• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Random Thought About Characters

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
I realize a lot of people here are actually behaving quite civil, and aren't the raving lunatics that people seem to picture when they imagine character debates and such. I've seen exceptions to this of course, but at the moment people pretty much seem to be getting along. That said, I think we all have the potential to be lunatics at times, and feel entitled to something we aren't, so I thought I'd share this thought to help with those times.

We all have characters we want to see in the next smash game (Ridley and Krystal FTW!); some care much more about there characters getting in then others, but I daresay we all have at least one whose inclusion (assuming it is done well) would make us happier.

One thing to bare in mind though, is not even Sakuria, the most important person in this games production, gets all the characters he wants. For example we know that a number of characters in Brawl were originally meant to be in Melee. And what about the forbidden seven. While we can't be sure it seems likely that at some point in the development process Sakurai wanted those characters in Brawl, but it didn't happen. Sure he decides which characters get priority, but I'm sure even he has to answer to someone. Sure said person probably doesn't question his every move, but if he prioritized his own interest above the overall quality of the game, I'm sure he'd have some explaining to do.

Sure he got Ice climbers into the series, which if memory serves that was one of his favorite games growing up, but his highest priority has always been making these good games, and if that means someone he wants to see gets cut, they get cut. This is his baby, and even he doesn't always get to see what he wants. How much less should we then be judgmental of this game, when we don't get what we want, considering this isn't our baby at all. If somehow this game were to completely suck (which it won't), what would we have lost? Nothing. We would not have gotten what we wanted, but unless we deemed to the game to be worth our money anyway (which would be our fault), we would have lost nothing. Whereas if the game sucks, Sakuria looses years worth of effort.

Now I'm not saying we shouldn't express our views on what characters should be in the game, and why we think they should be. I'm certainly not saying we shouldn't discuss who we think is likely to make an appearance either. That is part of the reason this place exists after all. I just wanted to share a thought one can remind themselves if ever they feel as if they are being just a bit to entitled. I know this thought helps me.

TL;DR: If Sakuria doesn't get everything he wants, neither will you.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
Well said, bro. You are wise beyond your post count. =p

Our time is much better spent discussing gameplay and things regarding the nature of the game than discussing character inclusion and trying to reason it out, which will always be a fruitless effort in the long run.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Well said, bro. You are wise beyond your post count. =p

Our time is much better spent discussing gameplay and things regarding the nature of the game than discussing character inclusion and trying to reason it out, which will always be a fruitless effort in the long run.
None of this inclusion discussion will even matter as soon as they're all revealed/the game is out anyway. So I agree.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I've been trying to ease myself into becoming more competitive in the game and I think I'll be starting with SSB4, so personally I hope the mechanics are good for that. Even if they aren't, I had a blast being better than everyone I know in Brawl besides prat falling, so as long as the mechanics aren't obnoxious enough so that I can't have fun in the game, I'll probably be playing it for a long time.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I've been trying to ease myself into becoming more competitive in the game and I think I'll be starting with SSB4, so personally I hope the mechanics are good for that. Even if they aren't, I had a blast being better than everyone I know in Brawl besides prat falling, so as long as the mechanics aren't obnoxious enough so that I can't have fun in the game, I'll probably be playing it for a long time.
Unless you have lost intrest in the series even i bet Sm4sh > Brawl.

And i am a extremly negative guy.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Unless you have lost intrest in the series even i bet Sm4sh > Brawl.

And i am a extremly negative guy.
I can tell from your posts :rotfl:

But there's no doubt about it, SSB4 is probably going to beat Brawl.
I love all my babies the same though.

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
I can tell from your posts :rotfl:

But there's no doubt about it, SSB4 is probably going to beat Brawl.
I love all my babies the same though.
Beat brawl in what? General awesomeness? Maybe. I personally got considerably more enjoyment out of melee then the orignal SSB, but Brawl and Melee are hard to compare. They had very different strengths. There were more characters I enjoyed playing in brawl, and subspace was interesting the first time through. Melee had a very different feel that I liked, the event matches felt more inspired to me, and I kinda liked adventure mode the way it was. It's hard to imagine the next entry int he series won't have strengths and weaknesses as well. I look forward to it, as no entry in the series has ever been bad.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Beat brawl in what? General awesomeness? Maybe. I personally got considerably more enjoyment out of melee then the orignal SSB, but Brawl and Melee are hard to compare. They had very different strengths. There were more characters I enjoyed playing in brawl, and subspace was interesting the first time through. Melee had a very different feel that I liked, the event matches felt more inspired to me, and I kinda liked adventure mode the way it was. It's hard to imagine the next entry int he series won't have strengths and weaknesses as well. I look forward to it, as no entry in the series has ever been bad.
Ahem. Yes.
And I'm not going to compare Brawl and Melee because I never got to experience Melee with many other people other than my brothers whereas I've been in brawl wi-fi tournaments (back when I wasn't really good at the game) and played with friends at parties (after I became good at it. So satisfying.) It's hard for me to compare the two.

Top Bottom