• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

R.O.B. Custom Moves Discussion

PowerHungryFool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Power-HF
3DS FC
1504-6251-0700
Switch FC
SW-7375-5375-8309
Seeing all of R.O.B.'s custom moves now that smash 4 has been out for awhile, what do you guys think of them? I find myself loving the custom high speed burner. It allows for less predictable recovery and while it doesn't have the insanely good range of his robo burner it still has great recovery distance. I haven't found much use for his other custom moves yet, but I'd love to see what other R.O.B. mains have found to be useful.

Last edited:

Trekkerjoe

Smash Journeyman
Likewise on the Robo-Flight, it is part of my smash-run configuration. Although I have not really taken an interest on the other custom moves since they are not online legal. However, this is not why I'm here.

I think it would be a good idea for people to post their preferred configurations for specific matchups. I have noticed some contradictory posts on ROB's matchups, and then someone mentioned that certain moves are good for fighting against different types of characters. That's when I realized this would be the perfect thread to showcase that.

Byxis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Byxis7
3DS FC
4656-8308-4770
My preferred R.O.B. custom set up is Standard Robo Beam, Reflector Arm, High Speed Burner, and Slip Gyro.

Robo Beam: Its the standard really. I never had a problem with it and for the most part, I prefer this over the other two. There's nothing I miss when using the other two that I would rather have over the standard Robo Beam.

Reflector Arm: While I do enjoy landing the uppercut on the Standard Rotor Arm, I love this custom one. It allows me to hover in the air and that means I can use this near a ledge and keep people from recovering better. It also sends people away rather than sucking them up.

High Speed Burner: Since they nerfed the air speed of the standard Robo Burner to make this custom legitimate, I prefer this one over the Standard Burner. Standard Burner just feels way too slow now that I use this faster one. In fact, the initial thrust from first activating it sends me flying. And I can get more out of it to go even longer by doing the old method of tapping B to extend the voyage.

Slip Gyro: Now this little bad boy works likes a dream! I find it to be superior to the normal Gyro in that not only does it deal damage but it causes wacky situations similar to Diddy's banana. However this Gyro doesn't disappear once you touch it, oh no. It stays active and keeps on tripping. It also goes at a nice angle when launched from the air.

Breadbot

Smash Cadet
I'm still playing with my custom options, but I have to say, so far slip gyro is one I'm sticking with.
It makes the almighty gyro even more of a threat, it doesn't do much damage coming out (I don't think), but it still does the same damage when tossed.
What makes it an absolute terror to your opponent is if they touch it coming out or when spinning, they will trip, and you can get some good follow ups out of it (I've usmashed a few kos out of it). It also just messes with approaches.
I played someone last night with it, and they were having a really hard time whether it be approaching me or getting knocked into it and getting hit with a follow up move.

doodbroh

Smash Rookie
Slip top is superior to ROB's regular gryo in every way possible. I've done a lot of testing and opens up so many options with the ability to trip people. It also has a heavier weight than the default gyro, so when you throw it upwards, it falls much faster. High speed burner is also the best option for his up-b, i can't really think of an argument against it; makes killing people off the top of the stage with u-air real EZ. as for his side-b and neutral-b i would stick with the default. I see where the wide angle beam could be very useful, but in all honesty the regular beam works just fine, and iirc you can't get a full charge on that version, but i could be wrong.

PowerHungryFool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Power-HF
3DS FC
1504-6251-0700
Switch FC
SW-7375-5375-8309
Slip top is superior to ROB's regular gryo in every way possible. I've done a lot of testing and opens up so many options with the ability to trip people. It also has a heavier weight than the default gyro, so when you throw it upwards, it falls much faster.
I've played around alot with the slip gyro, and I just can't get why everyone is saying it's better. It has it's own merits, but the damge penalty and and sliding just ruin it for me. The slipping is a great use for the gyro, but it just doesn't fit my style of play.

Klomorax

Smash Rookie
NNID
Klomorax
I like using the following :

Fire Gyro - More damage and makes them panic so is good for baiting.

Normal Laser - there's nothing wrong with it.

High Speed Burner - Faster, unpredictable and looks cooler :3

Standard Robo-Turner arm thing - For me it has damage, can reflect and KO so no point in changing.

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
IMO the only customs that stands out are the Fire/Slip gyro. The side customs suck, up customs are ok, and the neutral customs are just bad.

I prefer Fire gyro, though. Even if it does have a bit more lag.

It's All Fiction

Smash Rookie
Wide Angle Beam: You can reach any angle the old one could and more. Sure the damage is less, but it's an infinitely better edge guarding tool and you can be really creative with it given you know your geometry.

Reflector Arm: I didn't have much use for the standard one. It's hella satisfying to land that last uppercut, but overall i feel like there are safe tilts and aerials to go for.

Robo-Rocket: The spike hit-box makes it really good for mix-ups when people expect the D-Air. I totally respect and understand High-Speed Burner though.

Slip Gyro: I have issues deciding between slip gyro and standard gyro. I typically just go for slip because, it's slower, but ultimately just provides way better set-up options.

Edit: Wide Angle Beam is also faster

Last edited:

PowerHungryFool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Power-HF
3DS FC
1504-6251-0700
Switch FC
SW-7375-5375-8309
Wide Angle Beam: You can reach any angle the old one could and more. Sure the damage is less, but it's an infinitely better edge guarding tool and you can be really creative with it given you know your geometry.
Wide angle beam does less damage, and can't be bounced. The rare cases where an opponent is out of the default laser's range don't make it worth it, IMO.

PUK

Smash Ace
NNID
Simlock92
3DS FC
4141-4118-5477
Wide angle charges faster, with slightly less end lag it seems.
And it does bounce...

Shucklin

Smash Rookie
I also appeal to wide angle beam's usefulness. Its faster, charges faster, and yeah it does bounce and have a full charge like the regular. You can follow up alot with it, can hit them while recovering, and spam more. The regular is still good because of more damage and possible kills with the full charge if you hit them by the blastzone. I think that they're both equally viable just like both custom tops. Also I think that you can do some really cool mind game stuff with the flame top and the WAB together. But for upb theres one obvious choice and for side b even though I like the reflect one I think default is better.

Edit: also I think backwards arm rotor is worth a look. I've found it useful for follow ups. Probably isnt the best, but its worth experimentation

Last edited:

PUK

Smash Ace
NNID
Simlock92
3DS FC
4141-4118-5477
There is another topic where all of this have been already discussed anyway.

Informant

Smash Apprentice
California....just like every one else silly!
NNID
edpuga
3DS FC
1908-1488-2162
Switch FC
SW-1389-3088-9205
Beep. Sorry I am late, and I am sure everyone has updated their views, but if I may add my input:

Beam: standard works well for all situations. Fast charge beam: weaker, can't be angled as steep, charges slower, shorter range, doesn't bounce nor pass through opponents (big minus for team battles). I can't see anybody ever needing this one. Theoretically you can spam, but I personally think it has too much startup and endlag to really use this short ranged laser. Wide beam: great speed and angles of beam, charges fast, lower damage. I feel this one has a lot of potential if you can master the angles fired. You can snipe opponents far above or below the stage

Side b: Again, standard works well for most people. Reflector arm is my favorite because the extra reflecting time and reflecting power is a Godsend against many characters, and like Byxis said, it is good at pushing away characters, which is useful near the edge/offstage. Backwards arm: It seems useless compared to the other two

Up B: Again, like Byxis said, standard was nerfed so HSB can even exist. High speed burner: universally loved, can get back onstage faster than most. Can follow up easier on Dthrow This should be the new standard. Robo Rocket: You might be able to use this to escape combos and can meteor, but it is not worth it since you still have to land to recharge it

Down B: Standard gyro is great, most of us are probably used to it. Slip Gyro: Awesome tricks are possible if you can keep this near your opponent so they stay trippin, though it does slightly less damage. Fire Gyro: my favorite due to the higher damage, but the endlag is punishable at close range so I might go back to slip gyro

Beep. Boop!

Last edited:

Lizard_Buttock

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0130-1925-1807
I think there's some merit to Infinite laser, just because you can potentially zone better with it as it doesn't run out. It makes it a bit more spammable when you don't have access to the gyro, which I like. I don't mind it as much as others do.
Side-B I use both customs interchangeably. Reflector is better when the enemy has an annoying projectile (such as villager or Lucario), but backwards arm can sometimes gimp recoveries and is a lot safer than the other two. It can also reflect, but needs much better timing. Generally, if the opponent doesn't have a projectile, I use this, but I probably won't use it, it's just slightly less unsafe than the default.
Up-B is no question, high-speed all the way.
Down-B I always use slip. Fire has too much endlag for me (I like using gyros while they're close to me) and the slipping is so useful for tech chases.

Pixel_

Smash Ace
Is backwards Side-B really useless? I play pretty offensive, so I thought it'd be good.

Also, is it better for misinputs when used offstage?

Last edited:

Lizard_Buttock

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0130-1925-1807
Since Backwards Rotor is quicker, it won't screw you as much when you use it offstage, and it's an okay keep-away.

Top Bottom