• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate me based on this sample of my play?

Othayuni

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0061-1205-7394
Goodness, I hope I'm posting this in the right place.

I'm trying to figure out where I stand! I think this video of a recent replay does an okay job showcasing how I'm playing these days. The diddy I'm up against could have been better, and I wish it was a video of me against a more impressive player, but this is the best showcase I have right now and I hope you the audience can glean something from it. Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00t3TPBCDrs&feature=youtu.be

NairWizard

Somewhere
Don't give up positional advantage. At numerous points throughout the video, you jumped to charge needles (e.g., 2 seconds in the video), or you rolled back away from your opponent as a panic-button response (e.g., 4 seconds in the video), thus giving up stage control and/or advantage. When your opponent is on the ground and you jump in the air for no reason (as in, not attempting to short hop an approach), you basically give your opponent an advantage. When you miss an attack, do not roll away (at least not always); use another attack to keep the pressure going on your opponent. Almost every single time you rolled in this video, you could have been f-airing instead.

Be more aggressive in your gameplay. Don't give the other guy space to breathe. Stay at the best space range for your character at all times.

Sheik-specific:
- You should use more f-air, f-air is safe and doesn't commit you because it's so fast. It also starts combos.
- You should use the needles to trick your opponent if possible. Throw some partially charged needles a few times at a moderate distance from an opponent, then begin charging again. Your opponent will likely shield in response. Then, run in and get a grab. Next time, do the same but instead of running in and grabbing, walk up, call the spotdodge or roll/wait, and throw the charged needles.

Great use of Vanish, by the way.

Othayuni

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0061-1205-7394
I adore this advice. I'm sticking with my needlehopping habits because it's a technique I'm working on (also comes in short hop flavor) but the points about judiciousness in its application are well taken. Thanks for everything else!

Last edited:

Othayuni

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0061-1205-7394
Thanks so much!

Here, before you go, let me show you what I'm working on with the needles. I'm not sure if this technique is popular, but I discovered it for myself and call it stormclouding:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byBMvVZp0Cw&feature=youtu.be

My idea is that it should allow me to make some basic evasive behaviors, as well as crossing the map for positioning concerns like chasing a person who got launched far but not cleared, while simultaneously adding needles to my hand.

So far it's been extremely promising. That said, guessing I should emphasize the short hop version over the long hop version as bread and butter is concerned, since like you pointed out the long hop version is more vulnerable and frankly it probably covers horizontal distance slower. Plus, I'll keep in mind to be careful when the person is actually close and I should be doing attacks instead, though I maintain stormclouding might have some clever evasive properties even in close that I'm not shy of exploring.

NairWizard

Somewhere
This technique is well known and works for every character who can charge an attack in the air, such as Robin with Thoron. It's called charge canceling. The problem with doing this by jumping into the air is that you're putting yourself in a dangerous situation where you don't have any hitboxes available to protect you because you're stuck in the needle charge animation. This technique is a good landing mixup but generally a poor neutral-game option. You'd probably be better off sticking to f-air, although you can mixup your f-air approaches with some feints where you charge needles and cancel the charge to psych your opponent out.

Last edited:
Top Bottom