• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Questions and tips for fixing my MK game.

Ice9

Smash Apprentice
Ok Im maining Metaknight, and im really running into a few problems while playing friends and WIFI.

1) Fighting Snake: I just can't beat him... Just the Nikitas are so difficult when used properly and my friend is, in all honesty, great as Snake... What can I do to rack up the %? Only Short hopping and Fairing really works, But his Uair and his Fair just bust me almost every time...

2) Fighting Marth: Now this is an easier fight... But still hard. What I found works great for fighting most characters is to rush in, side-step when they try to bust, then Dsmash, It works 90% of the time, and is just death for Ike, but Marth's Fair and Dair are so hard to not get hit by, im basically a badass punching bag...

3) Fighting DeDeDe: Well here we go. This is just ANNOYING... His Fsmash and Jet Hammer hit me almost EVERY time, even when im Sidestepping or dodge rolling. KOing DDD is next to impossible and its IS impossible to Edgeguard against DDD with his kickass vert. recovery.

4) B attacks: Now this is where I lose most of my matches... After I use moves such as Mach Tornado and Drill Rush, Metaknight is left virtually wide open as he falls or if sidestepped. This is where its GG for me, becuase I'll use the move to either % up or to approch, and its virtually lights out for me... It is particularly annoying against Luigi, where Up-B is basically given to him, and at 60% ive been KOed by it.

Please help, I love MK, I love Brawl, But this really is annoying.

lonelytraveler8

Smash Journeyman
1) Fighting Snake: I just can't beat him... Just the Nikitas are so difficult when used properly and my friend is, in all honesty, great as Snake... What can I do to rack up the %? Only Short hopping and Fairing really works, But his Uair and his Fair just bust me almost every time...
Snake is irritating if played right. His fair shouldn't be a problem because it's really slow, but his uair and bair are killer. Try airdodging his Nikita missiles and predict where he's going to go with them. If you can stay close to Snake, he's screwed. Keep the pressure on him and don't try approaching from above unless he's vulnerable.

Playing against Snake requires you to predict their movements alot.

2) Fighting Marth: Now this is an easier fight... But still hard. What I found works great for fighting most characters is to rush in, side-step when they try to bust, then Dsmash, It works 90% of the time, and is just death for Ike, but Marth's Fair and Dair are so hard to not get hit by, im basically a badass punching bag...
You mentioned a possible approach that works, but don't get too predictable with it. Try a dashing shield grab (hold the shield until the right time). You're attacks in the air are faster than Marth's, but you may want to avoid using your dair and uair. Marth's recovery is EXTREMELY easy to gimp once you get him off the stage.

3) Fighting DeDeDe: Well here we go. This is just ANNOYING... His Fsmash and Jet Hammer hit me almost EVERY time, even when im Sidestepping or dodge rolling. KOing DDD is next to impossible and its IS impossible to Edgeguard against DDD with his kickass vert. recovery.
Unfortunately, I don't have much advice here. I haven't played as or against DeDeDe much. If you can't edge guard him and he's not sweetspotting, then punish him after his up-b. As for his Fsmash and Jet Hammer...you'll simply have to avoid them. Try tricking your opponent into using it and then punish.

4) B attacks: Now this is where I lose most of my matches... After I use moves such as Mach Tornado and Drill Rush, Metaknight is left virtually wide open as he falls or if sidestepped. This is where its GG for me, becuase I'll use the move to either % up or to approch, and its virtually lights out for me... It is particularly annoying against Luigi, where Up-B is basically given to him, and at 60% ive been KOed by it.
Meta Knight's B attacks are some of the best in the game. You should not be getting punished after Mach Tornado. Mash the B button to extend the length of time it is out and track down your opponent and hold them in it. If you are going to miss, move yourself away from the opponent with it.

Drill rush should be used sparingly. It's great for racking up damage, but if you miss you're basically screwed. When you do use it, aim it up after making contact, otherwise you'll just go through the opponent and then flip backwards the be destroyed.

Ice9

Smash Apprentice
Snake is irritating if played right. His fair shouldn't be a problem because it's really slow, but his uair and bair are killer. Try airdodging his Nikita missiles and predict where he's going to go with them. If you can stay close to Snake, he's screwed. Keep the pressure on him and don't try approaching from above unless he's vulnerable.
Snake's Fair stays out for a while so i'll try and punish it and he will still bust me.

lonelytraveler8

Smash Journeyman
Are you talking about the one where he kicks downwards and spikes? Or the one where he basically lies down in the air with his feet in your face? The latter is his bair and does stay out for a very long time and should be avoided. The former is slower and much easier to dodge, but is still very deadly.

Nickieroonie

Smash Cadet
A sidenote: I find an awesome approach with MK that only works with passable floors, is to dash towards the opponent , duck through the bottom, then fair them as you rise back up. It gets predictable, but it's fricking fail-proof a lot of the time. It could help you to advance on characters such as Snake, as once you're next to Snake you're in good condition.

Be very careful with the Drill Rush, too. It's very punishable to miss with it. Mach tornado is, in my opinion, a much better approacher as it's adjustable and has ridiculously low lag time if you land properly.

D

Deleted member

lol ice9 why didnt you just have me visit and teach you in person like the good ol' days lol

also:dont post back to back haha.just edit your posts O.~

Recharge

Smash Rookie
I actually find that when I use Drill Rush, it's more effective to trap the opponent in it, and then aim downwards to the floor. Though you should still shouldn't use it that frequently.

For Mach Tornado you should end it on the ground for the least lag if you aren't already, and either try to trap the opponent in it or land far away from them.

Sidenote: Concerning Nickieroonie's tactic with the floor, a Shuttle Loop would also work. Pretty good knockback.

xS A M U R A Ix

Smash Ace
vs. Snake: Drill Rush will go through Nikitas, use it. Down smash is very useful in this fight, and you really just have to rush him down once you get an opening. If he spams grenades, just throw them back at him. Your normals beat his out if you space them correctly. Snake's pretty unsafe in the air so air dodge if you get in a bad spot, and look out for his AAA combo, it can actually kill metaknight.

As for Mach Tornado, don't lift it off the ground unless it hits. Otherwise it's really unsafe. If it doesn't hit, pull away and recover far enough away to be safe.

Ice9

Smash Apprentice
Well after playing some WIFI, I have discovered one of two things

A) Once Metaknight Starts there is no real stopping him: Man i mean once I started There was no stopping me... Not because Im good (because im definately not) but because of Meta's comboability and just sheer speed.

B) You cant beat Wolf: Ever unless you have patience, which as a caffinated MK player, i really dont have. I guess Ill just have to work on combos and patience over spring break.

ollenberger121

Smash Apprentice
i dont have much of a problem with wolf its falco with his stun gun ....or any one els with a long range projectile......does any one els have a problem fighting lucas or ness?

Covenant

Smash Rookie
does any one els have a problem fighting lucas or ness?
Projectiles can be a problem for Metaknight players, but you should focus on approaching rather than distance handling of projectiles. At long range people like Pit and Fox are annoying but they won't even hit you if you shield at the right time and deflect the shot rather than absorb it. They might just do it forever though.

Thankfully, the mach tornado does have minor projectile-deflecting properties, so you can advance THROUGH projectiles by using it to spin forwards. A single tornado will cover a good deal of the terrain, and don't forget to short hop with an air dodge. Metaknight is a small, fastmoving target, and he has absolutely ZERO ranged game. There's no reason to be at range. Metaknight can't camp, he can't snipe, and he can't afford to get plinked. If you're not advancing on an enemy, you better just be running out the clock.

Frankly, melee characters with wide swipes should be your biggest concern, as these guys can afford to trade hits with you and will win. Marth, Link, Celda/Waker, even people like DK. Melee attacks come out faster than projectiles and have less lag and more threat. You need to be careful that you don't charge past a projectile and into a ftilt of Link's or something similar. People who like to throw are also aggrivating, as they can get a good opportunity after your advance. None of your moves leave you with enough spacing to avoid a grab or a poke.

Top Bottom