• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

question...sorry for new thread but

JettythatSamus

Smash Apprentice
I'm trying to take advantage of the contacts but for some reason I don't think my PMs are sending correctly because I haven't gotten a response yet and it's been a few days. I really want to hear responses to this question of mine so I apologize in advance for the thread but I'm very curious.
I sent the following message to both Aftermath and Phanna:

Basically, I can wavedash pretty consisently however, I can't help but still wonder if there's a more efficient way out there that is kind of, the standard method so to speak.

Example: I've watched videos of Wes wavedashing once back and once forth, or wavedashing backward and seemingly normally dashing forward and then wavedashing backward again so it looks like he's wavedashing in place. (Or at least, not really moving spots.) And the way both you and he do it so quickly is amazing to say the least but, what buttons do you press? I started out pressing Y and then L, then I switched to X and L, and that worked better, only I still have trouble with positioning my joystick to the left and right for the back and forth WD. Anyway, I started using X,L for WD left, and then quickly Y,L to go right(doesn't matter which way she's facing just XL for left, YL for right) and that works good.

Enough about me my main questions are, what buttons do you press? And does it really just take practice and there's no standard method?

Watty

Smash Lord
I press X and if ur asking how to wd in place what u do is juss hold the stick pretyt much down than press the buttons to WD. And ya it juss takes time once u get it down ur like omfg why did this take so long 4 me to learn.

TSK

Smash Apprentice
As Watty said, it really does just take practice... However, using y for one direction and x for another sounds really ackward to me. I would suggest you pick one or the other, I use x but I know people who use y so just practice and see which you feel more comfortable with. Also, I think R is easier to use than L for wavedashing. I would practice just going in one direction first then work on wavedashing back and forth once you get more comfortable with wavedashing. Also, the seemingly normally dashing forward then wavedashing back is just that... you just run forward a little then wavedash backwards.
Hope this helped.

Andromon58

Smash Apprentice
I think x and l is the classic approach, thats what i hear most people using. Thats what i use, at least.

wding back and forth (wavedancing) is just fast fingers, thats all. add a stick flick in there and and you get dashwavedancing.

Aftermath

Smash Champion
Yeah, sorry for not responding to your PM, I was gone all weekend and got back this morning.

Like the other people said, switching between two buttons for wavedashing is hardly ideal, and you should settle on the one that feels most ideal. I use X and R to WD, that's just how I learned and it was really easy to learn the timing for WDing quickly.

Practice is the best way to improve your WDing, and just doing it across FD is a good way to practice. One thing to avoid that I've seen a few people do is release the control stick between WDing, even if they're going the same direction, so that they have to hit the direction and buttons each time they want to WD. After a while of doing that, practice WDing twice one direction and twice backwards. Be sure not to have Samus turn around and be able to do it at a uniform, quick pace. Doing this a bunch will make it easy to go to the correct WD angle quickly and not have to think about it, and you'll be able to do everything you see Wes do with WDing.

As for R or L to airdodge, I've never seen anyone who WDes with L go as consistently or as fast as me, so my personal bias would sway me towards promoting that, especially with the "WD dancing," where your left hand will be more focused on the analog, and not timing the L button as precisely as if you used R.

But yeah, just experiment and see what works, do the stuff on FD I said, and to check if you're doing it frame perfect (at least the airdodge into the ground part), put a nametag on and make sure it doesn't move at all when you WD in place.

Top Bottom