• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Quick question

FalcoRape

Smash Cadet
I was wondering how long it takes to perfect SHB (Short Hop Blast) with Falco. You can tell me how long it took you or tell me how long it usually takes for most people. Tips would be nice too.

GamerGuitarist7

Smash Champion
lol man, it doesn't take that long. just practice a little bit and you'll get it :) Falco's short hop is way easy so once you have that down you've pretty much got it. just get the motion in your fingers. good luck :-D

edit/ the thing that takes a good amount of practice are things like approaching and retreating iwth the SHL, read this guide if you haven't already

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=35379

FalcoRape

Smash Cadet
Meh. Guess I'll just keep praticing then. I've already read that...but thanks anyways.

DJ Boonbuggy

Smash Apprentice
Gamer said it, but let me reiterate... it's really just getting the rhythm. As was discussed in another thread, the perfect SHL is 27 frames long, if that means anything to you. (6 jump, 17 min ff time, 4 landing lag). But if that makes no sense to you, just keep a rhythm in your hands while practicing. And for practical purposes attempt to make the laser go about halfway between the peak of your jump and the ground. I wish there were more to say to help you, bud, but just practice. I'm sure you'll get it soon enough :)

h.e.x

Smash Rookie
Not to flog the dead sheep or anything, but I'd just like to throw this in: try not to get a high SHL burned into your muscle memory. It can be a ***** to get out.

mathos

Smash Champion
If you can short hop, then press B, you'll on the right track. After that it becomes cake, just experiment with pressing down at different times, wa la SHL.

DJ Boonbuggy

Smash Apprentice
A couple of things about the video:

1) make sure to jump out of your shines, no matter what... never stay in shine like you did (took me a long time to get used to it, don't worry)

2) I don't know if you were purposefully doing it to jump over his sword or not, but make sure to get SHFFLing down if you can't do it consistently. I saw a good bit of shffling in there, but I also saw a good bit of Full hop dairs, so just making sure you meant to do them.

3) For your SHL, try pressing B faster before you Fast Fall... You're pressing it too late (Fast Falling really well though, good job!) and that's making your laser not come out. Press B sooner and you'll get a feel for when you need to hit B to place your laser where you want it.

4) This is a hard habit to break, but everyone needs to some time: try not to roll as much. Rolling in competitive play will get your **** ruined most of the time, try to learn to wavedash instead of roll.

All in all, good work man. You're definitely getting there, just try to work on some of the things I mentioned, and you'll get better quickly. But definitely a nice job! ^_^ Keep it up!

invertigo

Smash Journeyman
it took me 5 minutes to learn shl. thats not the hard part. it took me much longer to be able to use it in battle effectively. you have to learn to aim at different heights as well and get it low on command., and learn how to reverse shl. keep doing it and eventually it will become second nature and you will do it instead of walking lol.

Leoneri

Smash Ace
I myself still have the problem of fastfalling too soon/ not pressing B fast enough, but keep practicing, like everyone has said.

Another piece of advice, if that video you made was what you do regularly to practice Smash. Don't practice against level 9s. You will set yourself up for failure against human players for you are fighting something that has reflexes past that of a human. Just fight against lvl 1-2s. But if it was just for the purpose of the video then forgive me :p .

Akasuna no Sasori

Smash Apprentice
it took me 5 minutes to learn shl. thats not the hard part. it took me much longer to be able to use it in battle effectively. you have to learn to aim at different heights as well and get it low on command., and learn how to reverse shl. keep doing it and eventually it will become second nature and you will do it instead of walking lol.
That's pretty much what I do. I always SHL towards opponents and hardly ever just run, unless I am runing away because my RSHL(reverse short hop laser) isn't good and I usually end up doing a phantasm either right into my opponent or to my death.

FalcoRape

Smash Cadet
I myself still have the problem of fastfalling too soon/ not pressing B fast enough, but keep practicing, like everyone has said.

Another piece of advice, if that video you made was what you do regularly to practice Smash. Don't practice against level 9s. You will set yourself up for failure against human players for you are fighting something that has reflexes past that of a human. Just fight against lvl 1-2s. But if it was just for the purpose of the video then forgive me :p .
Why do you reccomend me to fight level 1-2 bots? Wouldn't it make sense to try harder stuff against harder bots? I understand that they have fast reflexes...but wouldn't it make more sense?

FalcoRape

Smash Cadet
Also, I have another question. How do Falco users hang on a ledge and jump up and laser people? Do they just press down and up fast?

Leoneri

Smash Ace
Because fighting level 9s, well they have inhuman reflexes, power shielding just about anything. You will subconsciously get into the habit of stalling your attacks/shields to compare with their speed. Training on Level 1-2s you won't have that problem, for you should just practice combos on them.

For the ESHLing, pretty much yes, that is what they do. You ledge drop, jump and do an SHL DIing from the fastfall on to the stage, or do a double laser, which is just pressing B twice instead of fastfalling. If you do the double correctly the lasers should shoot at the same height, but as long as they both connect with your opponent it doesn't mastter.

FalcoRape

Smash Cadet
I've been playing level 2's and I have to admit I have gotten better...I forgot what it was called...like Pillaring or something...where you shine and jump then spike and repeat...I now can do that. So it's been helpful.

Leoneri

Smash Ace
Cool, I haven't gotten around to pillaring yet >_>. I'm trying to get 100% consistency on SHL, Wavedash, and Waveshine first.

FalcoRape

Smash Cadet
I can't always wavedash for some reason...but when I do a full double jump and land back on the ground again...I'm able to wavedash two or three times...don't know why.

xelad1

Smash Ace
Falco's wavedash is harder than most characters because he has a slower jump animation... the wavedash took me a little time to get used to when I started out because of this. What is probably happening when you full jump is the fact that you forget about wavedashing... when you focus too much on the tech skill you have a good chance of messing up since you're under pressure to perform. Eventually everything will become second nature and you won't even think about wavedashing shl, shffls or any of that stuff... then you can actually start to play the game :)

pdk

Smash Lord
learn short hop, you've learned SHB

that's all you need to know

Leoneri

Smash Ace
I don't completely agree with you, pdk. You have to know more then short hopping. Especially if you SHL while trying to move closer, backwards, turning around. Then there is learning to effectively use it, shoot it low/high on command etc.

Akasuna no Sasori

Smash Apprentice
I can do SHL easier when I'm running...not so much when I'm just jumping.
It is easier to do when running, but I'm not exactly sure why. I think it takes you longer to hit the ground again but I'm not quite sure on that.

And yeah, like xelad said, the more you focus on trying to do something the more likely you are to mess it up because you are under more pressure. I learned how to wavedash for the first time in a very odd way actually. Anytime I got a KO I'd just try wavedashing until eventually I got it down, :p

FalcoRape

Smash Cadet
I'll try that too. Also, how do people jump from hanging from the ledge and shoot the laser twice? I can only do it once.

A5modeu5

Smash Cadet
maybe you press down to go off the ledge dont do that.
Press right on the right ledge and left on the left ledge to go off, imediately jump and press B twice.

Driz

Smash Apprentice
Im no pro and not trying to say your wrong but I've found it easier to do hitting down and then using y or x to jump and hitting the laser as fast as you can, I was reading a post from I believe it was shiz saying he hits down then up, personally i've had trouble using left or right but whatever works best for you and you can pull off is the right way.

FalcoRape

Smash Cadet
maybe you press down to go off the ledge dont do that.
Press right on the right ledge and left on the left ledge to go off, imediately jump and press B twice.
Yea...I was pressing down. I tried the ledges again and I can do it...but I fly too far out and I end up turning around and shooting the wrong way...and eventually falling.

Top Bottom