• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Resource icon

Guide R.O.B. Gyro spiking (Video)

Gotmilk0112

Smash Apprentice
Huh.

That seems horrendously OP, being able to easily stage spike while still being on the platform. Let's hope Ninty doesn't fix it...

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Huh.

That seems horrendously OP, being able to easily stage spike while still being on the platform. Let's hope Ninty doesn't fix it...
The setup covers 5 options:
Get up, get up attack, ledge jump, roll, ledge stall (this does not work on all chars. for example Sonic).

The first 4 options lead to upsmash, the last one leads to a stage spike.

Easy to avoid tho. You can simply let go and grab the gyro, regrab the ledge, go around it if your character allows, insta toss, and I'm sure there's other ways.

Gotmilk0112

Smash Apprentice
Hrm...I can't seem to get it to work. Does it only work on certain stages with thin edges, and/or only certain characters?

And is there some kind of timing to it?

Jams.

+15 Attack
NNID
DumberChild
The setup covers 5 options:
Get up, get up attack, ledge jump, roll, ledge stall (this does not work on all chars. for example Sonic).

The first 4 options lead to upsmash, the last one leads to a stage spike.

Easy to avoid tho. You can simply let go and grab the gyro, regrab the ledge, go around it if your character allows, insta toss, and I'm sure there's other ways.
This probably warrants more testing, but from my experience it also covers ledge drop against some characters, essentially guaranteeing a punish. This video shows that ledge drops vary among the cast, and groups the cast into 3 different tiers of ledge drop.
I believe the characters with the worst ledge drops will still be hit by gyro, but have not confirmed this in training mode. I've played games with DK and Duck Hunt players who told me they couldn't ledge drop to avoid the set-up though. On the other hand, Sheik, who's in the second tier, can definitely avoid this set-up by ledge dropping.

Last edited:

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
This probably warrants more testing, but from my experience it also covers ledge drop against some characters, essentially guaranteeing a punish. This video shows that ledge drops vary among the cast, and groups the cast into 3 different tiers of ledge drop.
I believe the characters with the worst ledge drops will still be hit by gyro, but have not confirmed this in training mode. I've played games with DK and Duck Hunt players who told me they couldn't ledge drop to avoid the set-up though. On the other hand, Sheik, who's in the second tier, can definitely avoid this set-up by ledge dropping.
When ROB is facing off the stage, and they commit to the spike setup.
ANSWER: Roll.

When ROB faces towards the stage, and commits to the upsmash.
ANSWER: Regrab ledge, insta toss, aerial grab, take a detour.

When ROB faces towards the stage, and doesn't commit to anything (optimal option).
ANSWER: Let go > jump > airdodge, take a detour, stay on ledge if gyro doesn't hit your fingers.

There are a few more scenarios but this about covers it.

Jams.

+15 Attack
NNID
DumberChild
When ROB is facing off the stage, and they commit to the spike setup.
ANSWER: Roll.

When ROB faces towards the stage, and commits to the upsmash.
ANSWER: Regrab ledge, insta toss, aerial grab, take a detour.

When ROB faces towards the stage, and doesn't commit to anything (optimal option).
ANSWER: Let go > jump > airdodge, take a detour, stay on ledge if gyro doesn't hit your fingers.

There are a few more scenarios but this about covers it.
I'm sorry, but I don't see how your response is really related to my post, and I understand the counterplay to ROB's gyro set-ups. My point was that from my personal experience, not all characters can safely ledge drop ("Let go") versus the gyro set-up, and they will still be hit even if they choose this option. Then I linked a video and hypothesized that the characters Reflex lists as being in the worst tier of ledge drops will probably be hit out of them by gyro, but more in-depth testing would be needed before drawing a solid conclusion. Have you already performed this testing or have anecdotal evidence against this?

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
I'm sorry, but I don't see how your response is really related to my post, and I understand the counterplay to ROB's gyro set-ups. My point was that from my personal experience, not all characters can safely ledge drop ("Let go") versus the gyro set-up, and they will still be hit even if they choose this option. Then I linked a video and hypothesized that the characters Reflex lists as being in the worst tier of ledge drops will probably be hit out of them by gyro, but more in-depth testing would be needed before drawing a solid conclusion. Have you already performed this testing or have anecdotal evidence against this?
All characters can because by the time they regrab the ledge the gyro is gone and I am committing to an upsmash. If I'm not committing to that, then I presented counter options that the entire cast can do except take a detour. I don't see how that can't work.
Mayhaps we're on two diff pages here.

Also, a fun note is that greninja can get up and perfect shield due to the shape of his body lol. Need to 100% test this.

Nothing is 100% tested. But I am providing concrete options that do work among the cast. I will be highly surprised if at least one of them doesn't work. Im rly sleepy at the moment. Perhaps we could do a skype call and discuss/test this further & report the results here.

Last edited:

Jams.

+15 Attack
NNID
DumberChild
I finally tested this, and Mister Eric Mister Eric is correct. All characters are able to ledge drop to avoid the gyro set-up and then either double jump aerial to grab it, airdodge and insta-toss it, or anything else. Kind of a shame. I guess as the anti gyro edgeguard meta develops and more players begin to do this, we'll just have to adapt accordingly.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
I finally tested this, and Mister Eric Mister Eric is correct. All characters are able to ledge drop to avoid the gyro set-up and then either double jump aerial to grab it, airdodge and insta-toss it, or anything else. Kind of a shame. I guess as the anti gyro edgeguard meta develops and more players begin to do this, we'll just have to adapt accordingly.
And there's plenty more!
For example, Pac-Man can do a ledge get up into shield.
Greninja can do the same but only when the gyro is bouncing immediately after tossing it down (see below for better option).
Marth and Roy can do a get up attack only while the gyro is bouncing at a certain height (almost unreliable).
4 characters can simply wait on the ledge bc their finger hurt boxes are too small to be hit by gyro:
Ganon
Greninja
Sonic
Wario

Been doing gyro setups since January haha. You kind of just figure it out as ya go

Last edited:

Constadin

Smash Apprentice
Ok guys a nice mix up is the following. With your oppenent offstage seconds before grabing the edge,instead of rolling and droping the gyro to run for the up smash, try jumping and throwing it down (smash throw not z drop). The gyro instead of bouncing to the edge, it falls down and stage spikes the oppenent. It is not the best option but it can catch ppl offguard that expect the inverse gyro to up smash set up and are too focused to escaping it (so best used when your opponent is aware of the set up). Just found out about it today actually :p

Constadin

Smash Apprentice
Actually the more I use it, the better it gets in my mind. The way I see it, if the opponent is recovering low and you throw it like I mentioned, he either dodges it or gets it in the face and is forced to tech or die. In case he chooses to dodge before his up b to snap the ledge, normally you should be about to land and that is when you should dair to spike him after the dodge. I did this against cpus (sadly not any friend around to test it atm) and it seem to works. Good staff !
:happysheep:

Top Bottom