• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate my Falco!

falco_4_life

Smash Lord
try to mix up your recovery a little, it gets to predictable. since your fighting a samus use alot of laser, i mean more than u would normally use.

but then again i'm not good at givin advice on falco

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I think falco 4 life is talking about when you kept ledge dropping to phantasm. Also, maybe throw in a shine every so often to remind him what character he is facing. On the first stock you lost, you should've used phantasm instead of dropping down even further and using upb; that gave your cousin enough time to waltz on down and smack you away. Your cousin should try to avoid using upsmash, since it's so hard to get a decent or even reliable hit with it. To mix up your recovery, try ledge drop to jump to shine if you think he might shoot a missile or a charge shot at you. If not, drop, walljump, and then bair him if he's trying to hit you near the edge. Or go for the flashy walljump to phantasm to grab the edge or to arrive onto the stage. Can't think of anything else to say. Hope you can use this info in any way!

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
What character does your cousin usually play as? If someone other than Samus, I might be able to give you a few tips on what to do/not do. Some of what I said doesn't apply to every character you might face, so don't be surprised if Link spikes you with upb after you drop, walljump, and try to bair him. :p

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Allright. Against Samus, you did pretty good against your cousin. CCing against Samus doesn't work too well unless you're at REALLY low % and you think you have a good shot at getting a dsmash in. Also you run into the trouble of Samus CCing your moves and countering with dsmash or dtilt. SHL is probably your best friend here, since Samus really has no counter to that. I like to avoid platform stages when playing a Samus since they can escape SHL better. If Samus is close enough when you knock her off, try to go for a dair. If she tries to recover from below, dsmash or edgehog her. Even if she techs the dsmash, she is very limited on how to get back up to the stage. At the tournament, expect a lot of people to play Fox, Falco, Shiek, and Marth. Uggg... I hate playing a great Fox :( . SHL works alright here too, as most are worried about what you do AFTER you SHL. On the plus side, you can shine combo the heck out of Fox, Fox can't tech Falco's dthrow, and Fox isn't extremely hard to edgeguard. Try to avoid being grabbed by Fox, as upthrow is a ***** on Falco. That and his friggin' shine. This fight is pretty even though, so don't panic if you lose a stock. :)

Shiek is a nasty person to face, no matter who you play as. SHL will slow her down a little bit, but even that won't be enough. Shiek can combo Falco blindfolded, with 3 limbs amputated. Honestly, there is a lot against and for Falco on this one. Pro: Shiek is pretty light and her recovery isn't fantastic either. Shffling nairs and even dairs at times is a good approach on her. Avoiding her slap is a problem at times, but nothing impossible (unless she recently hit you with ftilt, then DI towards the stage and hope for the best).

Falco has the same strengths and weaknesses as you, so exploit them the best you can. Both have the shine, lasers, dair, and anything else that is good for Falco. Whoever gets the most hits in will probably win this one.

Marth isn't as hard as he looks. Yeah, he can chainthrow you pretty easily, his sword should go to **** for all the priority and range it has, and he can edgeguard pretty well. YOU, though, have the lasers, one of the best spiking move in the game, a terrific combo starter (shine;) ) and some pretty decent edgeguarding techniques. Once he's off the stage, it will be tough for him to get back if you are persistent enough.

Those characters should be your main challange at that tournament, along with the occasional Mario, Doc, and Falcon. Hope you practice the important stuff and good luck with that tournament! :) :) :)

Junpappy

Smash Lord
Actually Falco is almost a Fox counter. As long as you don't get grabbed you should be fine against most Foxes.

Back to the topic at hand, your Falco seems like it could use more tech practice ( I saw a few dairs that weren't l-cancelled) and the Samus should always DI Falco's dthrow.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Falco a Fox counter? I know Falco has a lot going for him on this matchup (shine combos, plenty of edgeguarding tactics, pretty good air game, very solid ground game,and SHL), but Fox has a lot as well( shinespiking, upthrow and plenty of vertical combos, shffld nairs, and some choices for edgeguarding). I didn't think Falco's pros were heavy enough to outweigh Fox's pros in this matchup though. Maybe Falco has a noticeable advantage, but I don't see it as big enough to be considered close to a counter to Fox.

I am glad to have been helpful to you Jer. :)

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
How big of an advantage do you have to have over an opponent to "almost" become a counter? 70% to 30%? Maybe more? I know Falco has the upper hand, but maybe only by 60% to 40%.

Junpappy

Smash Lord
Falco's advantage on Fox changes depending on the stage....but if you're sticking to the neutral stages, Falco ***** Fox on FD, has a good advantage on Pokemon Stadium, and has an overall advantage on the rest of the levels.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Falco ***** Fox on FD, has a good advantage on Pokemon Stadium,
I couldn't agree more. However, for the majority of stages, Falco's advantage over Fox doesn't seem to reach the same domain of being "close"to a counter. So, on average, even though Falco does have an advantage over Fox, more times than not it doesn't reach the level of acheiving anything close to counter status. So that's why I don't see Falco becoming close to a counter to Fox except on the stages listed above. :lick:

Junpappy

Smash Lord
Lol fine! You win.

But Falco is still a counterpick vs Fox if you lose in a tournament set.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Hey Jer, don't forget to polish up on your secondary, as it will give your gameplay a little bit of diversity. And yes, I agree, Falco is a counterpick vs Fox if you lose in a tournament set.

Youngdude111

Smash Rookie
As a Falco, I would've liked to see you shine more, but that's just my style. Also, I generally don't like to use up-smashes because of the little knockback. Your down-smash/tilt can be a lot more effective that way. Use phantasm when recovering if possible, but know when to switch it up as well. I think your shffls might have needed a little work as well, and maybe some shieldgrabbing as well, but other than that, I think you play a nice Falco

FalseFalco

Smash Master
'Music' was TERRIBLE. Crouch cancelling is good, but Samus can outcrouch you any day of the week. Also, take your time getting back on the edge; 5 seconds of being careful is ALWAYS worth a Falco stock.

Keep up the good work!

technomancer

Smash Champion
The shine is terrible against Samus unless they're at very low percents. Your Falco basically needs more speed and better spacing, you were hanging out too close and too far from the Samus to make effective use of your laser approaches, which are teh samus ****, and teh mindgamzes.

As far as Falco being a Fox counterpick, this is false on any stage or anything at all ever, it's **** city in both directions. Stage doesn't make a huge difference, but Fountain of Dreams/Yoshi's Story are Falco's best picks (due to closer side blastlines and good platform Dair combos), and FD and Battlefield are Fox's best neutral stages (CT, easy shinespikes on Battlefield, lots of safe open spaces to hang out).

Junpappy

Smash Lord
I try not to play on Battlefield because I hate the stage in general, but both FD and PS are better for Falco than Fox as far as the neutral stages are concerned.

Top Bottom