• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Random Wall of Text over Rosaluma

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
First thing: we don't nerf Rosalina herself. And we don't make the 4the lightest character even lighter.

Yeah yeah, Rosalina has Luma, but her star-shaped companion is far lighter than Jigglypuff. You can kill Luma with a Smash attack from anywhere. Also Rosalina is light, tall, slow, weak and lacking in good taunts. Luma is her only saving grace, without it she would be bottom tier.

The amount of people saying Rosalina should be easier to kill makes me lol, yet worried. People begged for a drastically longer respawn time, we get a 50% longer one. Rosalina's weight is 78, only 10 points higher than Jigglypuff, 1 higher than Kirby and 20 lighter than mario, yet see the difference it makes. The next nerf people were begging for on Rosalina was her being lighter. If Nintendo takes the same route , it will have a much bigger effect than respawn time.

In terms of stats alone(hitbox size, weight, average damage and speed, jump height, etc), I calculated that Rosalina is by far the worst character (unles you take Luma into consideration, which is literally inferior to Rosie), only the best or second best character because the existence of Luma renders these stats useless. Only Olimar has a degree of agreement on tier placement nearing something Rosalina does, and that's quite vague(somewhere botttom tier).

Nerfs to Rosaluma should go to Luma(like less health), and buffs should go to Rosie(like making her not die at 70% from smashes everywhere)at the same time unless it's extremely small nerfs like this. In the case that something like that isn't followed, Rosalina will end up either broken or screwed, the result of a pet character not being properly balanced, as the margin of error in balancing them is like 20* higher. Never should something like Luma, completely worse in itself then the statistically worst character bring said worst character to the top.

Just look at Ice Climbers, the only character better than them in Brawl was a broken, cheap, insanely fast character that was from one of Masahiro's own series. If it takes that much bias and poor balancing to make a character better than Ice Climbers, then the problem is clear. Ice climbers isn't a leader and a weaker pet. It's a leader, and a Pet that is actually better in some moves(fair for example). they can chaingrab, they also have great recovery, and have massive damage racking because 2 equal characters(a fully charged dsmash could do up to <b>58%</b>). then there's Olimar, who is guaranteed bottom tier, but was just under the already mentioned Ice Climbers, because he was a pet character.

But pet characters are supposed to be hard to use. Micromanaging in a battle should be hard for beginners, right? right, but anyone at a casual level of skill or above has enough skill to micromanage, but IC and Olimar still had tactics that made them in those tiers. But Rosalina needs no micromanagement. needs almost no protection, and some beginners can adopt the "If Luma dies run away for 8 seconds" thing that even some pros do. And Luma is normally in front of Rosalina to block surprise projectiles, people tend to space their smashes for Luma, which while their fault, just increases the complaining that much, because i can remember about 100 different examples of this on FG, 50 of which cost me a stock. Rosalina is supposed to be hard to use, not having the same skill wall as Meta Knight.

tl;dr Rosalina herself would not be very good, The way Luma works breaks her. Ice Climbers was improperly made and only beaten by Metagame Knight, and Olimar was just below them. But Rosie is way easier to use than them, which was the main balancing factor for pet characters. NOTHING should bring the statistically worst character to the top the way Luma did. Ever.

Last edited:

gameprodigy12

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gameprodigy12
3DS FC
2423-2583-7165
First thing: we don't nerf Rosalina herself. And we don't make the 4the lightest character even lighter.

Yeah yeah, Rosalina has Luma, but her star-shaped companion is far lighter than Jigglypuff. You can kill Luma with a Smash attack from anywhere. Also Rosalina is light, tall, slow, weak and lacking in good taunts. Luma is her only saving grace, without it she would be bottom tier.

The amount of people saying Rosalina should be easier to kill makes me lol, yet worried. People begged for a drastically longer respawn time, we get a 50% longer one. Rosalina's weight is 78, only 10 points higher than Jigglypuff, 1 higher than Kirby and 20 lighter than mario, yet see the difference it makes. The next nerf people were begging for on Rosalina was her being lighter. If Nintendo takes the same route , it will have a much bigger effect than respawn time.

In terms of stats alone(hitbox size, weight, average damage and speed, jump height, etc), I calculated that Rosalina is by far the worst character (unles you take Luma into consideration, which is literally inferior to Rosie), only the best or second best character because the existence of Luma renders these stats useless. Only Olimar has a degree of agreement on tier placement nearing something Rosalina does, and that's quite vague(somewhere botttom tier).

Nerfs to Rosaluma should go to Luma(like less health), and buffs should go to Rosie(like making her not die at 70% from smashes everywhere)at the same time unless it's extremely small nerfs like this. In the case that something like that isn't followed, Rosalina will end up either broken or screwed, the result of a pet character not being properly balanced, as the margin of error in balancing them is like 20* higher. Never should something like Luma, completely worse in itself then the statistically worst character bring said worst character to the top.

Just look at Ice Climbers, the only character better than them in Brawl was a broken, cheap, insanely fast character that was from one of Masahiro's own series. If it takes that much bias and poor balancing to make a character better than Ice Climbers, then the problem is clear. Ice climbers isn't a leader and a weaker pet. It's a leader, and a Pet that is actually better in some moves(fair for example). they can chaingrab, they also have great recovery, and have massive damage racking because 2 equal characters(a fully charged dsmash could do up to <b>58%</b>). then there's Olimar, who is guaranteed bottom tier, but was just under the already mentioned Ice Climbers, because he was a pet character.

But pet characters are supposed to be hard to use. Micromanaging in a battle should be hard for beginners, right? right, but anyone at a casual level of skill or above has enough skill to micromanage, but IC and Olimar still had tactics that made them in those tiers. But Rosalina needs no micromanagement. needs almost no protection, and some beginners can adopt the "If Luma dies run away for 8 seconds" thing that even some pros do. And Luma is normally in front of Rosalina to block surprise projectiles, people tend to space their smashes for Luma, which while their fault, just increases the complaining that much, because i can remember about 100 different examples of this on FG, 50 of which cost me a stock. Rosalina is supposed to be hard to use, not having the same skill wall as Meta Knight.

tl;dr Rosalina herself sucks. The way Luma works breaks her. Ice Climbers was improperly made and only beaten by Metagame Knight, and Olimar was just below them. But Rosie is way easier to use than them, which was the main balancing factor for pet characters. NOTHING should bring the statistically worst character to the top the way Luma did. Ever.
Rosalina herself doesn't suck and isn't bottom tier, in fact she would be high tier at most and low high at least. Also she isn't weak but instead she is strong. She is not the worst character but one of the best with or without luma. Stats here have never matter and certainly not now especially.

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
Rosalina herself doesn't suck and isn't bottom tier, in fact she would be high tier at most and low high at least. Also she isn't weak but instead she is strong. She is not the worst character but one of the best with or without luma. Stats here have never matter and certainly not now especially.
Of course not. She's decen ton her own. But I think stats mean a lot to Nintendo, balance-wise. Which means that while making Rosalina, they hypothetically see her as terrible character stat-wise, and make this Luma as a companion, with even weaker stats than her as to not make Ice Climbers 2.0. They disallowed grabbing on Luma for even less IC,

Like that mattered. The positioning of Luma alone is so good, that it stops so many attack in their tracks. If they honestly made Luma behind Rosalina, this complaining would have never exsited. The offense of Luma was never the problem, the sheer defense she provides (almost immunity from 1-hit projectiles, pummel immunity, extra target to hit and hits being accidentally directed at it, causing free hits) is too good.

Same way how most of what made Olimar so good, and IC Climbers so good in Brawl are the advanced strategies as in what Pikmin to use, and a massive variety of counterpicking just for the best terrain to battle the oncoming character. Oh, and broken chaingrabs for IC. And inversed, what really nailed the coffin for Olimar in ssb4, his nerfs sucked, but the stupidity of the AI, the lowered FPS, and hardware limitations of the 3DS is what done him in. As in outside forces like hardware and strategies have far more effect than the moves themselves.

Last edited:

gameprodigy12

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gameprodigy12
3DS FC
2423-2583-7165
Of course not. She's decen ton her own. But I think stats mean a lot to Nintendo, balance-wise. Which means that while making Rosalina, they hypothetically see her as terrible character stat-wise, and make this Luma as a companion, with even weaker stats than her as to not make Ice Climbers 2.0. Like that mattered. The positioning of Luma alone is so good, that it stops so many attack in their tracks. If they honestly made Luma behind Rosalina, this complaining would have never exsited.

Same way how most of what made Olimar so good, and IC Climbers so good in Brawl are the advanced strategies as in what Pikmin to use, and a massive variety of counterpicking just for the best terrain to battle the oncoming character. Oh, and broken chaingrabs for IC. And inversed, what really nailed the coffin for Olimar in ssb4, his nerfs sucked, but the stupidity of the AI, the lowered FPS, and hardware limitations of the 3DS is what done him in. As in outside forces like hardware and strategies have far more effect than the moves themselves.
Ag ok I see what you mean more clearly now. To Nintendo she's a terrible character because of stats, but to the majority of the community in the competitive scene, she isn't alone or with Luma. It's mainly the advanced strategies, I agree which Rosalina has the most potential out of anyone in the roster.

Thanks for being nice and clarifying unlike the vocal minority has been today.

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
Ag ok I see what you mean more clearly now. To Nintendo she's a terrible character because of stats, but to the majority of the community in the competitive scene, she isn't alone or with Luma. It's mainly the advanced strategies, I agree which Rosalina has the most potential out of anyone in the roster.

Thanks for being nice and clarifying unlike the vocal minority has been today.
Good. If it further gets my point across, I just want to get this straight. I wanted Rosalina nerfed. Not meta Knight nerfed, but with a small balance of slight nerfs and buffs with the former clearly shining, being slightly higher in number and more than slightly more drastic. Even Meta Knight got buffedLike this:

Luma respawn time to 20 seconds
Luma can be called out of tumble
Launch Star consumes Luma for a 10 second respawn
Normal Star Bit goes way farther, Floating bit goes faster, farther and is stronger , Shooting Bit shoots slower (Custom Balance)
Luma HP now 40
Luma now lighter (is a good thing really, if it was heavier a potential 40hp combo would be possible)

As you see, buffs and nerfs. Meta Knight actually has a better Drill Rush, his Shuttle Loop does more damage, and forward smash is now relevant.

Last edited:

gameprodigy12

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gameprodigy12
3DS FC
2423-2583-7165
Good. If it further gets my point across, I just want to get this straight. I wanted Rosalina nerfed. Not meta Knight nerfed, but with a small balance of slight nerfs and buffs with the former clearly shining, being slightly higher in number and more than slightly more drastic. Even Meta Knight got buffedLike this:

Luma respawn time to 20 seconds
Luma can be called out of tumble
Launch Star consumes Luma for a 10 second respawn
Normal Star Bit goes way farther, Floating bit goes faster, farther and is stronger , Shooting Bit shoots slower (Custom Balance)
Luma HP now 40
Luma now lighter (is a good thing really, if it was heavier a potential 40hp combo would be possible)

As you see, buffs and nerfs. Meta Knight actually has a better Drill Rush, his Shuttle Loop does more damage, and forward smash is now relevant.
Yeah I see but I'll disagree with the luma respawn to 20s, 13 might be fine when wii u version comes, and disagree with the Launch star consuming Luma(even though that is a canon thing).

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Yeah I see but I'll disagree with the luma respawn to 20s, 13 might be fine when wii u version comes, and disagree with the Launch star consuming Luma(even though that is a canon thing).
Lumas can transform into Launch Stars, but Launch Stars are not exclusively formed from Lumas. Many of them just exist already.

Rosalina being able to make them herself isn't too outrageous canon wise as it is believable from what we know about her ("anything a Luma can do, their mother can do better!").

gameprodigy12

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gameprodigy12
3DS FC
2423-2583-7165
Lumas can transform into Launch Stars, but Launch Stars are not exclusively formed from Lumas. Many of them just exist already.

Rosalina being able to make them herself isn't too outrageous canon wise as it is believable from what we know about her ("anything a Luma can do, their mother can do better!").
I know, I'm just saying it's a canon thing the Lumas can do. So can Rosalina.

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
I know, I'm just saying it's a canon thing the Lumas can do. So can Rosalina.
Ok, so i have an idea. Launch Star with Luma nearby goes slightly (10%) further and consumes. Luma not nearby, it acts as normal. If Luma is gone, it goes the length of Launch Star Attack and retains momentum. Launch Star Plus would always get the boosted distance and never consume Luma, while Launch Star Attack would normally have momentum, and only lose momentum when Luma is gone.

My justification is that two things working together at the same thing usually makes it better. Like the whole point of Pet characters, and why they're powerful in all the Smashes they were in (except ssb4 Olimar but that's hardware issues)

Last edited:

speedguy20

Smash Cadet
NNID
speedguy20
I say if you grab Rosalina, then Luma shouldn't be able to attack. This way it's not bs that grabs are completely useless with Luma around. I do think that Luma having a 40hp nerf would be really fair.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I say if you grab Rosalina, then Luma shouldn't be able to attack. This way it's not bs that grabs are completely useless with Luma around. I do think that Luma having a 40hp nerf would be really fair.
Even if the Luma is around though, a fighter can still successfully throw Rosalina before the Luma has any chance to intervene. The Luma's placement is quite vital if you don't want Rosalina to get grabbed so easily.

Top Bottom