• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ranking System for Brawl Online

caboose1029

Smash Rookie
Do you think that Nintendo will institute a level system, or a tier system for Brawl? Otherwise, players that aren't very good, but still want some online experience will get destroyed by people who are really good. A level system, like used in Halo 2, would be a good way to seperate skill levels, but it would also heighten the use mods for cheating in online play. What does everyone think about a ranking system?

Keige

Smash Journeyman
I'm sure they might put in something, even if it's just the amount of wins you have.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
Personally, I would love leaderboards and rankings, even if it promoted cheating, just because I like being rewarded for what I've done. Not to be rude or anything, but I like to be able to brag about any matches I've won, and I would like to be able to have something to show for it.

IM_A_HUSTLA

Smash Journeyman
if there iusi wins and loses u not some kind of ranking system like how im a smash noob on thees boards cus of my posts,

it should go by how many overall macthes or wins u have

criz2k7

Smash Rookie
yeah

Do you think that Nintendo will institute a level system, or a tier system for Brawl? Otherwise, players that aren't very good, but still want some online experience will get destroyed by people who are really good. A level system, like used in Halo 2, would be a good way to seperate skill levels, but it would also heighten the use mods for cheating in online play. What does everyone think about a ranking system?
i think it would be good because i could beat evry1 even if they have mods lol!! naa duno reall??

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Without a ranking system online Brawl will not be very fun.
Baloney!

Online SSB will still be excellent because it'll finally give us the chance to play against people we can otherwise only talk to on message boards.

RVD_fan

Smash Ace
Leaderboards may lead to cheating and fighting the same people online over and over again. One person quite a while back had a good suggestion. You should have your own little group of people you know online, and a ranking board for everyone you know. That way, you could see who's better out of people you've registered. You can also fight unknown people but won't get ranked on it.

Sensai

Smash Master
I'm pretty sure that leaderboards and other ranking systems have been already put down by Sakurai, although something that goes on wins (something like MP:H) might work.

Adi

Smash Lord
It's fun will last for a short while, but assuming they use the pain in the a** system of friend-codes I don't think it will get very far.

It won’t be fun for noobie players because they will constantly get owned and the pro players will get bored of owning them. On the contrary of being fun it will be the complete opposite. It would be much better if one was able to fight players of their own skill level. The level of cheating may be increased but Nintendo can certainly counter it by building secure servers.

As far as worrying about win-loss ratio, I say it should just not be recorded and instead a Halo style level system should be implemented. Basically it would be a point system in which a certain amount of wins in a certain level group allows you to go into a higher level, while losses bring you down. On the lower levels it would be fairly easy to go up while the higher levels would take much more time allowing for pro players to truly earn their reward.

Sushiman

Smash Journeyman
You mean like only you know your rank? You still won't know the rank of who you'll fight. I think newbs should get pretty good before going online. Premature newbs getting owned online is there own fault.
I think he means that you will be placed in a group depending on how you rank, but nobody knows what rank you are. (even you)

Keige

Smash Journeyman
I think it should feature a level system like MPH or Halo, but you always get points
1st: 4pts
2nd: 3pts
3rd: 2pts
4th: 1pt
Why should you loose points if you get fourth? It's not like you're getting worse or something. Or maybe you don't get points for loosing, but you get some for winning?

Wrench

Smash Apprentice
hack the game. anyway hidden rank seems like the most logical solution to pwning noobs to get higher

D.A.N.

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5257-9865-7609
I don't think it will go any further than a system tracking your wins and your losses. Nintendo isn't big on the online stuff for some reason.

Sensai

Smash Master
I'm with DAN on this one: Nintendo just doesn't seem incredibly prone to online play for some reason, and to set up an entire hiearchy for Brawl is way beyond anything they would do.

Tsukuyomi

Smash Journeyman
I still think that they'll go with the whole Wii # system, but if they actually got it to where a person can just search his/her match, the most likely way to seperate a newb and pro is by the consecutive matches... Probably have like 5+ different ranks... If a person wins 5 consecutive matches in a row, that person advances to the next rank... If that person were to lose 5 consecutive matches, that person will drop his/her rank... If the person is getting wins and losses, then you know that you're at the right spot...

freddybones

Smash Journeyman
Well if you look at the DS's online structure for MP:H, they do have a ranking system. It's based on a number of stars (1 to 5, I think). The better you are, the more stars you're ranked.

I also think the will be including a ranking system because because they need a matchmaking feature. If they don't want us to be in a a lobby, then we have to fight random people. If we fight random people, they need to find a way to make sure the players are evenly matched. That's where the rankings would play in.

Aeramis

Smash Ace
Ranking system sounds great if only there were no cheating but we all know that 1-2 weeks after it is online, people will be cheating somehow just to jump ranks like crazy. So I don't really care about ranks, just the online gameplay and how much fun they make it. I would rather not see a ranking system. If someone wants to prove their good to someone else, just go beat them 20 times in arow and then they can brag all they want. Simple as that. No need to just spend all your time trying to get the highest amount of wins in the world... That doesn't prove anything other then someone has way too much free time on their hands and cheats every game. Playing random people online is fine with me. If your worried that noobs having to fight pros then worry no more. The best way to learn how to get better is to play someone else that is better then you, learn from them, and notice what mistakes were made.

greenblob

Smash Lord
Cheating wouldn't be as prevalent since it's a console and hacks are harder to implement.

If there were an online ranking system, I think it should go something like this:
Friend code/rival matches do not count to prevent abuse. Only random matches will count.
It should be based on a point system, and the number of points earned depends on the opponent. If the opponent has a lot of points and you beat him/her, you gain more points than beating someone with very few points. Similarly, if you lose against someone with very few points, you lose more points than you would if you were to lose against someone with very many points.

mexleo1225

Smash Rookie
I think they should use a ranking system. Although it induces risk of hax, I'd still like to be able to play ppl my own lvl. Lots of ppl have dealt with hackers before.

I'm pretty sure that leaderboards and other ranking systems have been already put down by Sakurai, although something that goes on wins (something like MP:H) might work.
It's fun will last for a short while, but assuming they use the pain in the a** system of friend-codes I don't think it will get very far.

It won’t be fun for noobie players because they will constantly get owned and the pro players will get bored of owning them. On the contrary of being fun it will be the complete opposite. It would be much better if one was able to fight players of their own skill level. The level of cheating may be increased but Nintendo can certainly counter it by building secure servers.

As far as worrying about win-loss ratio, I say it should just not be recorded and instead a Halo style level system should be implemented. Basically it would be a point system in which a certain amount of wins in a certain level group allows you to go into a higher level, while losses bring you down. On the lower levels it would be fairly easy to go up while the higher levels would take much more time allowing for pro players to truly earn their reward.
Sensai *Negates*>Adi

I agree to the MP:H ranking system.Simplicity + Effectivness>Complications + Exclusivness

Kamaji

Smash Ace
About time nintendo commits to put something online. Are there any other games coming out soon that will have online multiplayer?

Devastlian

Smash Lord
Well, SSBB isn't supposed to be coming out very soon...

But Pokemon Battle Revolution, Mario Strikers Charged, and Batallion Wars ii are supposed to have online multiplayer.

Ghoul555

Smash Rookie
I would much rather prefer a ranking system and a lobby, or else it'll be like Mario Kart DS, where most of the time it's with people who are way too easy to beat. or with people that quit the match once they see you snake.

thatsmybutta

Smash Journeyman
hmmm i think nintendo's onlnie play will be much different from xbox live but there will be a pretty specific matchup system. like levels, characters, etc. a ranking system for wins/loses is essential in an online fighting game

Big Burn

Smash Lord
it would be nice is there was sort of sophisticated ranking system, but alas all from what i have heard nintendo is going to try to make it simplistic.... but then again who really knows.... i mean it seems that this is the game they are putting a lot of work in this game with it being really delayed and all... so i assume they are working there best to make online a nice fluid experience... got to have faith in nintendo....

mexleo1225

Smash Rookie
I think they will use a tier system. Most people who are noobs would probably prefer a ranking system, since they don't know the characters very well.

Adi

Smash Lord
Hmm, I didn't realize MP:H had a ranking system and after taking a look at it I don't think it's too bad, the only problem I have with it is the fact that you need friend codes to access many of the online features. I hope that Nintendo's policy with that in Brawl is similar to Microsoft's with Halo.

Top Bottom