• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Quick Starmie Dillemma...

takieddine

Smash Master
I have a Starmie modest, with 31 IV's in special attack. I was wondering what the general consensus would be, psychic or rapid spin? I've tested the power of surf(with a crappy splash plate) and its pretty amazing, it can OHKO many things up to pseudo special walls.

is rapid spin really worth it? (sounds like it can be a waste of a turn). I was thinking that I'd take advantage of STAB psychic to sweep an even wider variety of Pokemon

My current move choice is:

rapid spin
tbolt
ice beam
surf

Any advice is appreciated.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
yes, it gets rid of spikes

that's the moveset i'm using with my future starmie

remember to try and get max IVs in special attack and speed

psychic just doesn't ahve great type coverage, it's only super effective on fighting and poison, two of which the types tehre aren't many of
psychic is only supereffective on gengar, weezing, heracross, breloom, and infernape, with the exception of infernape, the others aren't used too often, and i think gengar is faster than starmie anyways...so

don't bother with it, stealth rock/spikes are much more often and very hurtful to a team

MasterMatt

Smash Journeyman
keep rapid spin.... its a crappy move, but i have lost a battle before because of spikes and stealth rock- it totally messes up ur pokes that r holding a focus sash....

Bekins

Smash Rookie
Rapid Spin isn't good without Recover. Well, all kinds of Starmie unless the choice glasses or the choice band (yeah lol) one aren't good without Recover.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
that's teh standard starmie he's using there

recover isn't that good on a poke that most likely will die in one hit

Bekins

Smash Rookie
Well, how many times do you think Starmie can use Rapid Spin, without Recover?
Most spikers/srockers can't 2hko starmie with some defense evs.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
starmie switches into spikes, rapid spins, dies/kills opponent next turn, if it's a spiker, it'll spike again usually, then starmie will use another rapid spin before the switch, hopefully it killed the spiker, then opponent's plan for spiking is completely ruined

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
Starmie is a horrible rapid spinner. The only thing it has on the others is that it is fast. Go with Recover over both RS and Psychic; otherwise, give it Psychic and Choice Specs.

If you want a Rapid Spinner that can still do some damage with it, use Armaldo or Donphan.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
starmie is a good rapid spinner

rapid spin isn't meant for damage, it's meant for getting rid of spikes,once it does that, most likely it can OHKO the opposing spinner

mood4food77

Smash Hero
then why does the standard starmie have that exact moveset with no EVs into attack all into special attack and speed?

mood4food77

Smash Hero
also, it's very hard for the spinner to switch out because of starmies incredibly versatile moveset, everything is goign to take at least neutral damage

lowradiation8989

Smash Journeyman
my starmie carries wise glasses, to slightly boost it's special moves.........mine's timid, with 350 speed and max spec atk (328)

i was actually thinking of choicescarfing it, considering how both weavile and aerodactyl are faster and can ohko it

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Starmie is a great Rapid Spin user.

She's sturdy for a special attacker or her calibur and she has Recover. Basically, Rapid Spin and Recover go hand-in-hand. You'll kinda need Recover if you plan on spinning. The converse isn't necessarily true, though.

Obviously, if you're going to use Choice Scarf, Rapid Spin is out of the question. Starmie is a decent switch-in to get rid of spikes, though I prefer waiting until a neutral round or coming in on a setup move to do so, as it extends her lifespan. She is quick and fairly strong, so not many things are going to stay in or switch in to her, but she can be bait for ghost types to come out of hiding to block your spin.

Starmie is cool.

Chiko_

Smash Apprentice
that's teh standard starmie he's using there

recover isn't that good on a poke that most likely will die in one hit
Recover is a must for the Rapid Spinner, of course. So is usually 352 Speed and 304 HP too, but that's kind of hard with an Modest Starmie.

I would probably try the CSpecs set, with Surf, BoltBeam and Grass Knot. The best option for a Modest Star.

fluffy

Smash Champion
whats the use of recover when starmie is most likely gonna get 1HKOed anywayz? starmie is supposed to get hurt by the spikes/toxic spikes/stealth rock, and rapid spin for the sacrifice. which in the long run, saves the a nice chunk of HP in your team.

this is only of course, your opponent uses spikes. if not, then just kick *** with starmie's attacks.

Wii4Mii 99

Smash Lord
Have you looked at Starmie's stats?

65 HP isn't the best, but 85 in each defense... That's gotta be the best defenses for a Pokemon with 110 or more Speed (Well... Maybe Raikou has more)

Until wii meet again,
Wii4Mii 99

Chiko_

Smash Apprentice
Starmie's defences is great. 65 HP is enough, and thanks to good offansive stats and some good defensive stats + Recover it'd make it a good Rapid Spinner. Maybe not as good as Claydol defensive, without Spikes immunity and resistance to SR, but it's way better offansive, and can take out a damaged anti-spinner.

Top Bottom