on. Mainly, where the f*** is the side-b? I don't mean to be rude, but that's like not using Snake's F-Tilt or not using Shuttle-Loop on Metaknight. It's her absolute best way to space and rack up damage at the same time, (aside from d-smash).

Also, stop using bad moves: F-smash, D-air, sometimes grab, sometimes jab.

Your tilt game should set up your grab game. What I mean is, you should punish your opponent with tilts first, and then when they see they're getting punished by attacks and start to shield, then you grab. Not the other way around.

Also, your game should have 2 focal points. When your opponent is below 100%, get their damage above 100%, meaning lots of side-bs, tilts, d-smashes, and juggling. When your opponent is above 100%, try to land a d-smash or b-air and get the KO.

Umm, that's all I can think of, gl with ZSS, she's a pain in the *** to learn, but it's worth it.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
When you have the suitpieces playing defensively is a good idea. Plus, ZSS can be difficult to approach with, considering her lack of options.
Keeping your opponent away from the suit pieces doesn't mean sitting on them and attacking your opponent when they come close. Furthermore, aggressive play doesn't mean offensive play. You need to create a shell around your suit pieces, and engage your opponent if they try to approach the pieces. I'm not saying run at your opponent and beat them up. I'm saying engage them before they get too close as oppose to when they do.

And aggressive doesn't mean running in like a madman without thinking about what you're doing. I'm talking about spamming Plasma Whip and shooting out Paralyzer beams. Don't give your opponent time to think. Force them to try to break your wall. When I say play aggressively, I mean throw your defense at your opponent, because your defense can often be more painful to them than your offense.

FadedImage

Smash Journeyman
hah, alright, well then I completely agree with ph00t in his ZSS playstyle suggestions, I just disagree with his definition of the word "aggressive". d:

ChaoticSamus

Smash Apprentice
Okay.

1. Never use Dair as an edgegaurd. You will SD.
2. Camp less.
3. Paralyzer and Dsmashes are your best friend. They lead to so many combos. Use them but dont abuse them.
4. Use Down-B. Your first death in your first video could have been avoided.
5. Up-B. You can bring an airborne opponent down leading to a fair or bair. Also can be used to spike.

Bouse

Smash Ace
ph00tbag is wrong!
Sorry, I just like to play Devil's Advocate.

------
Side note: That movie was on the other day, anyone else wonder why Keanu Reeves can't act that way all the time? I mean... it was such a great movie, and the rest involve him saying things like "there is no spoon", or "woah."

brg

Smash Ace
i feel zss is like melee's falcon in the air, and samus on the ground

Bouse

Smash Ace
It's really quite simple, Zero Suit Samus... is Catwoman.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
It's really quite simple, Zero Suit Samus... is Catwoman.
I was about to ask why people always make inaccurate comparisons for ZSS, but now I can't, because you've made the only correct comparison. She is Catwoman.

brg

Smash Ace
shes like the old men at the gym that walk around naked in the lockers

Sundown

Smash Journeyman

Combos ftw, and please do not use her down b/smash near edges. You played a much better match in the second video. You pulled off some pretty nice combos with her dash attack, that attack is one of the main things you'll need to emphasize in order to be a good ZSS player. Hope all of our advice helps!
I hope you are not saying "plz dont use her dsmash near edges", at least not in the sense i understand it. Dsmash is stupid good at the edges, for edgeguarding purposes... a well timed well placed dsmash sets up SO MANY PEOPLE RECOVERING FROM BELOW for a stage spike...

So i hope you didnt advice against that :O

Bouse

Smash Ace

How many ways is this wrong... let me count them.

1. Combos do not exist, only DI chasing.
2. On the topic of Down+B. Did... did you even watch Claw's video?
3. On the topic of Down Smash. Did... did you even read #2?
4. Her dash attack is good, but manipulating her Side+B is more important.

ky72x

Smash Apprentice
I meant her air attack, the stall-then-fall aerial meteor smash! The one that you're hardly ever supposed to use, namely near edges. Guess I should've been more clear 'bout that. :p

Anyway, of course I know that downb and dsmash moves are insanely good for using next to edges. I've done that stage spike plenty of times before. And yes, I did watch some of Claw's videos.

In the end, I see what you both thought I said. I'll admit that I'm not the one to give advice around here when I'm the one that needs plenty of improvement...

Bouse

Smash Ace
The problem is that you wrote it wrong! Prufreedz ur stuph.

ky72x

Smash Apprentice
Heh. I'm focusing too much on the spelling, not the actual content... let's see...

Zamuss' down aireal atack sux. Kan ya spel 'self-destruct?'

See? It does work!

Top Bottom