• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Question] Best Advice for a New Link Main?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EpicCupcakez

Smash Rookie
NNID
EpicCupcakes
3DS FC
0018-1627-8120
Hey everyone!
So recently (as of a couple hours ago), I decided to pick up the holder of the Triforce of courage as my main in Smash 4, what's your best advice to someone who hasn't played Link previous?
Thanks guys!

Last edited:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
First: Grow a very thick skin, you'll need it.
Second: Go in here and learn all you can about Link from there.
Third: Go and lose until you win.
Fourth: When you've lost enough and still have not won, come back here and ask for feedback.
Five: Get trolled...and some feedback...maybe.
Six: If you haven't developed a thick skin, feel bad and confused. If you have, feel bad but pretend you don't.
Seven: Go out and play and lose some more.
Eight: Come back, get trolled more.
Nine: I just really wanted to make this a ten point list.
Ten: There, I did it.

Now go out and lose until you win.

Last edited:

ConsummateK

Smash Cadet
Be deliberate with your practice. I've found that if I take the time to intentionally consider what I'm doing wrong, what I could be doing better, and then work on that thing during FG rounds...that is extremely satisfying. So even if you're losing pretty much every match (I think I sat at 10% for a bit) you can get little victories to keep you going.

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
Don't forget that you can throw your boomerang down into the ground.

TFofTruth

Smash Rookie
Something I always do when picking up a new character...

Step 1 - Learn the language
Train with each and every move. Play some 3 stock matches against CPUs (moving targets) and for each match, use ONE of Link's moves. If you force yourself to only use the boomerang, for example, you'll find yourself getting creative to find ways to kill with it. You'll also learn where exactly it goes, how hard it hits and the knockback at different percentages. Learn the trajectory of your up+B and how to connect with it just right. Consider each character's move list like a vocab list for a language. You need to learn your ABC's before you start writing novels.

Step 2 - Basic grammar
Step up the CPU level and now do exactly the opposite of above, force yourself to use EVERY move in every match. These are like grammar exercises where you are putting together sentences based on the words you've learned.

Step 3 - Debate
Play against people... and realize you will lose. Every loss is a learning experience. Go over matches in your head and try to figure out why you lost. Hint: "I'm not good enough" is not a correct answer, or at least not a specific enough answer. People here will help you figure out where you're going wrong, allowing you to refocus your efforts.

Naroghin

Smash Ace
NNID
Naroghin
Piggy back on step three above: record your matches whenever possible and actually watch them thoroughly. Take note, as a spectator, what bad habits you possess and what areas you need to work on. If you are having trouble doing this yourself, find a way to post some representative videos in the Video Critique thread we have here on the Link boards. That is the best way to get the most specific help regarding not just Link, but your Link.

EpicCupcakez

Smash Rookie
NNID
EpicCupcakes
3DS FC
0018-1627-8120
Thank you everyone! Everything has helped me so far :)

General Tsao

Smash Rookie
Dude. You probably play the best defensive Link I have ever seen. You take advantage of all his defensive options (especially in the Samus fight), which is good. I think I might consider using some aspects of your meta for the ZSS MU. If you were going for being a total troll with Link online, you get a solid 10/10. :)

The only thing I don't like though is that you severely limit many of his other options and reduce yourself to spamming projectiles and recovering low with spin attack. A really good competitive player would see this and find a way to punish you hard for it. They also won't run into all your attacks like the other players did in your matches. You play your Link with what I call "Iron Boots," meaning you play him solely on the ground and never leave the stage. Basically, you play like Little Mac, and that only takes Link so far. You should use some of his aerials more, take advantage of more ATs, use Zair (clawshot in the air). Open yourself up to the many other things Link can do. He's a very versatile character with lots of potential, so experiment with his many options. DO MORE WITH LINK.

Btw, :4link:>:4tlink:. Nuff said. :p

Could anyone elaborate a little more on the aerials, ATs, and Zair? I feel like I'm an "Iron Boots" Link as well, and I don't really know how to expand my versatility.

On aerieals:
I have problems linking the two hits of Fair and Bair together; FF Nairs into jab are my aerial weapon of choice. Any tips there?

ATs:
What ATs do you recommend first learning?

Zair:
What's the best usage of Zair? Poke with it into a jab on landing?

I also like canceling the first or second jab into UpB when people roll behind me; should I be canceling into Dsmash or something else instead? UpB is very punishable, but I find UpB is easier to hit with than Dsmash.

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
So I'm not a pro but I've played Link a lot through each of his incarnations of Smash, so take this with a grain of salt.
And anyone, please correct me or share stories/theories in response because I'd hate to be misleading by mistake.

On aerieals:
I have problems linking the two hits of Fair and Bair together; FF Nairs into jab are my aerial weapon of choice. Any tips there?
This is one I picked up during some brawl time and it translates over to Wii U well enough for me. Short hop for you Bair and Fair. Remember, you can actually commit your Bair and Nair at the exact moment you jump to, so as you're rising you can keep hitting (best I've ever done is 6 hits with Bair: 2 on first hop, 2 on second hop, 2 on fall).

ATs:
What ATs do you recommend first learning?
I'd say Short Hop and Fast Fall. They're just big time savers. After that, I'd learn a little about bomb sliding and S-Smashing. (Can someone remind me if we have DI back? I'm pretty we do. If yes, then learn Directional Influence).

Zair:
What's the best usage of Zair? Poke with it into a jab on landing?
Zair is a beautiful thing. It's good for spacing and for a surprising offensive attack when your opponent thinks you're going to dive in with a Fair or Nair. Additionally, you can be really creative with comboing off Zair. See, if you pull a bomb, then hit Z while you're midair, you'll throw the bomb. But if you pull a bomb, air dodge, then quickly hit Z, you'll Zair, then you can throw the bomb. It's a good little surprise when they think they know what's coming.
On a different note, if you leave the Stick in the neutral position and hit Zair while holding a bomb, you'll drop the bomb directly below you. Every so often, someone panics about that and it's hilarious haha.

Main rule of thumb, don't be predictable. Link is a really fun character because he has so much versatility and utility - be aggressive, defensive, adaptable, and whatever else you need. Hope that helps some! :)

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
First off, welcome to playing Link! He's my favorite character, has been since Smash 64. I'm not winning any tournaments with him in the GA area (unless they are online :p) but I do tend to place 15-20ish out of 80... so there's some hope there.

As far as new strategies, I agree with those who say do NOT fully rely on your projectiles. Use Link's entire arsenal. Read the Question/Answer thread on Smashboards. For his projectiles - they are good for setting up other attacks. The bombs are great for damage, to block off parts of the stage (To push the opponent into another part of the stage) so you can attack them there. Link's grab and downthrow has been improved recently, so those are both great to use for combos. I would strongly avoid spamming fsmash, up-B, and his dash attack because those tend to get you killed more than help, but his fsmash is a great kill move... just time it right. Be sure to use his projectiles though - I see a lot of Links not using them and just sword-chasing, which also gets you killed. It's great to balance the two, which I feel that I do. Also, shorthop nairs/bairs work really well. Against floaty characters, try to get out of the air and down to the stage ASAP because Link gets juggled quite easily. Just note how much time you have after each missed attack that Link is vulnerable and try to avoid using that. His jabs are quick and great to get players away from you while you attack at range again and setup other attacks. But nonetheless, ignore those who will try to put you down for playing this character. He's fun and has a lot of tools to get the job done. He just won't win a major anytime soon, but that's okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom