• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Quick Attack on the 3DS

Wishes And Sunshine

Smash Cadet
Now, I KNOW how awesome Quick Attack is, and that Pikachu's recovery is basically godlike: you are either KOed or you return to the stage to live another stock. But....
My QA NEVER goes horizontally or vertically downwards on the first zip. Could someone please help with that? The circle pad seems insanely hard to use.

Tyranitarphantom

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SwitcherooTtar
You pretty much hit the nail on the head. The 3DS circle pad in imprecise, and it's near impossible to get real consistency with it. I rarely play 3DS anymore, but I do have a few friends who only have 3DS, so when I play with them, I just play other characters that I have fun with (they're mostly casual players anyways). If 3DS is your only way to play, I'm sorry, but getting consistently good QAs is not really possible. I'd just recommend practicing your angles, as with practice, you can get good with them, but on 3DS, expect accidents to happen.

Wishes And Sunshine

Smash Cadet
This is why the Facebook dislike button was made. Ah well, at least you could provide some solace.

Last edited:

Coro_

Smash Apprentice
Having only used 3DS since the beginning, and using 3DS controller on Wii U, I can say that for sure with enough practice even the circle pad can get you precise results. Of course, I've never used any other controller for extended periods of time, so I'm not debating that the other controllers are straight up better. I've gotten my Quick Attacks in the right directions I've always wanted though, so there's that~

Wonder Gato

Smash Rookie
Not gonna lie, the impreciseness (and overall lagginess) of the 3DS version made me drop Pika altogether whenever I play that version. I thought about trying to practice enough where it becomes easy to do on the 3DS...but then I just turned on the Wii U version and realized that my suffering and tears went away.

Granted, I do think that going in certain directions can be difficult, or at least counter-intuitive, no matter the version. For whatever reason, it's always felt awkward to me to zip straight downward first (though I suspect that it has to do with the input to start QA being up).

What directions are you going when you try to zip horizontally?

Wishes And Sunshine

Smash Cadet
Breaking news: I actually managed to warp horizontally on the first zip, but I couldn't input the second direction.
And I usually zip vertically upward. Light-speed reflexes are absolutely necessary for moving in directions other than vertically up when activating the move.
Interestingly, another Pikachu I was fighting online was actually abusing QA and overwhelming me. My brother wondered if it was ESAM on the 3DS, but then his QA's second warp ended off the stage, and he fell into the dark chasm which surrounds each stage and reminds us that sanctuary from despair is surrounded and small.

Wishes And Sunshine

Smash Cadet
Sincerest apologies for the double posts, but I really am getting frustrated now. I'm constantly using Skull Bash when I want QA, and it's costing me stocks. Heck, it's hard to get in a perfect QA even at fifteen frames per second. This is causing so much disappointment.

Coro_

Smash Apprentice
Really, all you can do is practice practice practice :p
I spent a year on 3ds playing Pikachu before I got my constant QAs~
If you're not restricted only to 3DS like I am, then consider if you really want to put in the time to master the finicky circle pad

Emuchu

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Emuchu
3DS FC
2320-6462-6471
Practice this specific sequence in the lab: Hit Up + B simultaneously, and then immediately roll the control pad to due right. Pikachu should zip over to the right. Make sure you're holding right until Pika moves. Repeat until it's consistent. It's not that fast of a motion if you're used to playing other fighting games, but I can see how it can be a challenge for a newer player... especially considering how the 3DS circle pad doesn't have any ridges. I want ridges on it so bad, but it didn't take me that long to land QA consistently on the 3DS, since I've played Monster Hunter and Kid Icarus on the thing (I had to super-glue the rubber back on before I traded it in to GameStop, haha).

The second input is just a matter of getting used to how long it takes for Pika to zip over before you should hold the next direction. So, Up+B, roll to the right, Pika zips over, hold down+right, Pika zips over again. Most Pika players have practiced to the point where they can perform the move without even looking or hearing the sound, so it's sometimes challenging to remember how much of a struggle it used to be.

hotdogtaco4321

Smash Cadet
NNID
MaverickGV
3DS FC
0748-3241-5258
I never had an issue with this but I agree that 3ds is extremely impresice. I find doing qac on 3ds is extremely difficult but after plenty of practice you can get it down. I also could have less issue because I have used in:pikachu: every smash game so.... Yeah I have lots of experience with him :pikachu64::pikachumelee::pikachu2::4pikachu:

Top Bottom