• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

R.O.B.'s Weakness?

D

Deleted member

Can someone please enlighten me on how ROB is 'balanced'? Because from just about every ROB match I've played against has me convinced that ROB completely broken. His Laser charges way too fast, the gyro can come out of nowhere and can wreck all kinds of havoc and do not even get me started on his BS-No-Landing-Lag Neutral Air. Every ROB just spams these 3 moves and yet still I have no clue how to fight this thing; every time I try to get close: N-Air or Gyro, and when I'm on the other side of the stage: Laser and Gyro.
I feel like I'm missing something HUGE with this whole thing, I mean, how in the world am I supposed to punish his No-Lag N-Air?! If I shield it and try to go in I get a Gyro to the face, if I keep my shield up until after the Gyro I get grabbed or punished... I saved a replay of me trying to fight one of these ROBs and can upload it to YouTube and then link it here if it'll help illustrate my frustration. I can't be the only one who struggles with this matchup...

(Maybe this is how other people feel when I destroy them with my mains...)

Lunix7

Smash Apprentice
Can someone please enlighten me on how ROB is 'balanced'? Because from just about every ROB match I've played against has me convinced that ROB completely broken. His Laser charges way too fast, the gyro can come out of nowhere and can wreck all kinds of havoc and do not even get me started on his BS-No-Landing-Lag Neutral Air. Every ROB just spams these 3 moves and yet still I have no clue how to fight this thing; every time I try to get close: N-Air or Gyro, and when I'm on the other side of the stage: Laser and Gyro.
I feel like I'm missing something HUGE with this whole thing, I mean, how in the world am I supposed to punish his No-Lag N-Air?! If I shield it and try to go in I get a Gyro to the face, if I keep my shield up until after the Gyro I get grabbed or punished... I saved a replay of me trying to fight one of these ROBs and can upload it to YouTube and then link it here if it'll help illustrate my frustration. I can't be the only one who struggles with this matchup...

(Maybe this is how other people feel when I destroy them with my mains...)
Well for starters R.O.B. has a lot of weaknesses. Due to his weight and floaty nature he gets juggled very easily. Being floaty also makes it harder for R.O.B. to get back on the stage from above since he is such a huge target. He also has limited air attacks aside from Nair when getting back from the stage from above. R.O.B.'s recovery is also very predictable and is easy to edge guard.

What characters do you use? And out of those characters you play as who do you struggle the most when fighting R.O.B.? I will be able to help you more If I knew your characters. Also showing that video can help as well.

Seeing as I see Pit and Olimar on your favorites (I don't know if you still use these characters but I will assume) then here goes my best advice:

for :4pit:: Imo pit has a good advantage over R.O.B. due to being a rushdown character (which R.O.B. hates). You should try to get close to R.O.B. as much as possible but also be wary of space since R.O.B.'s Nair covers a lot of ground. Though his Nair is punishable if you are up close and block the attack which in this case grab would be you best punish.

Pit's grab game is amazing and he benefits from a lot of combos. Be on the offensive and don't give the R.O.B. a chance to breathe to put pressure on the opponent. You also have superior aerial attacks then R.O.B. (besides Nair) to combat R.O.B. when he is coming back from the stage whether it be off-stage or above.

for :4olimar:: I'll be honest I don't really know olimar that well so I will let someone else give you the advice for this one.

well I hope this helps you out!

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Pit's not really a rushdown fighter, though I agree with everything else.

R.O.B. definitely isn't broken: he's slow, clunky, has a huge hitbox and can get juggled like nobody's business. That said, his zoning game is second to none and he has some very impressive aerials. As with any zoner, then, you need to respect his space while you pressure him. Apply the right amount of pressure and keep the heat on, R.O.B.'s weaknesses will become clear.

InsaneSanity

Smash Rookie
NNID
InsaneSanity
3DS FC
3797-7902-2713
I find it very hard to deal with people who just gets in my face. In fact, I especially dislike fighting against Pits who do that. Once you get past the projectiles and get in his face, keep him in the air. Like what they have said above, ROB has a hard time getting out of combos. Many of his attacks have significant start up which provides him with no useful moves to break combos.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Let's see... large frame and floatiness make it very easy to get juggled and very difficult recovering to the stage from above, laggy aerials in general make it hard to escape combos once we're caught, no real way of dealing with rushdown (especially if they have a reflector and/or a way of camping us out like Fox and Pikachu), easily gimpable/vulnerable to spikes during Up-B...
Yeah, there's a lot more than you can imagine. R.O.B.'s far from broken, friend. Annoying to face, probably, (not like I would know since I use him myself and nobody really uses him online, lol) but not broken. Truth is, there are way better characters in this game if you wanna talk about "broken characters."
also you main Pit and you're complaining about R.O.B? come on...

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
As everyone said, ROB is brutally punished for any mistakes he makes. U just need to know how to deal with his wall, it's not hard if the said rob player is bad at zoning (constantly uses laser and gyro over everything, not using Fair, Bair, Nair for spacing, gyro is left to die with no protection, Etc...). You can even look at other fighting games and see how they deal with projectile zoning. Or you can pick up a zoning character yourself and see who it works to identify key weaknesses against your opponent's zoning.

Last edited:

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Combo food
Very predictable/punishable recovery
Short tilt range
Struggles vs short and rush down chars
Projectiles are easy to dodge and give visual cues so you know to power shield.
Big target

Versing nair:
Challenge it before he lands. Don't sit in shield.
If the rob isn't good at fast falling and autocancelling nair, then it's ez to punish.
Otherwise, power shield the landing and punish with about a frame 3 or less move.
If you can't seem to master this, then respect the nair but don't respect what he does afterwards. Does he roll away? Roll behind? Jab? Dtilt? Does he nair inside and uptilt? Grab? Shield? A ROB usually has a few habits here. Pick them out.

Best way to beat the nair tho is to challenge it early. Meet ROB in the air before the nair has a chance to spin around.

ROB isn't broken. I wish he was <3

Last edited:

Artmastercorey

Smash Journeyman
I actually feel the same way about rob and him being difficult to fight. I play as toonlink and find it easier to fight the s tier characters than a rob. It seems to me like he's hard to punish. Like he has really good frame data, his projectiles are super fact and the gyro literally stays out, and like the first person said he lacks any aerial lag so its hard to see any gaps or opening to attack rob. Even if he does his rotating attacks and you shield them sometimes its still difficult to actually punish him because he rolls away before you can actually hit him due to lack of end lag/ great frame data. I just dont see how rob is slow, he seems to be pretty speedy to me from a toonlinks player's perspective.

Last edited:

3bubby

Smash Rookie
I'm trying to figure out how to dance with ROB myself. He reminds of Pacman in that he has a presence in the air and two neutral-disrupting projectiles. It's not my favorite way to play, but resisting pressure and punishing lag might be the best thing for fighting ROB. For now, until I can figure out what to do with my main.

Good luck!

Top Bottom