• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate my Charizard

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
Title.
Was originally just messing around with him but now im starting to enjoy him a lot. Contemplating making him my main now.

Any criticism/tips would be appreciated!
Also before anyone asks, he grabbed me after my grab because i didnt expect him to get out so fast at 130%. Never had someone break out THAT quick at that amount of damage.

Last edited:

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
Main thing is learn how to autocancel nairs from different heights. It requires you to fastfall at different times depending on how high you are. It makes you less vulnerable and increases the chance you can combo out of it.

That last grab would've killed with up throw, no need to pummel and risk the grab break.

Flare Blitz is a lot worse offline, try to save it for when people have to land on the ground or as a recovery move (learn how to sweetspot ledges with it)

Grizzlpaw

Rawr~ ♪
3DS FC
1289-9519-4206
gr8 charizard m8 i r8 that b8 8 rocksmashes/8. Gtg l8 for my d8 I just 8 a pot8to

*ahem*

I'd say the first thing ya should probs work on is just getting the feel each of charizard's attacks. You genreally had the right idea while playing em, but your spacing was usually just a lil bit off :p

Just try n get used to the basics like when to to full hop an areal, when to short hop an areal. How to autocancel, ect.

I also suggest getting a feel for his air and ground speed if you can~

Besides all that tho, nice job on the win. It's always fun watching a ness lose eheheh

:006:

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
Yea the spacing is the largest thing i need to get used to. His janky jumps throw me off more than i'd like to admit. I also know i need to watch my tilting of my stick since ive noticed Zard likes to SideB instead of UpB a lot (dont think i had that issue here though).

Autocancelling is something ive never really been able to master, probably due to online minute lag. I dont have any local friends that play this nor do i know of any tournaments in a decent range of me (middle of nowhere nebraska ftw...) so literally all i have is online play, so i stick to that rather than get used to lagless play on practice mode.

Also i actually didnt know Zard had a kill throw at all. Im used to Up Throw being terrible lol both combo and kill reasons so i never think about it.

Don't throw up b out use it instead out of shield
im assuming youre talking about the wiff where he landed next to me and i UpB'd? Yeah that was me reverting to previous characters where im used to the sideways hitbox of UpB's to actually have some range. Forgot Zard's sideways hitbox sucks butt lol. Could have probably ended it right there with just a fsmash.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Last edited:

Grizzlpaw

Rawr~ ♪
3DS FC
1289-9519-4206
Yea the spacing is the largest thing i need to get used to. His janky jumps throw me off more than i'd like to admit. I also know i need to watch my tilting of my stick since ive noticed Zard likes to SideB instead of UpB a lot (dont think i had that issue here though).

Autocancelling is something ive never really been able to master, probably due to online minute lag. I dont have any local friends that play this nor do i know of any tournaments in a decent range of me (middle of nowhere nebraska ftw...) so literally all i have is online play, so i stick to that rather than get used to lagless play on practice mode.

Also i actually didnt know Zard had a kill throw at all. Im used to Up Throw being terrible lol both combo and kill reasons so i never think about it.

im assuming youre talking about the wiff where he landed next to me and i UpB'd? Yeah that was me reverting to previous characters where im used to the sideways hitbox of UpB's to actually have some range. Forgot Zard's sideways hitbox sucks butt lol. Could have probably ended it right there with just a fsmash.

Thanks for the feedback guys!
Truth be told, I'm guilty of the upthrow thing too. :p

Char has such an easy time killing, I only have to resort to using it in like 10% of games. Sometimes you just forget it's there...

Getting used to autocancling isn't that hard really. It's all muscle memory. Once you have it down in a offline, it's easy to pull it off online.

Just remember that chrizard cannot fast fall any of his areals out of a shorthop or he will suffer landing lag.

The only areals that auto cancel out of a shorthop are Fair and Nair. Nair's autocancel window is very forgiving, so it should practically autocancel itself so long as you don't fastfall it.

Fair is a little bit tricky if you're just getting the hang of charizard. You have to input the forward air and jump at practically the same time in order for it to auto cancel. Once you have it down though, you'll be able to pull it off in your sleep~

Just keep at it. You'll have it down before you know it~

Last edited:

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
if Nair is so easy to do thats probably why i never notice any landing lag, contrary to everyones complaint that his nair has a ******** landing lag problem. I tap down immediately after nair begins just out of habit.

And yea he kills so easily. His edgegame is crazy good as pretty much ANY of his attacks over the pit is a kill, either from knockback or straight up kill, sideb kills around 100%, his fsmash is fast and deadly, blah blah blah i could go on lol.
Only real gripe i have about him is he turns whenever you jump and hold a direction since he technically has multijumps. That makes doing bairs really hard and almost impossible to do it intentionally for me. Which blows because his bair is also very strong.

Rebel13

Banned via Warnings
Something I don't think anyone mentioned is that you missed a lot of chances to grab, like at 1:04. Charizard has his good ol' down throw fair combo that does good damage and gets people off stage, especially good vs Ness. Down throw -> up air also combos and kills on heavies, and can work on other characters if they DI wrong.

You also missed chances to mixup after jab 2, which frame traps into fly or a grab most times. You had generally sub-optimal punishes, but you will get better at them with practice. You played pretty well though.

Also don't worry about not being able to BAir a lot. It's horrifically laggy, even after this most recent patch (where it got reduced end lag, bleh)

Last edited:

Leety

Smash Cadet
NNID
Leety01
3DS FC
1993-8239-5899
The video shown seems like an average day on For Glory to me. Basically, and compilation of things that won't work nearly as effectively as you may think anywhere else. I feel it's important to note that most of the things that worked only did because the Ness was playing poorly, not because they were good options. It's fine as you're trying to learn the character, just don't make a habit of these things in the future. I've also noticed missed opportunities like the grab at the end could of been an up-throw, which probably would have ended the match. The best piece of advice is to do a little more research in what the moves do and work a bit on the spacing.

The one thing that I would watch out for is all those laggy landings. Remember that N-air can auto-cancel at different heights and rock-smash grants super armor. Those are probably my favorite options to use. However, if you plan on taking Zard further, you need to recognize that Zard just isn't that good when landing. If you're out of jumps, you need to respect that you're in a disadvantage so it's better to concentrate on landing safely.

How exactly to play out a match I feel is incredibly MU dependent for Zard so a clear gameplan, is a little tough to describe. However, you can watch me play a little through the replays I uploaded unlisted to my YouTube at your own leisure. I hope it helps you a little. :D (I just wished that Nintendo didn't limit this to 3:00 as I have much better examples, I was so dissapointed at this feature >.<)

Vs a random Kirby player on For Glory

Vs a random DDD on For Glory

Vs popular YouTuber StylesX2 (always great showcase playing against other Smash Bros players you know are competent as it can give great ideas :D)

Ryukred

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ryukred
If you need any tips or criticism to help you play Charizard better I suggest you join the Charizard Skype group as we have many people that you can play against and give you the help you need to get better. Just post your Skype username here and I'll add you, or just PM me.

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
The video shown seems like an average day on For Glory to me. Basically, and compilation of things that won't work nearly as effectively as you may think anywhere else. I feel it's important to note that most of the things that worked only did because the Ness was playing poorly, not because they were good options. It's fine as you're trying to learn the character, just don't make a habit of these things in the future. I've also noticed missed opportunities like the grab at the end could of been an up-throw, which probably would have ended the match. The best piece of advice is to do a little more research in what the moves do and work a bit on the spacing.

The one thing that I would watch out for is all those laggy landings. Remember that N-air can auto-cancel at different heights and rock-smash grants super armor. Those are probably my favorite options to use. However, if you plan on taking Zard further, you need to recognize that Zard just isn't that good when landing. If you're out of jumps, you need to respect that you're in a disadvantage so it's better to concentrate on landing safely.

How exactly to play out a match I feel is incredibly MU dependent for Zard so a clear gameplan, is a little tough to describe. However, you can watch me play a little through the replays I uploaded unlisted to my YouTube at your own leisure. I hope it helps you a little. :D (I just wished that Nintendo didn't limit this to 3:00 as I have much better examples, I was so dissapointed at this feature >.<)

Vs a random Kirby player on For Glory

Vs a random DDD on For Glory

Vs popular YouTuber StylesX2 (always great showcase playing against other Smash Bros players you know are competent as it can give great ideas :D)

Much thanks for the tips!
I know about the super armor with Strength thing, ive been abusing it as of late since it seems only a counter-character can actually prevent it (outside Lucario since he just dives under me every time instead of hitting me lol). It is indeed one of the best ways to get down to the ground. Funniest thing i find about it is it seems to be the only Super Armor that you ALWAYS get, since aside from counter or a lucky grab before getting hit first ive never lost that attack, whereas with DK ive had tons of punches not hit through an attack or his UpB initial frames still get countered by some abilities. (And for those who say DK punch has limitations, on the 3DS i had another DK super armor MY punch with HIS punch because it was ~5 frames if that apart, and he won rofl)

I'll have to watch those videos later since i dont have the time atm. And yea i really hate the 3min limit, i had a hilarious Duck Hunt mirror match that i cant upload becaues its 3:45ish :p - im honestly tempted to get a capture card or find some other way to record my videos the normal way. I need to upload another Zard video since ive improved since that one, but i either forget to save a replay since im not used to thinking about it, its a lagggggggy match, or i faced someone dramatically out of my league lol. I'd love to face someone outside For Glory for a change, but my wonky schedule kinda prevents that every time i try.

Last edited:

Leety

Smash Cadet
NNID
Leety01
3DS FC
1993-8239-5899
Much thanks for the tips!
I know about the super armor with Strength thing, ive been abusing it as of late since it seems only a counter-character can actually prevent it (outside Lucario since he just dives under me every time instead of hitting me lol). It is indeed one of the best ways to get down to the ground. Funniest thing i find about it is it seems to be the only Super Armor that you ALWAYS get, since aside from counter or a lucky grab before getting hit first ive never lost that attack, whereas with DK ive had tons of punches not hit through an attack or his UpB initial frames still get countered by some abilities. (And for those who say DK punch has limitations, on the 3DS i had another DK super armor MY punch with HIS punch because it was ~5 frames if that apart, and he won rofl)

I'll have to watch those videos later since i dont have the time atm. And yea i really hate the 3min limit, i had a hilarious Duck Hunt mirror match that i cant upload becaues its 3:45ish :p - im honestly tempted to get a capture card or find some other way to record my videos the normal way. I need to upload another Zard video since ive improved since that one, but i either forget to save a replay since im not used to thinking about it, its a lagggggggy match, or i faced someone dramatically out of my league lol. I'd love to face someone outside For Glory for a change, but my wonky schedule kinda prevents that every time i try.
It's no problem. If you need matches, the Charizard Skype group members are usually up for playing. You can also check up Anther's Ladder (Google it) as there are lots of players who tend to be willing for matches.

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
Watched the videos.

I noticed you have a dramatically different playstyle (well, you still like Flamethrower lol) between Kirby, which is a small lightweight, and DK/D3 which are large heavys. Against Kirby you seemed to always get away from him in the air unless you were able to hit him on the way up, but against the other 2 you just dove at them most of the time.
I get what you mean by gameplay via specific MU. ive noticed the smaller ratfinks tend to give me more issues than larger ones just because of their ability to snake a hit between your hits and small stature.
Very good fights to watch nontheless. I aint that good lol. Also i suck at the perfect pivot stuff, and i noticed you did it a lot into a smash.

Top Bottom