• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate my Pikachu?

Insightful

Smash Cadet
After almost a month of playing Sm4sh, I finally got some footage of my Pika. I still have a lot to learn, after all I've only been playing for nearly a month, but tell me what you think? Do I have hope to you? (lol)

Twitch that it was streamed user name was BOT2020, you should check out his streams. He is a great sm4sh player although he isn't playing in this, just recording. (I took this clip out with the website Nightdev.com) And my Sheik got bodied, didn't bother to put that in here since I don't play Sheik haha.

Anyways, here it is:
https://youtu.be/GoX_mHrzaK0

Last edited:

MVboy39

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MVboy39
3DS FC
4940-5715-0569
This first tip is more general and less about Pikachu, but if Peach pulls a Mr Saturn, physically take your finger off of the shield button. Even if you don't mean to shield it, you can still accidentally shield out of habit.

Anyway, on to Pikachu stuff. Near the end, you tried punishing Peach's lack of ledge safety with an up-smash. Up-smash doesn't have a hitbox below the ledge; however, up-tilt does, which can lead to some nasty follow-ups, even at the % Peach was at in the video. The biggest thing you should learn if you want to main Pikachu, though, is Quick Attack. I know it's been said many times, but Quick Attack is a great tool. It can even be used while dashing by jump-canceling. And one thing I don't see a lot of people mention is this: you can Quick Attack in place to try to bait a reaction out of your opponent.

Vessace

Smash Rookie
Quick Attack in general is one of your biggest priorities when trying to master Pika. As MVboy said, it's great for mind games. It is also an excellent spacing tool, and allows you to restore neutral or put yourself in a favorable stage position relative to the opponent. It works amazingly for followups, causes slight hitstun on your opponents, and is best friends with FThrow.
Once you can get down the angles of it, extending QAC on the ground, and ledge/platform canceling, your next best bet is to read up on his neutral game, mixing up your strategy and getting used to performing hard reads on your opponents. About 70% of Pika's success comes from proper spacing and mind gaming, and it definitely takes fast thinking to get both to work with such a versatile and speedy character. Best of luck!

Simperheve

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Simperheve
I won't go anymore into Quick Attack as it's already been covered. But i'll make a few bullet points below:
  • Don't forget to use your pummels when you grab! It helps rack up damage and keep your in front.
  • Using Thunder at point blank when your opponent is right in front of you isn't a great idea as it opens you for punishes.
  • I noticed you attempted to dash grab when you used the FF Fair and missed. Standing grab will do the job, or alternatively go for Ftilt or Dtilt if you don't think a grab is gonna work. Utilt also works, but is comparatively slower and less safe.
  • As a kill option, I recommend learning RAR Thunder. I can't link the video atm but you should be able to find it if you look online. It'll open up your kill options and it looks pretty impressive!

Last edited:

Insightful

Smash Cadet
T
I won't go anymore into Quick Attack as it's already been covered. But i'll make a few bullet points below:
  • Don't forget to use your pummels when you grab! It helps rack up damage and keep your in front.
  • Using Thunder at point blank when your opponent is right in front of you isn't a great idea as it opens you for punishes.
  • I noticed you attempted to dash grab when you used the FF Fair and missed. Standing grab will do the job, or alternatively go for Ftilt or Dtilt if you don't think a grab is gonna work. Utilt also works, but is comparatively slower and less safe.
  • As a kill option, I recommend learning RAR Thunder. I can't link the video atm but you should be able to find it if you look online. It'll open up your kill options and it looks pretty impressive!
thanks for the feedback. This video is kind of old and I haven't been on the forums lately. I have definitely gotten much better than this. And I know how to rar Thunder but thanks anyway! Much appreciated

Top Bottom