• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Quick Question

CowPolice

Smash Rookie
Hello, I'm sure this question has been asked and answered many times, but I cant seem to find anything about it, so I'll just ask. It feels like this game is really clunky and unresponsive, I just recently started playing PM, maybe a month ago and I'm able to tech like wave dash and L-Cancel and such, but it just feels like this game is very unresponsive. I can't seen to be able to combo properly, for example when I'm playing Lucas, or any character for that matter, I dash attack and when I want to jump to Nair or something, it just doesn't register that I pressed jump and I don't jump at all, then my moment of opportunity to combo is gone.

I'm playing on an HDTV, but I have the wii converter cable and my tv is on game mode. I went over to a friends house where he has a CRT TV and the same issue still occurred. I'm beginning to think that maybe It's my controller? I have a generic GameCube controller that Isn't Nintendo brand. It's just a black controller without the Nintendo logo on it. The friend I mentioned earlier has a Nintendo brand GC controller and it feels a lot different than mine.

Thanks for the help.

Boiko

:drshrug:
Maybe you just need to practice you're timing more? I don't really have that problem.

CowPolice

Smash Rookie
Maybe, but even when watching youtube videos or streams of PM, it just seems like It's much faster than when I play

Boiko

:drshrug:
That definitely sounds like you just need practice. I also never recommend playing on HDTVs. But if you're having the same problem with a CRT than you probably just need more experience.

Last edited:

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
Maybe, but even when watching youtube videos or streams of PM, it just seems like It's much faster than when I play
Then it's something on your part that's contributing to the clunky feel of the game. P:M by no means is clunky and unresponsive.

CowPolice

Smash Rookie
Alright, I'll just keep at it and try to get used to it. I was just asking because I thought maybe it was something to do with my setup. I'll try getting a better controller as well.

Bazkip

Smash Master
Alright, I'll just keep at it and try to get used to it. I was just asking because I thought maybe it was something to do with my setup. I'll try getting a better controller as well.
It's a combination of everything. Practice makes perfect, but doing it on an HDTV, even with a HDMI converter and it set to game mode (these improve but don't eliminate the problems that HDTVs have) won't help you much. Your priority should be focused on getting an official controller, and then either a CRT or a gaming monitor. Then get to work on that grind.

FPSWalrus

Smash Ace
NNID
TehKingOfWalrus
as stated above, get good.
the game felt slower then i saw for awhile but then i started having that fluid movement that you see all the pros having
and it feels really good.
so yeah, get yourself a CRT or any monitor. Also it might help playing on dolphin instead of a clunky wii js

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Lucas can be a very difficult character to get into, especially after the nerfs he received with the release of 3.5.

You could try using someone whose combos flow with more of a standard style of technical play, which would entail SHFFLing, WDing, etc.

Lucas play does require those things, but comboing with him can be hard to get used to. If that's what you decide to do, you'll want to practice the hell out of DJCs, and work with Magnet Cancels to see how you can use them to extend combos. Optimizing Lucas's combo game is especially difficult in comparison to some other characters on the roster, but it can be highly rewarding.

I'd recommend starting simple, and then expanding on universal tech by working on Lucas-specific stuff. The game isn't clunky, you just have to perfect tech and learn how to use it to extend combos.

Top Bottom