• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate and Criticize My Sheik Please.

Antkatsu

Smash Rookie
Sorry that I'm adding to more rating videos and there's one under me somewhere but, yeah.

I started Sheik a couple of days ago remembering I tried her when it first came out realizing how badly she got nerfed(but that shouldn't have mattered because I was horrible! Watch my first released videos to see how bad I am :laugh: ). Well, after that, I saw some videos of her and her f-tilt locks intrigued me and made me think "Hey, Sheik still has some combos afterall."

Here are a couple of matches of my Sheik(and one Marth) vs XDarkElement's Falco. I'm open to any criticism and any tips to help improve for my metagame. I hope I'm not asking for too much considering I'm not a frequent poster on these boards. Anyways.. enjoy the camera, non-capture card like quality:

Match 1:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cr0LDbGnSRQ
Match 2:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdDo8-FUWfs
Match 3:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHtJNorJnW4
Match 4(Marth):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fu_Cii_18C8
Match 5:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-nfPEVsR88

Thanks everyone.

iMeeHow

Smash Journeyman
Sumtimes when u get a chance u should turn to zelda to finish because zelda is really good for KOs and she has a reflector so u can make sure falco doesnt try to sit and camp

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Nice, very nice.

You may not be the most polish Sheik player I've ever seen but you have a great foundation on which you can improve on.

You grab a lot, that's one thing that most Sheik users don't do.

You edge hog correctly, which is more then I can say to most of the new members of the smash community.

You try to gimp and that’s all we could ever ask for.

Improvement

From what I saw what your really need to work on is your vanish mind games and maybe your offences.

I really can’t say for sure about your offences because you where playing mainly defensively with Sheik against Falco, which is a really great idea if they continually attack like he did.

Mainly though what I saw was just the lack of polish in character movement, which will be easily fix with more continuous play.

By the way I loved the dash attack cancel kill.

Good ****

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I watched the first video.

You roll too much. Other than that, keep up the good work.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Good Sheik, just deal more damage.

for example
- don't end tilt locks to early, keep tilting until you KNOW and SEE that they are DI'ing properly
- don't miss dsmash opportunities when they are right next to you
- sometimes when you're out of options you can just AAA combo and then roll away

Overall a good Sheik style, you can just improve your quick decision making skills because there are many spots where you can do more damage.

Work on that recovery too. It's good, but could be slightly better on where you aim the vanish and stuff.

EDIT: Oh, and did you play Melee? Remember, Gimpyfish's advice to all Sheik players: Don't habitually down throw.

Antkatsu

Smash Rookie
Sumtimes when u get a chance u should turn to zelda to finish because zelda is really good for KOs and she has a reflector so u can make sure falco doesnt try to sit and camp
Yeah I definitely need to take advantage of Zelda considering her major buff from melee.
I'm trying to focus mainly on Sheik right now but I'll definitely try to bring Zelda into my game.

Nice, very nice.

You may not be the most polish Sheik player I've ever seen but you have a great foundation on which you can improve on.

You grab a lot, that's one thing that most Sheik users don't do.

You edge hog correctly, which is more then I can say to most of the new members of the smash community.

You try to gimp and that’s all we could ever ask for.

Improvement

From what I saw what your really need to work on is your vanish mind games and maybe your offences.

I really can’t say for sure about your offences because you where playing mainly defensively with Sheik against Falco, which is a really great idea if they continually attack like he did.

Mainly though what I saw was just the lack of polish in character movement, which will be easily fix with more continuous play.

By the way I loved the dash attack cancel kill.

Good ****
Thanks Tristan. I actually find myself a more moderate player not knowing how to effectively become aggressive and apply pressure on someone. Do you have any strategies on applying pressure against someone? I find myself using a tilt to force them to either shield and I can grab them or get them into a tilt lock. Also I do get what you mean when I don't move as much as I should but what options do I have with a continuous flow of movement? I mean I may try a couple of empty shuffles in previous matches but my opponent wouldn't really flinch or anything so I don't know how to completely incorporate it into my game.

I watched the first video.

You roll too much. Other than that, keep up the good work.
Haha..thanks for pointing that out Ankoku. For one(useless reason) I like her roll animation >_>..but I get scared of short hopping away thinking I'll get exploited in some way. I need to stop doing it on instinct.

Good Sheik, just deal more damage.

for example
- don't end tilt locks to early, keep tilting until you KNOW and SEE that they are DI'ing properly
- don't miss dsmash opportunities when they are right next to you
- sometimes when you're out of options you can just AAA combo and then roll away

Overall a good Sheik style, you can just improve your quick decision making skills because there are many spots where you can do more damage.

Work on that recovery too. It's good, but could be slightly better on where you aim the vanish and stuff.

EDIT: Oh, and did you play Melee? Remember, Gimpyfish's advice to all Sheik players: Don't habitually down throw.
About the tilt locks, would it be better to continue it until they can DI out of it or would it rack up more damage to do it until a certain percentage and hit with another attack?I do the latter which you have noticed.

Concerning my recovery problems, were you talking about when I was edgehogged?If so I don't know how I could've aimed some of those vanishes. Otherwise I think I need some clarification.

I used to play Melee a little. I played smash with my family casually and then found out about Melee's metagame in like 2006/2007 but nobody wanted to play competitive with me so I just found myself playing against two or three friends that did play competitively with ATechs but we never made it big or went to tourneys. I'll listen to Gimpys advice mentally but my instincts say no lol.:laugh:

Thanks for the advice and criticism everyone. Feel free to point anything more you see and I'll probably update a couple of more videos sometime this week or next so don't let my thread die >_<.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
About the tilt locks, would it be better to continue it until they can DI out of it or would it rack up more damage to do it until a certain percentage and hit with another attack?I do the latter which you have noticed.

Concerning my recovery problems, were you talking about when I was edgehogged?If so I don't know how I could've aimed some of those vanishes. Otherwise I think I need some clarification.
Concerning tilt locks: Yeah, doing the latter is the correct option, but you should be watching the DI and wait until you really know that they are DIing properly. Sometimes you can really see it. For example, if you see that someone is incorrectly DIing down or away, keep tilting until you see that they are about to escape, then change to an attack. What you're doing is good, but it can be better... You ftilt Falco two to three times before hitting him with another attack. Though, if you think about it, there's really nothing to lose in ftilting him six or seven times into an attack. More damage is always better.

Keep it up, you're finding the right moments for tilts. Just remember that a lot of the time, more tilts are better (especially for Falco.)

As for the recovery... there are a lot of ways to DI the initial jump of the Vanish, and then ways to angle the actual Vanish to reach the stage. For example, when Falco spikes you off the left side of Smashville, you can still survive. Angle the initial jump left, and then the teleport diagonally upwards to the right. Or perhaps you can meteor cancel as fast as you can and try to snag the edge with your chain before he edgehogs. These are better choices than vanishing straight upwards, which can get edgehogged.

So yeah, just some small advice ^^; I hope you take it as constructive criticism. Like others have said, you have a respectable Sheik, it's just those spur-of-the-moment decisions that could rack up more damage or help you survive that can make you even better than you are now.

Oh, and that question you asked to Tristan about pressure: A lot of the time you can smack opponents around without any time for them to react. Simply approaching someone with a RAR bair into a dash attack can be very hard to fight (unless that person is a very composed player that shields both attacks.) Or maybe a close ranged fair to a dsmash, which can sometimes beat out a slow attempt at a shield grab. A close ranged fair to AAA jabs is good too, because they are hard to shield grab. Anything to keep your opponent under pressure while also being safe yourself.

Needles **** too.

Top Bottom