• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate my Yoshi (Advice wanted)

el_B

Smash Rookie
Well, yeah, I'm playing Yoshi as my main and I'd like you to rate my Yoshi and (hopefully) give me some advice in which areas I can improve my Yoshi..

Fight 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5NwMQZUhx0

Fight 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdanBHyRBHI

Fight 3:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtIumIIje1I

I know I tend to mess up technical stuff pretty often, still have to teach my fingers to do what I want. Untumbling is another thing I'm in the progress of learning/improving. For the rest, I'd like to hear some advice from you guys
: )

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Wow. I'd be honored to post in this thread second (LOL).

Before I critique, I'd like to say that basically every "rate mah Yoshiszzz" thread in the past few months have been pretty good. We're seeing a lot of nice talent popping up among the already great pool of talent we've been known to have. It does little short of warm my heart and make me want to get better myself.

I have to say, after watching these, I was a little more than impressed. I'll agree with you that you do indeed have to work on technical stuff, but other than that, you're pretty solid--I'd say you're better than me (I was watching and getting quite jealous!) because of not only your combo skill, but your ability to lead in with some clutch DJCs. While I didn't particularly care for some of your offensive DJC options (be careful with those forward airs), it was most likely just me because I'm still uncomfortable with my DJC game. If you're going to RDJC forward airs, make sure to get enough height to allow the move to come out so you can either hit your opponent or at least stun their shield and follow up with anti-shield techniques.

Uh...try not to burn your second jump so easily off the stage. Trust me, once you get untumbling down, it's a lifesaver. Pure and simple. If you must burn your jump (especially against a strong character like DK), you'll want to try to get platform dashing and wavelanding onto the stage down as a technique (especially on a stage like Dreamland--Corneria not so much but you take what you can, right?) in order to stop easy abuse of your jump. While we're on it, your DI could kinda use some work. Against DK's up airs, I know it's hard to get out once you're caught at low damages, but even if you can't completely get out, you should try to make it as hard as you can for your foe to follow you in the air. Them missing leads to slip ups, which can lead to combos by you (which are pretty deadly if what I'm seeing in these videos is stuff you can do at will), which can lead to edgeguarding and so on and so forth.

Yeah, that's about it I guess? Sorry for making this so long--I just try to get my ideas out in one post, hahaha. Alright, mang. I look forward to more Yoshi action, should you have more to share in the future!

P.S. - LOL @ that upsmash on Corneria. It made me feel good to see that connect. <3

Rob_Gambino

Smash Lord
You have a good yoshi.

Towards the beginning, you need to DI more when the DK is trying to juggle you.

Too much down B, come down with DI, n-air and/or DJC if you need to.

that triple u-air combo was sexy; i thought you had trouble with tech. Nah, my tech game is my biggest problem too, but this was a nice combo.

I like how well you follow DI and techs.

Your last stock you should have down B'd the ledge instead of over Bing egg roll. Maybe try to work on more recovery tricks in general.

You're a smart player, I like it.

rmusgrave

BRoomer
BRoomer
First video:
-Upsmash underneath the platform? That doesn't work on that level.
-Near the end he kept the pressure on too easily with the b-air spam. You should try to force some space in that kind of situation. I find that platform dashing can be a useful way to deal with moves which don't reach above platform height like DK's SH bair. If you platform dash towards him, and go off the platform, you have so many options like approaching DJC'd or not, DJC platform dashing back onto the platform and DJC platform dashing onto the upper platform. I tend to mix it up a bit, but generally in this situation it forces DK to full jump b-air with his unimpressive fast fall or try to get under you, both of which should be hard work if you make it hard for him.

2nd video:
-2:16 He hits you with 2 b-airs here, if you'd timed it right you could've DJC'd through and up-aired him into some sort of combo. You were unlucky here, but DK has a fixed lag and startup to his b-air. Learn the timing, especially if this guy is your sparring partner.
-3:02 That was your d-smash chance! I was so waiting for the satisfying crunching sound of DK's spine and his cry of agony. You finished it off a few seconds later, but the f-air was a waste.
-@ the end, don't worry we all do that =P

3rd video:
-Lol @ DK's kill at 2:10 or so.
-2;37 nice egg into the lasers there, it was impressive, even if it wasn't planned when you started the egg throw.

Overall:
You're too liberal with your DJCs at higher %. It's ok to play dangerously at low damage, but high damage just loses you stocks quickly. Its not a case of just using it less though, you have to learn when exactly to use it, and that will just take you time.

At any rate, you remind me of how I used to play when I had recently learnt most of the technical stuff. Keep it up!

The |Egg| Sniper

Smash Apprentice
Hmm....

First, I'd like to mention my lack of posting is because of past lack of time....I come and go randomly.

First Vid:
Pros: Nice that you realized what DK's main game is: Grab->Uthrow->Air wrecking. Getting under air fighters and fighting fire with fire is a good strategy. I love the SH Bairs. Keeps him on his toes. Loved the Bair combos

Cons: 2:23, he was way open to be struck. I noticed a bit of reliance on DownB. Yeah, I love it too, and its great to get yourself out of an aerial jam. Just be careful how you use it against longer ranged air game I.E Marth >.<
More eggs would be nice, but then again I use eggs as manipulators. Also good for guiding your opponents when they're recovering. Egg throwing is difficult at first, but very useful later on (especially if you can short toss them to break shield grabbers!)
More Fairs would probably bring more power to the table than Bairs, though Bairs are good for constant pressure.
Surprised you didn't try any throws of your own on big ol' DK. His size makes up for the strange range of Yoshi's throws. Remember charge throw grabs only from the farthest half of his tongue at the beginning of his animation. Actually, both throws do.
Please, do NOT use Forward+B unless you're stalling towards the edge. Just as they think you're gonna get to the ground, use it to pop up and throw off their edgeguard. Its not perfect, but can be useful.

Second Vid:
Pros:Nice Edgeguard at :55! More attempts at Fairs. Comboability much more noticable here! More Dtilts seen too. (remember, Dtilt is always a set distance attack when not Crouch Canceled. Very useful for getting some space between you and your opponent).

Cons: YIKES! 1:32, downB was NOT the best of ideas. So many deaths I've suffered from trying to beat someone to an edgehog. Best to avoid that situation. A few missed Fairs, but more in Vid 1. Remember to roll R-cancel->sideroll right after to try and avoid a shieldgrab. Even R-Cancel->Down C-stick to beat them to the punch.
He got you on the shieldgrabs big time. Overall DK's game was beter than in Vid 1. Try aerial neutralBs to throw off his shieldgrabbing ways. Egg Lay is an awesome mind game move when mixed up within matches.

Side Notes: I've noticed you do much better on the offensive, rather than waiting to predict DK's moves. Keep on his toes more and you'll do better!
I also noticed you tried to EdgeEgg. That's definitely a good move, but very risky for the reason you died on your last life.
Edge recovery woudl be more useful if you utilitzed Yoshi's DJ tanking abilities. Drop and double jump to tank their attacks and retaliate with a nair if youre right on them.

Third Vid:

Pros:Nice Egg Rifling (That's what I call the Edge Egging now n_n). Sweet UpSmash near the end! Noticed some nice uair juggling at the end! Overall good moves on all 3 vids.

Cons: Too much Down B at the beginning got you punished. I'd suggest only using it for edgehogging from recovery or if you're absolutely sure you'll punish them for attempting aerial game. I'm guessing at 1:08 you attempted to DJC into him. Good move, but a little risky against DK's best air attack ;)
1:45 you ate his foot big time. When recovering from the edge try to keep some sort of defensive measure ready. Fair at that point could have helped if not saved you a few seconds of life. Or in all cases when in doubt, Nair n_n

Side Notes: Remember after 100% or so, Yoshi's tanking abilities go downhill with double jumps. However, they're not all gone at that point.

Overall: It's a good Yoshi, but seems a little lax when it comes to putting pressure on DK. Yoshi's a good counter against DK since he's a bigger target. Target to Eggs, dtilt, and fairs. Just up the protection factor on your air game with more Nairs, keep your feet on the ground more rather than fully DJing, and follow up more things, and you'll be greater!

Overall Rating: 8/10 from what I've seen!

RedYoshi92

Smash Lord
you have a good yoshi.My advice would be to make DK come to you by spamming eggz towards him,try to DI away as much as possible from those Uthrow+Uair combos to avoid getting hit more.If you want to you can DJC your moves to make you more faster.

Top Bottom