• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

R.O.B Doubles Discussion

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
R.O.B is a very versatile team player, so let's discuss his tactics. Who is your partner & what do they play? Favorite stages? Any gimmicks you like abusing?

My partner uses Ike. He goes in while I stay behind, using laser/gyro to interrupt enemies and reset them to neutral. I do go in when he needs help. I also use fair to try and aid his recovery. He tries to counter my laser, so whenever he gets hit it negates damage & possibly hits an enemy.

Noteable strategies

Mario + R.O.B
Use FLUDD on R.O.B while he U-throws to kill both him and the enemy.

I'll add more as people contribute.

This is edited from an old thread, so the first few replies might not make sense.

Got a doubles tournament coming up. Here are some choices I have

• Ike
  • Marth
  • Sheik
  • Little Mac
I've been playing doubles for a bit online (For glory, so not exactly in depth analysis). Some characters I've liked to play with are:

• Mega Man
With 2 projectile spammers you can really keep the pressure on, especially since all the projectiles can reach across the stage. Might not work as well with team attack on.
  • Palutena
Getting on 1 side of the stage and have her put up a reflect barrier makes for some series stage control. Won't work nearly as well with team attack on.
  • Ganon
Now this one isn't really a strategy, but I feel ROB can really cover Ganon's weaknesses. You can use your lasers/gyros to interrupt enemies juggling him. ROB's attacks and throws have a lot of hitstun (Mainly U/Dthrow and Side B) and Ganon can really cash in on those. Lastly, all of Ganon's kill moves really help compensate for ROB's 2.

General tips are welcome, and in case you have tips outside of ROB, here are my other characters

Kirby, King DeDeDe, Bowser, Luigi.

Last edited:

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
When you say choices, I'm guessing you mean what kind of characters your partner can use.

First thing, define what kind of player you are. Are you campy? Are you good at aggro? In-between? Are you good at securing kills (remember, doubles is tricky for that, especially for up throws). You need to find a compliment to your style.

Also, do your best to get comfortable with Team Attack On. This is a tourney standard and idk how much experience that you have with it. Having 2 projectile spamming ppl on the same team could be chaos to your opponent but also to yourself.

I team with a sheik myself, and here is my approach for that:

First, if my opponent starts in front of me during the start of the match, I lean over and tell my teammate to jump, and then I shoot a laser under them and hit the opponent. With sheik, she usually uses bouncing fish which covers their jump option a lot of the time.

2nd, I enjoy being aggro in this comp bc sheik is really good at just being scary even when she's not in the fight. If you fighting, and she is just jumping around with empty jumps, the opponent sees her as a threat. This makes her a pest because if ROB gets in trouble, she swoops in. If your opponent is distracted by the Sheik, ROB can put in work. You guys are about even on kill ability. With the characters you listed above, I think Ike would be your best partner at securing kills. Also, if you want to stock tank, you have that option. You can fly away while at high %s and while they chase you, you teamie can punish them. You, too, can be a pest like Sheik. Sheik is beast with a gyro in her hand too.

Be careful with your projectiles since it's easy to attack your teamie.

These are just some quick thoughts.

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
When you say choices, I'm guessing you mean what kind of characters your partner can use.

First thing, define what kind of player you are. Are you campy? Are you good at aggro? In-between? Are you good at securing kills (remember, doubles is tricky for that, especially for up throws). You need to find a compliment to your style.

Also, do your best to get comfortable with Team Attack On. This is a tourney standard and idk how much experience that you have with it. Having 2 projectile spamming ppl on the same team could be chaos to your opponent but also to yourself.

I team with a sheik myself, and here is my approach for that:

First, if my opponent starts in front of me during the start of the match, I lean over and tell my teammate to jump, and then I shoot a laser under them and hit the opponent. With sheik, she usually uses bouncing fish which covers their jump option a lot of the time.

2nd, I enjoy being aggro in this comp bc sheik is really good at just being scary even when she's not in the fight. If you fighting, and she is just jumping around with empty jumps, the opponent sees her as a threat. This makes her a pest because if ROB gets in trouble, she swoops in. If your opponent is distracted by the Sheik, ROB can put in work. You guys are about even on kill ability. With the characters you listed above, I think Ike would be your best partner at securing kills. Also, if you want to stock tank, you have that option. You can fly away while at high %s and while they chase you, you teamie can punish them. You, too, can be a pest like Sheik. Sheik is beast with a gyro in her hand too.

Be careful with your projectiles since it's easy to attack your teamie.

These are just some quick thoughts.
It actually occurred to me after writing this that team attack was going to be on. Yea, the list was of a list of potential partners. Sorry for the OP being so sloppy, I was tired when I wrote it.

I'd say inbetween aggressive and campy. If I'm being covered or given the option I'll just stay to one side and camp, but if my team mate is being pressured I move in.

This will be my 3rd tournament, however it will be my first doubles tournament.

Last edited:

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
It actually occurred to me after writing this that team attack was going to be on. Yea, the list was of a list of potential partners. Sorry for the OP being so sloppy, I was tired when I wrote it.

I'd say inbetween aggressive and campy. If I'm being covered or given the option I'll just stay to one side and camp, but if my team mate is being pressured I move in.

This will be my 3rd tournament, however it will be my first doubles tournaments.
The biggest thing to be concerned about when being the one that covers your partner when he's in trouble, is that ROB is slow, especially when he's been knocked away. So your "best" option is to hit everyone with a laser. Which can either help or hurt your teamie depending on how everyone reacts to it.

Last edited:

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
The biggest thing to be concerned about when being the one that covers your partner when he's in trouble, is that ROB is slow, especially when he's been knocked away. So your "best" option is to hit everyone with a laser. Which can either help or hurt your teamie depending on how everyone reacts to it.
So let's assume the team is ROB and Sheik.

How should I start off? Bumrush at the beginning? Establish stage control? Maybe I should let sheik go and I hang in the back and provide support with lasers/gyros?

Doubles is a meta I've never dabbled in, in any smash game.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
So let's assume the team is ROB and Sheik.

How should I start off? Bumrush at the beginning? Establish stage control? Maybe I should let sheik go and I hang in the back and provide support with lasers/gyros?

Doubles is a meta I've never dabbled in, in any smash game.
Shiek is both ground and air based. If you hang in the back, and you try to create projectile coverage from afar, you might end up hitting her since she is fast and can easily jump in the line of fire. So you may have to go really high with your projectile game and get out of her short hop range. A lot of times, a doubles match will separate into two 1v1s. If that occurs, try to consider which MU you should take on, but never tunnel vision. If you hit your opponent off the stage, go provide coverage for your teamie. If your teamie is in trouble, be mindful of that. Always sit together, always communicate. It's going to take time. My best advice for now is to go and just try it out. See how it feels. It's going to be awkward with team attack on if you aren't used to it. So go and have fun and get used to that. Don't take it too serious. Test the waters and get back to me.

The Real Inferno

Smash Hero
I like to team with characters who can either cover big areas with their attacks and thus benefit greatly from ROB's great zoning abilities or get very early kills. My regular teammate runs Charizard and we get a lot out of ROB's quick damage racking up before Zard lands an fsmash or flare blitz. Just the threat of those moves allows ROB to be more annoying when Charizard is lurking nearby as well. I also enjoy teaming with Marth thanks to his large hitboxes being able to force opponents to stay in bad situations with me.

al-LAYN

Smash Cadet
I've been doing a lot of doubles recently, with a great variety of characters as my teammate. Overall, R.O.B. can't really afford to be campy in this "MU", in my opinion. There are situations when it's suitable, like a during a 2v1 (since it's a great way of dealing with both of your opponents when they're trying to apply pressure on you), but in the end, being overly campy can only hinder your team dynamic. Like Mister Eric said before, the Laser is your best approach when trying to help your teammate on a far away situation, not to mention, that it's a very useful tool when teaming up with G&W, Ness, etc. The Laser is a double edge sword, though, and you should always be diligent with it. If the match goes into a 1v1/1v1 situation (and chances are that it will at some point), then you can't really afford to throw lasers without considering that the Laser may mess up your teammate's approaches, combos, etc.

I know this thread has been inactive for awhile now, but hopefully more people will hop on and get to talk about R.O.B. and his play-style in doubles.

Last edited:

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
Updated this thread to make it a general doubles discussion topic. Contribute your team and gimmicks and I'll add the to the OP.

Top Bottom