• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

rate my ddd

R!S3

Smash Apprentice
first video...

every time you grabbed the ledge you jumped off it...into a dair

not a bad choice but I would have mixed it up to keep him guessing

second video...

you mixed it up more, played a more dynamic game i thought

i laughed when you used the jet hammer...excellent choice imo

u had him in the wall and could have infinite grabbed him...the jab woulda been bad *** if he didnt di out of it

third video...

seems like your opponent gave up

you missed a few opportunities to punish him off the ledge

you didnt cg him at all...you ended after the first grab into a ftilt...

cg him as far as u can then end with ftilt

overall you did a very good job...7/10 dedede imo

howd you do overall in the tournament?

Samus-T

Smash Lord
Ya idk i think the infinite is so cheap and i just dont feel honorable using it. i got 2nd place in 1v1 (lost to futile the insane wario.) because i was in losers bracket and he was in winners the whole time, i had to win a total of 6 matches, when he only had to win a total of 3. i won the first 3 matches in a row, so in my heart, i won the tournament lol. and in doubles, my partner and i got first place

R!S3

Smash Apprentice
yea it sucks trying to fight your way out of the losers bracket in the finals

who does your doubles partner play?

Samus-T

Smash Lord
metaknight. dreamland team! haha. we stayed in winners the whole time, never lost a set :p

smashbot226

Smash Master
I may not be a DDD main (He's my secondary) but you're pretty **** great!

In other words:

You're good... BUT I'M BETTER!

/joke.

Seriously though, if my Wi-Fi wasn't so psycho, I'd challenge you to a friendly Brawl.

Quondulen

Smash Cadet
you didnt cg him at all...you ended after the first grab into a ftilt...

cg him as far as u can then end with ftilt
If you notice, the Pit player was using his Up B to get out of the chain grab. It's not that the DDD didn't chain grab, it's that the Pit knew how to get out of it.

R!S3

Smash Apprentice
If you notice, the Pit player was using his Up B to get out of the chain grab. It's not that the DDD didn't chain grab, it's that the Pit knew how to get out of it.
i didnt notice that...

nor did i know pit could escape using up b

a play with a pit main and he hasnt ever been able to escape my chain...

very interesting

Nicktendo

Smash Ace
Only really suggestion I have is not fastfalling bairs as much until the the starting animation is over. Just shorthopping them without fastfalling and wait a second then fastfall. the hitbox stays out, and then youll land with no lag instead of the lag.

Im pretty sure you can chaingrab pit just fine, I did it to nezumi the good socal pit player and didnt seem there was time to up b or jab. The timing is earlier than alot of others to do it right or else pit slides too far. Guess I'll have to try it again later with a freind to test it

Samus-T

Smash Lord
thanks for all of the help and great feedback guys :). i will upload some more videos from the tourney against futile in the finals (craaaaazy wario). Coming soon! keep commenting these vids though! lol

R!S3

Smash Apprentice
The timing is earlier than alot of others to do it right or else pit slides too far.
absolutely correct...

pit cant jab or up b out of it...

you just have to cut your CG timing a little shorter then usual then it works fine

Samus-T

Smash Lord
how? shield grab instead of z button to grab or what.... i tried that it didnt work :(

Nicktendo

Smash Ace
I made a habit of using shield cancel grabs because I hate the lag from missing a regular dash grab and it makes me feel more techical. :laugh: suposedly better range to

Pretty sure you can do it with regular grabs. Its just weird early timing

R!S3

Smash Apprentice
how? shield grab instead of z button to grab or what.... i tried that it didnt work :(
yea

you have to shield cancel the dash to gain extra grab range

also...shield cancleing prevents that annoying roll animation ddd does after a missed dash grab

this also alows you to chain grab more characters

sonic lucas pit etc cannot be chained using the z button

its a good habit to start using shield grabs instead of z button when chaining

Samus-T

Smash Lord
ya i usually use the dash shield grab to gain extra distance when chain grabbing but idk i just got really nervous haha. uploading new vids right now! aero vs futile tourney finals

EdSam

Smash Cadet
I made a habit of using shield cancel grabs because I hate the lag from missing a regular dash grab and it makes me feel more techical. :laugh: suposedly better range to

Pretty sure you can do it with regular grabs. Its just weird early timing
Ok, so this probably isn't the right place for this. But I've been a DDD main since release and I still don't have this straightened out.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, there are 3 ways to grab when dashing:

1) press z and you do a dashing grab
2) press R + A (before your shield comes out) and you do something that appears to be the same as a dashing grab
3) press R (wait for your shield to appear) then press A and you do a grab while standing in place

Which one of these has the increased range? and which one is necessary to CG pit so he can't escape? Thanks a lot!

EdSam

Smash Cadet
Option 3. If you tumble then it's the same as a regular dash grab (you hit A too early).
Ok cool , thanks. Now I noticed that when you shield cancel grab, you havta wait a bit longer for the shield to come up. Now my next question is: Does the extra grab range from shield canceled grab compensate for the lost distance that you could've run if u just did a dash grab and didn't have to wait for your shield to come up?

aznxk3vi17

Smash Cadet
I've been wondering the same thing as EdSam. Most of the time when I shield grab, I end up doing a dashing grab anyway. By waiting a little longer, I can finally get the actual shield grab, but it seems I am missing most of my follow-up grabs on some of the trickier chain grabs (Ike manages to dodge, roll, or jab me almost 100% of the time).

R!S3

Smash Apprentice
I've been wondering the same thing as EdSam. Most of the time when I shield grab, I end up doing a dashing grab anyway. By waiting a little longer, I can finally get the actual shield grab, but it seems I am missing most of my follow-up grabs on some of the trickier chain grabs (Ike manages to dodge, roll, or jab me almost 100% of the time).

this is the problem alot of ddd's are having...

you use different timing against different opponents

you cannot chain lucas or pit the same way you chain bowser and dk

a different timing is required per each character, practice vrs a wide variety of characters to understand what im talking about...

hope that helps you guys

EdSam

Smash Cadet
this is the problem alot of ddd's are having...

you use different timing against different opponents

you cannot chain lucas or pit the same way you chain bowser and dk

a different timing is required per each character, practice vrs a wide variety of characters to understand what im talking about...

hope that helps you guys
This doesn't really answer my question. I know different timings are involved, but I'm saying that the chaingrab can only be performed at a certain speed. And I'm sure I'm not doing it frame perfect but other people seem to agree that Pit and other select characters can get out of it. Now in Pit's case, whichever method I use (shield cancel or dash grab) seems to allow you to regrab at about the same speed and when CGing Pit there's an amount of time (visible, albeit small) where he can get out of it. Does the CG need to be done nearly frame perfect to work w/out him escaping? I guess what I'm trying to say is: Either Pit can in fact get out of the CG or I'm really missing something here.

whut?

Smash Journeyman
edsam, to preform the shield dashgrab you have to dash forward after the Dthrow, keep holding forward, if you shield while still holding forward you wont do the normal dash grab, your shield will come up and you wont slide as far.
it has to do with the angle of the shield, how you can tilt it up down left and right.
go into training mode, hold forward(dash) and press shield, a shield will come up.
as opposed to holding forward(dash) LETTING GO and pressing shield.
hard to explain but easy to understand

EdSam

Smash Cadet
edsam, to preform the shield dashgrab you have to dash forward after the Dthrow, keep holding forward, if you shield while still holding forward you wont do the normal dash grab, your shield will come up and you wont slide as far.
it has to do with the angle of the shield, how you can tilt it up down left and right.
go into training mode, hold forward(dash) and press shield, a shield will come up.
as opposed to holding forward(dash) LETTING GO and pressing shield.
hard to explain but easy to understand
Cool, thanks man, I'll try that tomorrow!

Top Bottom