• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

RAM Voltage: What does it mean?

KishPrime

King of the Ship of Fools
BRoomer
I am getting a motherboard that supplies 1.8V to the RAM slots. It supports DD2 1066 , but I'm finding that they all rate at 2V minimum. What does this mean? Can I not use the 1066 ram? Sorry, I'm a complete n00b at computer building.

KOdEx

Smash Cadet
Ram voltage is the amount of power required for the RAM to run at optimal settings. The worst that could happen is If the voltages don't match up you can possibly fry your motherboard(It's happened to me, but i had a cheap mobo). Or because your motherboard is only putting out 1.8v it won't run at 1066 or the specified timings. Best thing to do is if you're getting a name brand motherboard is check the manufacturer's website and if they're good they'll list all their suggested RAM modules or if you do volt modding(changing the amount of power supplied to the ram).

Top Bottom