• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Question] Link's Combos and Punishes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdaptiveTrigger

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AdaptiveTrigger
3DS FC
4055-4954-5664
I played a little Link in Melee and Brawl but I was never all that good with him even though I like the character's playstyle. I was hoping for someone to give me a few pointers on some of Link's combos and punishes.

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
Up tilt and nair and jab along with d throw are good for combos.Punishes include dash attack up smash and forward smash.

CostLow

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2509-2293-9367
Gale boomerang can be used for combos. One of my favorite things to do to get a little extra damage in is to hit the opponent a few times on the ground. If they are prone I'll toss the boomerang, which pushes them away a little, and then hit 'em with the arrow. I'm very good at it and it helps to return the opponent to the spacing I want. More often that not, the whole thing is kicked off with either stabs or a bomb, so it ends up looking pretty brutal when they take all those hits in a row. lol

If you really want to see great combos, get used to the trajectory and the knockback of each projectile. When coming from above and you hit the opponent with a bomb just to spike them back to the ground with your dair is another really painful looking combo. lol

AdaptiveTrigger

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AdaptiveTrigger
3DS FC
4055-4954-5664
One thing I've started practicing is (while holding a bomb) use air dodge, Zair, land, down b (throws bomb to cancel out landing lag), then dash attack. Works at lower percents but requires a certain distance for it all to connect together.

Eten

Smash Ace
Conditional on enemy character's weight, vectoring, and %

Close range bomb throw into just about anything.
One or two hit jab into downtilt. Also good method of shield pressure and poke.
One or two hit jab into downsmash. Also good method of poke and roll countering.
The one I try to go for most of the time is shorthop arrow, bomb throw to cancel landing lag, into Zair, into ftilt or shorthop fair.
Most of the time you can follow up out of a weak hit Nair.

I don't know of any guaranteed lead-ins to KO moves at higher %, or anything. I wish I did.

ConCeal12

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mimic19
A combo I can pull off on low percent on most of the cast is:

Bomb> down throw> FF Nair (sour spot)> Full Jab> charge arrow> shoot them on their tech roll
33%~

Punishing the tech roll is a tight window though.

Lunix7

Smash Apprentice
Some combos I usually do is Nair -> jab combo -> and when they are down and trying to roll out boomerang. Also at low percentages bomb -> Usmash works really well.

KingTeo

Smash Apprentice
Not really what you asked for but I think the most effective way to play link is to use his boomerang and neutral air as as jabs to close in on your opponent and rack up the damage. 456

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
Thanks to last patch, Link's downthrow is MUCH better, as well as his grab - so downthrow upsmash is a nice combo and can kill quite easily at higher percentage. Downthrow upair is one also depending on the player's percentage and how high they bounce (for a quick kill I mean)... Link has combo potential, but he can also BE comboed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom