• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

R.O.B. gyro jab lock?

Pineapple_

Smash Cadet

It seems that ROB's gyro, jab locks on Captain Falcon. I tested this on Falcon, and it seems he can't tech in time. I tried this on other characters, but they either DI, grab, or jump out of the gyro.

Smudges

and we're back.
NNID
Smudges0
This is an interesting find, although it seems situational. Seems like it requires very very precise spacing....

How are the CPUs DI-ing out of this? I was under the impression that all CPUs DI the same way.
I'm pretty sure that training mode CPUs set to stop never tech.
How are they grabbing or jumping out of the gyro? They attack/jump before landing? If so, this setup might work on more characters at slightly higher percents, because of increased hitstun.

Pineapple_

Smash Cadet
You're right, it's on all on spacing. Sorry my fault, they don't DI, they jump of the way or grab the gyro before falling to the ground.

I did this on lv9 cpus, but today I'm going to do more testing on this with an actual player.

From what I tested, characters such as bowser(heavyweight), can tech out of this by either jumping out of the wayor grabbing the gyro, but a lv.9 falcon always gets jab locked and does not tech from this.

I will let you know when I get on later.

Pineapple_

Smash Cadet
This setup works on higher percents, but the opponent can easily DI out of this. I tried....

That's why I have them set at a lower percent such as 0%

Smudges

and we're back.
NNID
Smudges0
Cool. Even if it is situational, it's a good suprise maneuver. If you could master it, it could secure stocks at higher percents easily.

nintendonaut

Smash Rookie
Are you Instant Gyro Cancelling into that D-tilt, or just stopping then D-tilting?

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
I experimented with this a lot a while back but haven't really found any way to implement it practically. The difficult thing about it is that you need to throw the opponent a little bit besides the gyro for it to lock since the opponent needs to be grounded right before the hitbox connects. If he lands on top of the gyro it won't lock.

Anyway, there could probably be some situational uses for this that i haven't thought about!

Last edited:

Pixel_

Smash Ace
Well, it's a lot better than the one I came up with.
>> (advertising) <<
You should probably try it with characters that have similar fall speed, like :4megaman::4greninja::4feroy::4fox: if you haven't already.

I don't think there's been any good way to gyro lock yet without extremely precise spacing, and with the nature of it itself (they have to land right next to the gyro, not too far or close), I pretty much gave up on the whole thing.

Pineapple_

Smash Cadet
You're right, it only works on the side of the gyro only.

Pixel, I already saw your video after I posted my mine. Thanks for sharing.

Top Bottom