• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Question on how to properly di/escape the jab lock

pinkdeaf1

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0387-9018-0614
Hey fox mains. I myself do have a fox for fun or as a secondary, yet I find myself having a problem whenever I play against a Fox with my own mains or in fox dittos. Specifically, I don't understand how to escape that (not so) infinite jab combo. I would like to ask you Fox mains, where do I di? Or do I mash jump or air dodge? I'm not sure if this matters, but I main Samus. Thanks a lot for your help.

Legato

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LLegato
Hello! For all purposes this video will guide you better than any of us could in terms of depth. Wonderful video by smashcorner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agTPENb_1gY

If you want a summary:

Samus can escape anytime by using Screw Attack. Word of Caution, once I know a Samus main is going to do this I will typically bait it to get a free usmash, so be careful.

For heavier chars just block/ DI down and block (Useful for: Falco, Fox dittos, and a few others).

Up B works for quite a few others (Marth, Lucina, Samus).

And some are just screwed (Mewtwo, Ness, Shulk etc).

While some can't escape it when at high percents (Mario, Luigi, Pikachu).

In general, trying to air dodge really never works. Trying to jump out of it does work for some like Jigglypuff if you DI up and away from Fox. The video outlines every char so watch it if you need more info. Hope this helped :)

Last edited:

pinkdeaf1

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0387-9018-0614
Hello! For all purposes this video will guide you better than any of us could in terms of depth. Wonderful video by smashcorner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agTPENb_1gY

If you want a summary:

Samus can escape anytime by using Screw Attack. Word of Caution, once I know a Samus main is going to do this I will typically bait it to get a free usmash, so be careful.

For heavier chars just block/ DI down and block (Useful for: Falco, Fox dittos, and a few others).

Up B works for quite a few others (Marth, Lucina, Samus).

And some are just screwed (Mewtwo, Ness, Shulk etc).

While some can't escape it when at high percents (Mario, Luigi, Pikachu).

In general, trying to air dodge really never works. Trying to jump out of it does work for some like Jigglypuff if you DI up and away from Fox. The video outlines every char so watch it if you need more info. Hope this helped :)
That was super helpful. Thanks :)

Duck SMASH!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C.Piglet
Smash is balanced, guys!

Yea. That video has all the best escape options for everybody.

How do you fight this incredibly easy to use combo?
I feel like you basically have to engage Fox and counter his offense with your own... but most of the time Fox is faster and if you don't engage him he'll just blaster spam until you approach. You can't outcamp him from afar because of his stupid reflector, and unless you have faster attacks than Fox he naturally has the advantage...

I use several mains (Bowser, Jr., Falcon, and Sonic). None of them are better at projectile pressure than Fox, and only Sonic is able to escape reliably without being combo'd to hell. (Bowser Jr. suffers the most... at least Bowser has passive armor to eat through the jabs at lower %s).
So... now what? How do you punish something as simple as the damn JAB combo?

Legato

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LLegato
Well, jab has short range and the combo really only works at higher percents for the most part. Jab cancel grab is rough and awesome though, especially if the Fox player is using RAR bair into that combo which is a great movement/spacing option.

Falcon is tough, I find him easy to overtake with Fox and then combo.

Mostly just outspace fox. Both sonic and B Jr. do a good job at this. Also, you yourself can do jabs with sonic if you need a fast response and think the Fox will go for a jab cancel. If you want to do some friendlies I'm free this weekend. I actually don't use the jab combo that much because it has limited utility. Sonic can easily escape it with up B so I seldom go for it with him because no combo ever results. I go to town on B Jr though, and Falcon I usually will jab lock-->usmash for kills.

If you stay midrange a good Fox will never use lasers. If they do you can punish quite easily. Mostly you need to really watch what a Fox is doing and be ready to react fast. Sonic is a pretty even MU in this since he has a bit more stage presence.

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
i find it to be best(if you're playing someone like :4mewtwo:) to just hold shield. i dont think any smash attack comes out quick enough to beat it(i know it beats usmash). also if you're on a platform over the ground, airdodge comes out fast enough to possibly get to the ground safely. but for characters that have no other way to beat it, just hold shield.

Top Bottom