• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Quick question on stale move negation

Snailtopus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JoeySnail
I understand what SMN is and how important it is to keep certain moves fresh or stale. But I have two questions:

Do moves stale when then collide/clank?

Concerning moves with multiple hitboxes (using Snake's nair as an example), does the entire move stale or just the hitboxes that connect? For example, if the first two hits connect before my opponent DI's out of it, do all four hitboxes stale or only the two that connect?

Thanks

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
This is a good question. I don't actually know the answer to this one off the top of my head. You might do some testing and report back to us with what you find!

Espyo

Smash Apprentice
I believe it depends on the move, but overall, it's on a by-move basis. Take Yoshi's flutter kick for instance. If every hitbox counted to the stale, you'd use it once to cause 30% something damage, and the second time you'd use it, it'd cause 10% something. That would just be insanely bad! For that move, it's based on the attack, regardless of the hits. But for stuff like Fox' Blaster, if you shoot it over and over without Fox putting the Blaster away, all shots count as one attack, and even in the same firing session, every shot becomes weaker than the last. In this case, it's on a per-shot basis.
For Snake's f-tilt, I think it's per-move. So doing the second hit won't help the move become stale.

As for clanging, I would imagine that it doesn't make the move stale. In the original Smash 64, maybe that happens, because they forgot to not make it so on clanging, but after two games, I'm pretty sure they that's not the case. The way I see it, clanging shouldn't stale the move, because technically, you didn't hit anybody with it...

Top Bottom