• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Quick Pikachu Tips (W.I.P)

Angiance

Smash Lord
Lots of editing\additions to be done here

#1 - Don't overuse F-Smash, it'll get countered

#2 - Don't use QA in aggression; use QA for safe positioning, recovery, and adorable mix-ups (only use it as an offensive mix-up when you see breaks in your opponent's defense)

#3 - F-Tilt (angled upwards) has a solid hit-box and is fairly quick, making it great for: canceling projectiles, clashing with other attacks, anti-air, and it also starts KOing after 150% if it's not too stale.

#4 - DON'T EVER PANIC D-SMASH. Defensive options: OoS SH N-Air (if the opponent is directly on top of Pika) , OoS SH U-Air (if the opponent is behind you), F-Roll (if the opponent is behind), OoS SH D-Air (if the opponent is going to come at Pikachu from a distance), or spotdodge

#5 - Don't F-Air and fastfall/move foward at the same time; Start F-Air and fastfall/move forward just as the hitbox is ready to come out.

#6 - Taunt after a KO because Chu's adorableness is like, perfect for taunting.

#7 - U-Air dominates the diagonal area in front of us as long as it's spaced to max range, use it for air control.

#8 - This is very important as a Pikachu, and you've heard it everywhere...DON'T. FORCE. THE. KO. U-Smash has absolutely abysmal after lag; N-Air's hit-box is the size of grain of salt; D-Smash couldn't KO if a baby fetus was playing as Bowser; Thunder is slower than a snail stuck in super glue-my point is...keep your momentum going and surprise your opponent with a KO move once they've made a mistake from being overwhelmed by Pikachu's speed; Just because your opponent is at KO percents, doesn't mean you drop your speed, start spamming Ganon-like moves, and become predictable/easy to punish; Pikachu's strongest point is his speed-and if you drop that speed, then what do you have...road kill, that's what you have

#9 - N-Air is Pikachu's safest KO option. KOing with N-Air: wait for an opening when the opponent is near the blast zone, if they're not close to the blast zone try saving it for when they ARE close to the blast zone, or around the edge. Rising N-Air is good for offstage KOing (it semi-walls, maybe). N-Air starts KOing at 140% frese, even earlier close to the blast zone.

#10 - Rapid Jab is extremely powerful when the opponent is at the very edge of a stage, plus it'll refresh most of Pikachu's attacks.

#11 - Pummel during a grab, it's important
Simple strategy: 0% - 50% = Pummel x1, 50% - 100% = Pummel x2, 100% - 999% = Pummel xX

#12 - After SH U-Air ends, fast-fall (unless N-Air is guaranteed), it'll leave Chu less vulnerable

#13 - Save SH D-Air for catching dodges

#14 - Skullbash is very good for air travel when Chu is extremely high up, it's a very useful way to escape an opponent trying to attack from below

#15 - D-Air's ground hitbox (the shockwave) comes out on frame 1, making it okay for breaking certain chains

Last edited:

MR.M4N

Smash Rookie
Ok so I don't really know if this should be in the FAQ section instead, but I kind of thought of it after reading #4... anyways, obviously we don't want to use Dsmash as a "panic button" as you called it. However, assuming you're playing against someone who isn't a horrible player and can get out of Dsmash, is there a situation in which Dsmash is actually considered a good option?

HoldeN HoT FiyA

Smash Apprentice
Ok so I don't really know if this should be in the FAQ section instead, but I kind of thought of it after reading #4... anyways, obviously we don't want to use Dsmash as a "panic button" as you called it. However, assuming you're playing against someone who isn't a horrible player and can get out of Dsmash, is there a situation in which Dsmash is actually considered a good option?
It's definitely a good option just to get your opponent off of you and reset the situation and give you some breathing room

Sobia6464

Smash Cadet
Thunder isn't just a great KOing move, but it works amazing as an edge guarding move.

Angiance

Smash Lord
Well D-Smash has good startup, high priority, and Chu goes low to the ground which helps to evade lots of moves, however, D-Smash is too easily SDI'd out of as we all know, which means little damage; it puts the opponent away from Chu after he worked so hard to get through defenses; it leaves Chu vulnerable if it doesn't hit, etc. It's not a bad option, but it doesn't net much damage-completely up the Chu if he/she wants to use it or not

Thunder for edgeguarding is good...ish, but Air-Jolt is better

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
Well D-Smash has good startup, high priority, and Chu goes low to the ground which helps to evade lots of moves, however, D-Smash is too easily SDI'd out of as we all know, which means little damage; it puts the opponent away from Chu after he worked so hard to get through defenses; it leaves Chu vulnerable if it doesn't hit, etc. It's not a bad option, but it doesn't net much damage-completely up the Chu if he/she wants to use it or not

Thunder for edgeguarding is good...ish, but Air-Jolt is better
I'm inclined to disagree, air-jolt is amazing don't get me wrong, but a b reversed thunder offstage will literally put a wall between your opponent and the stage. I don't think either option is better than the other, I think it all depends on the situation.

Angiance

Smash Lord
I'm inclined to disagree, air-jolt is amazing don't get me wrong, but a b reversed thunder offstage will literally put a wall between your opponent and the stage. I don't think either option is better than the other, I think it all depends on the situation.
Well, players that understand Pikachu can evade Thunder offstage pretty easily; Air Jolt grants control over alot of the air and leaves plenty of time for Pikachu to react.

Angiance

Smash Lord
I feel like you could make that same argument for t-jolts, honestly.
With A-Jolt granting control AND reaction time for U-Air/N-Air/ledge-hogging (missing Pikachu with Thunder cost too many frames for this), it would seem more beneficial. I'm an offensive Pikachu though; you're speaking from a defensive point of view, right?

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
With A-Jolt granting control AND reaction time for U-Air/N-Air/ledge-hogging (missing Pikachu with Thunder cost too many frames for this), it would seem more beneficial. I'm an offensive Pikachu though; you're speaking from a defensive point of view, right?
Yeah, and from a defensive perspective it doesn't really matter if thunder misses, as long as you b-reversed it and landed back onstage it's not very likely that you'll get punished because your opponent will either go to the ledge or recover high leaving you an opportunity to punish their land lag, but I agree that air-jolts are a much more proactive approach to edge-guarding.

Thor

Smash Champion
I don't use airjolts much, but it's because I mostly play a Kirby main.... RRR for those who recognize the name... but yeah Thunder walls are so much more effective on characters who end up high in the air (MK?) - airjolts don't do much against Kirby.

I dsmash too much but it's my only consistent follow-up to SH fair (fair at peak of jump)... I sometimes ftilt but seem to fail at that a lot. I try to force KOs too much, but dsmash actually kills at like 140%, it just gets SDIed too much to be consistent. I find it actively useful if I have hit their shield a bunch and think I can catch them for the shield poke. But this is the n00b talking (and because Kirby's shield is so small it sometimes eats his shield whole).

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
I don't use airjolts much, but it's because I mostly play a Kirby main.... RRR for those who recognize the name... but yeah Thunder walls are so much more effective on characters who end up high in the air (MK?) - airjolts don't do much against Kirby.

I dsmash too much but it's my only consistent follow-up to SH fair (fair at peak of jump)... I sometimes ftilt but seem to fail at that a lot. I try to force KOs too much, but dsmash actually kills at like 140%, it just gets SDIed too much to be consistent. I find it actively useful if I have hit their shield a bunch and think I can catch them for the shield poke. But this is the n00b talking (and because Kirby's shield is so small it sometimes eats his shield whole).
Try SH fair>dtilt. Also I've found some interesting ways to kill with dsmash, if your opponent is at high percents and you dsmash when they are approaching you from above, by the time it connects you will hit them with like the last one or two hits so they won't be able to SDI out of the hit with all the knockback, but even then fsmash, usmash, nair, and thunder in most situations are better KO options.

Thor

Smash Champion
I usually just get daired if I try the dsmash while they're landing from above (Kirby's feet seem disjointed?). I usually just try to eat their shield if I run up/Pikastorm and they shield at high percents.

By the way, for Pikastorming (SH dair and no shockwave) do you recommend X/Y + cstick down or X/Y + down + a? I need (I guess want is a better choice of words) to get better at it - for me at least it feels like a much safer approach because of the lack of landing lag if done properly while still having hitboxes out. It's also easy to run into their shield or back off, etc. Is Pikastorming a tip for the tip list or is there some issue with it I don't get?

Thanks for the advice about SH fair -> dtilt. Do we just say SDI when we mean ASDI regarding dsmash? Or are they just synonymous?

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
I usually just get daired if I try the dsmash while they're landing from above (Kirby's feet seem disjointed?). I usually just try to eat their shield if I run up/Pikastorm and they shield at high percents.

By the way, for Pikastorming (SH dair and no shockwave) do you recommend X/Y + cstick down or X/Y + down + a? I need (I guess want is a better choice of words) to get better at it - for me at least it feels like a much safer approach because of the lack of landing lag if done properly while still having hitboxes out. It's also easy to run into their shield or back off, etc. Is Pikastorming a tip for the tip list or is there some issue with it I don't get?

Thanks for the advice about SH fair -> dtilt. Do we just say SDI when we mean ASDI to confuse the other non-Pika players? (I'll edit/delete this if you say yes and replace it with an obvious question like "upthrow to thunder isn't a real combo even w/out DI, right?" so that no one "knows"...) Or do they see it as synonymous?
For SH>dair, I really don't think it matters what button you use, just whatever is most comfortable for you. Personally, I use dair very conservatively because it's not very safe. As for your last question, I don't really understand what you mean, as far as I'm aware SDI (Smash Directional Influence) is the term that the whole community uses.

Thor

Smash Champion
I mean, you don't even need to SDI, just hold up on the control stick (automatic SDI, a weaker variant as a result of registering the last position the control stick was in as hitstun ends) and you escape after like 2 hits...most people I have met seem to think you need to try to SDI out instead of just hold the control stick up. Once I learned it I've never been KOed by a Pika dsmash at any percent since.

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
I mean, you don't even need to SDI, just hold up on the control stick (automatic SDI, a weaker variant as a result of registering the last position the control stick was in as hitstun ends) and you escape after like 2 hits...most people I have met seem to think you need to try to SDI out instead of just hold the control stick up. Once I learned it I've never been KOed by a Pika dsmash at any percent since.
I don't think that works reliably, I'll have to try it though. Also, you should never be KO'd by a dsmash anyway good Pikas don't try to kill with it.

Thor

Smash Champion
Maybe Falco/Pika just have super good ASDI then. It seems to work better at higher percents but the Kirby I play is never KO'd by it, unless it's the shield stab. I guess that's also proof I'm not a good Pika (because I go for the shield stab).

EDIT: It might also just be that characters with small sizes can do this (i.e,. I haven't tested this for Bowser, DK, or Ganondorf among others).

Angiance

Smash Lord
Maybe Falco/Pika just have super good ASDI then. It seems to work better at higher percents but the Kirby I play is never KO'd by it, unless it's the shield stab. I guess that's also proof I'm not a good Pika (because I go for the shield stab).

EDIT: It might also just be that characters with small sizes can do this (i.e,. I haven't tested this for Bowser, DK, or Ganondorf among others).
Oh yeah, D-Smash for KO-ing is, as high as it's knockback is, a terrible idea; also, SDI is needed for escaping D-Smash.

Thor

Smash Champion
Why is my experience with this game so weird? I've never needed to SDI it (literally ever) but I play Pikachu/Falco (and Falco in this MU is so annoying to play as (worse again) - have to camp like crazy to try to avoid the grab) - does percent/character have an effect on this sort of thing? Or maybe 1 SDI up + ASDI up get a person out (I'm not usually holding up when I get hit)? Also are you saying don't look to shield stab people with it (ever)? Trying to learn here, and it's tip board, so...think it's a good spot? This thread was on top and seemed on-topic, so...

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
Also are you saying don't look to shield stab people with it (ever)? Trying to learn here, and it's tip board, so...think it's a good spot? This thread was on top and seemed on-topic, so...
It all just depends on the situation really, sure it's great for shield stabbing, but if you happen to not stab your opponent's shield they can punish you pretty easily. Imo, dsmash is a very versatile move, but should be used very conservatively at mid-high level play because it's also really punishable.

Angiance

Smash Lord
Why is my experience with this game so weird? I've never needed to SDI it (literally ever) but I play Pikachu/Falco (and Falco in this MU is so annoying to play as (worse again) - have to camp like crazy to try to avoid the grab) - does percent/character have an effect on this sort of thing? Or maybe 1 SDI up + ASDI up get a person out (I'm not usually holding up when I get hit)? Also are you saying don't look to shield stab people with it (ever)? Trying to learn here, and it's tip board, so...think it's a good spot? This thread was on top and seemed on-topic, so...
In my experience I've always SDI'd to escape the 2nd/3rd hit of D-Smash, perhaps you just have epic fingers *shrugs*

Higher percent = more hit-stun, which means it's easier to escape D-Smash at higher percents

The bigger the character frame, the harder it is for them to escape D-Smash

In high level play people will be very good at power shielding, and D-Smash is horribly punishable when it's powershielded, or if it just misses; D-Smash is very situational

Our shield stabbing would be: SH F-Air (no fastfall), FH B-Air (if they're on a platform), rapid Jab (if they're at the edge)

Also, feel free to ask as much as you want; that's what we're here for :3

Thor

Smash Champion
Okay. I use it for shield stab because my only frequent opponent is Kirby, like I mentioned earlier, and when he's shielding and I've hit earlier with an unpowershielded fsmash he's practically begging for it (in my opinion - maybe I'm wrong there). Also I guess ASDI might only work then if someone's small or something, because I just ASDI it and take like 6% in Mirror Matches (almost put MM but I don't do those) (if I'm worried double-stick DI gets me out nearly instantly). Also, doesn't powershielding just block the first hit, or does it block them all, or do people legitimately and consistently powershield each blow (which would make feel once again like the worst player on all of Smashboards)? Just to be clear, I do try to lessen the amount I'm using it (my former use was tantamount to making one person joke my default position on the cstick must be down), and so I've come a ways from that awful stage.

I do SH fair but do you recommend initiating it right at the start of the jump (like a Pikastorm) or near the apex (which is how I link to dsmash/dtilt when I remember deadjames's advice) for the shield stab? Also is one of those safer (obviously both can be shieldgrabbed but does immediate fair reduce landing lag)?

Also thank you lots. I need all the help I can get (I think I'm also going to try reading more posts elsewhere when I have more time, but I'm a senior in high school, college apps and the like mean I probably shouldn't even spend as much time here as I do). Also I apologize if I somehow posted 10 times but my computer's acting like I haven't posted at all and it doesn't empty this textbox either, suggesting the connection failed or something.

Angiance

Smash Lord
Okay. I use it for shield stab because my only frequent opponent is Kirby, like I mentioned earlier, and when he's shielding and I've hit earlier with an unpowershielded fsmash he's practically begging for it (in my opinion - maybe I'm wrong there). Also I guess ASDI might only work then if someone's small or something, because I just ASDI it and take like 6% in Mirror Matches (almost put MM but I don't do those) (if I'm worried double-stick DI gets me out nearly instantly). Also, doesn't powershielding just block the first hit, or does it block them all, or do people legitimately and consistently powershield each blow (which would make feel once again like the worst player on all of Smashboards)? Just to be clear, I do try to lessen the amount I'm using it (my former use was tantamount to making one person joke my default position on the cstick must be down), and so I've come a ways from that awful stage.

I do SH fair but do you recommend initiating it right at the start of the jump (like a Pikastorm) or near the apex (which is how I link to dsmash/dtilt when I remember deadjames's advice) for the shield stab? Also is one of those safer (obviously both can be shieldgrabbed but does immediate fair reduce landing lag)?

Also thank you lots. I need all the help I can get (I think I'm also going to try reading more posts elsewhere when I have more time, but I'm a senior in high school, college apps and the like mean I probably shouldn't even spend as much time here as I do). Also I apologize if I somehow posted 10 times but my computer's acting like I haven't posted at all and it doesn't empty this textbox either, suggesting the connection failed or something.
Well, the shield stabbing options listed are more safe, and allow you to be able to get in on your opponent, allowing grabs, or other options; D-Smash, thanks to SDI, only nets you like...4-6% damage most of the time (unless they're terrible at this game). Also, it's good that you're breaking the habit of D-Smash, even top players have habits.

Powershield blocks the hit, allows you to react instantly, and keeps you invincible for a few frames; Powershielding Pika's D-Smash = Grab, even if Pika is still doing the attack

As for SH F-Air, it depends on what your opponent is doing; initiate it right at the start for poking, initiate it at the peak of the SH for going in. Immediate SH F-Air auto cancels, so yeah, less lag then FF F-Air

And you're welcome, sorry for the late response. :3

Thor

Smash Champion
The player I'm playing isn't terrible (his name is RRR, I think he's supposed to be an at least decent Kirby), and I'm not even close to top, but thanks for the thing about breaking habits.

Good to know about powershield => grab.

Mixing up the SH fairs - easier than SH dair although I'm currently convinced it's less useful.

And don't worry about late response - I haven't had much of an opportunity to put stuff into lots of practice yet (darn school work).

Also, how often do you look to Thunderspike, and if it is more than never, do you dash jump Thunder or QAC Thunder? I look for it nearly all the time, and my biggest Pikachu flaw is my lack of consistent QAC (I've numerous other issues, working on so much) so I dash jump Thunder. I have also started just rushing underneath to try to force air dodges and then look for some uair/nair (it works best on Battlefield when I can go to the top platform and they've airdodged) or double jump Thunder (if they airdodge) with the second jump to reposition. So yeah, any advice?

Angiance

Smash Lord
The player I'm playing isn't terrible (his name is RRR, I think he's supposed to be an at least decent Kirby), and I'm not even close to top, but thanks for the thing about breaking habits.

Good to know about powershield => grab.

Mixing up the SH fairs - easier than SH dair although I'm currently convinced it's less useful.

And don't worry about late response - I haven't had much of an opportunity to put stuff into lots of practice yet (darn school work).

Also, how often do you look to Thunderspike, and if it is more than never, do you dash jump Thunder or QAC Thunder? I look for it nearly all the time, and my biggest Pikachu flaw is my lack of consistent QAC (I've numerous other issues, working on so much) so I dash jump Thunder. I have also started just rushing underneath to try to force air dodges and then look for some uair/nair (it works best on Battlefield when I can go to the top platform and they've airdodged) or double jump Thunder (if they airdodge) with the second jump to reposition. So yeah, any advice?
SH D-Air is actually pretty punishable, so it's best saved for reads; it deals high damage for a stringer.

Well, I'll be honest: my playstyle is very offensive, and I rely on raw speed; Thunder is too slow for my playstyle, I only use it after U-Tilt, or in certain other specific situations. Sorry, you should ask about Thunder in the QA thread.

Thor

Smash Champion
Oh derp, I'm not being very clear.

I use SH F-air to approach pretty offensively - I'm either trying to bait hard (not often) or looking for percent/combos. SH D-air seems to work better for baiting (for me).

I use SH D-air for baiting (low lag landing and high percent if they somehow run into it), or mostly when either retreating or if I expect my opponent to rush, because then I can switch directions and try to get high damage or else keep retreating without really removing most options - SH F-air just usually seems to trade/hit less when I use it for these reasons. The other use I have now for it is trying to shorten distances between myself and the opponent when we're at a distance where t-jolt is probably too close but I'm out of range (I'm thinking like about 40% of FD or maybe even closer). I probably use SH D-air more for putting out hitboxes around Pikachu than actually attacking. Thus for me SH D-air has more uses (is more useful), and I feel it controls space better. It also seems to have higher priority, but I'm not fully sure on that.

Also, I think SH D-air always puts out a shockwave if it hits a shield, but I don't know - maybe I just do it wrong every time I think it's right and I hit a shield with it. Insight would be nice.

If you use Thunder after u-tilt, what percents (for light characters like MK/Kirby/another Pika)? And so that links properly (true combo w/out DI)?

Also nice new avatar.

P.S: Maybe this isn't funny, but no, I do not play Pikachu because I like to use thunder and lightning attacks. Although that would be funny (if that were my reasoning I'd also play Kirby so they could FEAR MY HAMMER!)

Angiance

Smash Lord
Oh derp, I'm not being very clear.

I use SH F-air to approach pretty offensively - I'm either trying to bait hard (not often) or looking for percent/combos. SH D-air seems to work better for baiting (for me).

I use SH D-air for baiting (low lag landing and high percent if they somehow run into it), or mostly when either retreating or if I expect my opponent to rush, because then I can switch directions and try to get high damage or else keep retreating without really removing most options - SH F-air just usually seems to trade/hit less when I use it for these reasons. The other use I have now for it is trying to shorten distances between myself and the opponent when we're at a distance where t-jolt is probably too close but I'm out of range (I'm thinking like about 40% of FD or maybe even closer). I probably use SH D-air more for putting out hitboxes around Pikachu than actually attacking. Thus for me SH D-air has more uses (is more useful), and I feel it controls space better. It also seems to have higher priority, but I'm not fully sure on that.

Also, I think SH D-air always puts out a shockwave if it hits a shield, but I don't know - maybe I just do it wrong every time I think it's right and I hit a shield with it. Insight would be nice.

If you use Thunder after u-tilt, what percents (for light characters like MK/Kirby/another Pika)? And so that links properly (true combo w/out DI)?

Also nice new avatar.

P.S: Maybe this isn't funny, but no, I do not play Pikachu because I like to use thunder and lightning attacks. Although that would be funny (if that were my reasoning I'd also play Kirby so they could FEAR MY HAMMER!)
It's dependent on your opponent what works/fails; if it works, go for it :3

However, SH D-Air has harsh, punishable landing/ending lag, great damage though

F-Air is safer than D-Air and has better priority, but it's dependant on your opponent's SDI if you get damage or not; D-Air is better for damage, but not as safe as F-Air

SH D-Air only puts out a shock wave IF Pika hits the ground, so yes, you're timing it wrong.

Also, I know you're not using Pika for Thunder ^ - ^

Thor

Smash Champion
Uh, how is it harshly punishable? By SH D-air, I refer to about 2:16 - 2:20 in this video [I don't know how to start it at 2:16), http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tp_HbvklfPE

where Esam SH D-airs and immediately shields...that's harshly punishable? Cuz that's what I use retreating... it seems to work out. Or do you refer to the shockwave coming out, which I know is really punishable and I'm always trying to avoid when I do the SH? (to be clear I refer to short-hop auto-cancelled dairs...)

And I meant by, even if I think I'm doing it so the shockwave would not come out normally (i.e, not hitting stuff means I thought lagless landing), it seems like contacting a shield causes the shockwave to come out anyway (ie, in that video, if UltimateRazer rushed and shielded then Esam would be punished by UlitmateRazer's OoS options).
And what does whoopsies mean? Also where should I look for a brief explanation on priority because I must be terrible at understanding it, and also truly terrible at F-air - my Dairs trade a lot more than fairs in both high-speed assaults (like we're both dashing or something or I'm trying to break a combo) and when trying to retreat.

Maybe I should just suck less at Smash in general and come back later...

Angiance

Smash Lord
Uh, how is it harshly punishable? By SH D-air, I refer to about 2:16 - 2:20 in this video [I don't know how to start it at 2:16), http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tp_HbvklfPE

where Esam SH D-airs and immediately shields...that's harshly punishable? Cuz that's what I use retreating... it seems to work out. Or do you refer to the shockwave coming out, which I know is really punishable and I'm always trying to avoid when I do the SH? (to be clear I refer to short-hop auto-cancelled dairs...)

And I meant by, even if I think I'm doing it so the shockwave would not come out normally (i.e, not hitting stuff means I thought lagless landing), it seems like contacting a shield causes the shockwave to come out anyway (ie, in that video, if UltimateRazer rushed and shielded then Esam would be punished by UlitmateRazer's OoS options).
And what does whoopsies mean? Also where should I look for a brief explanation on priority because I must be terrible at understanding it, and also truly terrible at F-air - my Dairs trade a lot more than fairs in both high-speed assaults (like we're both dashing or something or I'm trying to break a combo) and when trying to retreat.

Maybe I should just suck less at Smash in general and come back later...
No, it's ground hitbox does not automatically come out; however, It's landing lag is very punishable as well as it's aerial ending lag, but you're using it for reads I believe, which is the best way to use it, just don't get into a pattern.

I said "whoopsies" because I accidentely double posted.

Priority is just a term used to understand how dominant an attack's hitbox is; it is NOT a real in-game property.

F-Air shrinks our character frame, allowing us to "pass" through certain attacks, while also having better range (very good range at that) than one might think. F-Air is more for spacing, chasing, and zone breaking.

Thor

Smash Champion
So it's like 12 frames of hitboxes to 13 before and 10 frames after of lag or what? And by landing lag I assume you mean time from last hitbox (Frame 26) to landing cuz I've beat off punishes with jab, grab, shield, (used to be way too much) dsmash, etc. almost immediately upon hitting the ground (or I'm just lucky).

I guess it pokes more than I give it credit for, it just still feels like I get knocked on the nose way too often (where a Dair actually seems to let me stay out of range better), but I'll admit I do have to be closer for those Dairs vs Fairs. What does Fair let us "pass" through (any examples at all)?

I guess my problem is most of my (meta)game knowledge is from like 2009 or something.

Angiance

Smash Lord
So it's like 12 frames of hitboxes to 13 before and 10 frames after of lag or what? And by landing lag I assume you mean time from last hitbox (Frame 26) to landing cuz I've beat off punishes with jab, grab, shield, (used to be way too much) dsmash, etc. almost immediately upon hitting the ground (or I'm just lucky).

I guess it pokes more than I give it credit for, it just still feels like I get knocked on the nose way too often (where a Dair actually seems to let me stay out of range better), but I'll admit I do have to be closer for those Dairs vs Fairs. What does Fair let us "pass" through (any examples at all)?

I guess my problem is most of my (meta)game knowledge is from like 2009 or something.
D-Air has more than 20 frames of aerial after-lag, very punishable.

The landing lag would be the shock-wave from D-Air, which is 40 frames, horribly punishable; although D-Air's shock-wave is good for breaking chain-grabs, since it's out on frame 1 I believe.

F-Air can go around certain hit-boxes (like MK's D-Air if we F-Air from the side) since it shrinks Pikachu's character frame, but it takes precision.

Thor

Smash Champion
Yes the shockwave is frame one (I've accidentally D-aired from QAC attempting to do other stuff - sort of funny but usually painful, sometimes it hits so I'm not punished [as much]).

I'd believe the lag is 20 frames I guess, but I'll just ask - how many frames in Pikachu in the air during a short hop?

So you mean that for low/high hitboxes, a F-air might shrink it enough so we avoid getting clipped (I would guess this possibly lets us avoid Uair if they try to space terribly)? Good to know.

Thor

Smash Champion
I guess the frame data I have is truly terrible then, because I have dair hitting on frames 14-26, which would mean 13 frames startup, 12 frames of hitboxes, and 15 frames of lag, since a SH is 40 frames. What's the actual data on these frames then (if you know, if not whatever)?

Also don't get me wrong, I love Pikachu's fair, I just didn't realize it had all these extra properties that make it even better (like evasion and auto-cancel on immediate start-up SH). Also if you had to order aerials in terms of use/effectiveness, where do you place them? I'd guess bair and dair are at the bottom but I don't know.

EDIT: Could I get an example of what fair drills through? Doesn't seem to do much vs Kirby...does it like eat badly spaced Pikmin or something?

Angiance

Smash Lord
What I'm giving is actual data, but uh...the amount of time D-Air is punishable is 15 or 18 frames (not 100% accurate), but if it's whiffed or PS'd it's much more punisable since we're right in the opponent's face, and they could read and follow a retreating D-Air and grab you, or do whatever. | from best to worst: U-Air, F-Air, N-Air, D-Air, and B-Air. | "drilled through" was a bit exaggerated, sorry; F-Air's hitboxes are slightly disjointed at the tip of Pika's nose, so it's priority is the best at the tip of his nose. No examples, sorry-sorry.

Top Bottom