• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Question about SHL with Falco

vizayad89

Smash Rookie
I have most of the SHL techniques down with Falco. However, I can't seem to figure out how to SHL where I keep the momentum of my dash but laser the other way. Most of the time, whenever I dash and laser backwards, I don't move too far in the air. Any suggestions on what needs to be done? Thanks

NotAnAdmin

Smash Journeyman
Simple, out of your shorthop, quickly flick the control stick in the direction that you want to turn to and let it go back to it's neutral position.
Then press b.
It'll take a bit of practice, but it's pretty easy to get down.

vizayad89

Smash Rookie
Simple, out of your shorthop, quickly flick the control stick in the direction that you want to turn to and let it go back to it's neutral position.
Then press b.
It'll take a bit of practice, but it's pretty easy to get down.
Aight, that makes sense. I have a sneaking suspicion that I'm actually turning before the short hop. Thanks for the advice

J⩓мє

Smash Apprentice
This is just a matter of practice, tbh. Like, it's hard at first, especially to get the laser at a height you want while the turn around laser input. Based on what you're saying I'd recommend practicing out of a run for a while so that you cannot possibly turn before you enter the air.

Also if you don't hold a direction during the second to last frame of the jumpsquat animation, your horizontal jump speed is massively reduced comparatively, to at least 60% of what it would have been (a max of 1.02 instead of 1.7). So, basically, practice the following: hold the direction you're dashing until you're in the air, then once in the air do the turn around laser input, then hold the direction you're going to make sure you keep yourself at or above your terminal aerial x-velocity (+/-.81963) until you land, otherwise you slow down gradually based on the game's idea of air resistance, and based on your acceleration due to your input's influence on Falco (ie. slowing down by holding left). If you're above a certain speed, and input the turn around input as lightly and as quickly as possible (as to minimize the influence of your inputs on Falco's momentum), you should still land going faster in regards to your x-velocity than Falco's terminal air x-velocity (going faster than ~.82). The difference is incredibly visible, so you don't have to hack the game to visually see the difference of what I'm talking about once you get it a few times, but I can potentially make a gif out of this, so everyone can see the differences in takeoff speed, if anyone wants to see the difference off the bat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tY3XugmyMow this is highly related to what I'm discussing in this paragraph.

If you want to double check what I've posted in terms of numbers, which I strongly suggest getting in the habit of double checking things you read or hear, or directly familiarizing yourself with the means of doing so, you can use a 20XX 4 beta image to gain access to their reworked debug mode's floating point number displays, to show Falco's in game velocity information on the frame it's applied. Feel free to direct message me to ask any me questions on how exactly to do this. I think there's other ways to double check this, like using Dolphin's debug mode, so I might edit this post in the future to include those methods.

I dumped a lot of velocity data from the game in making this post so I'm probably going to clean that up and post it somewhere at some later point.

Last edited:

Klemes

Smash Journeyman
This is just a matter of practice, tbh. Like, it's hard at first, especially to get the laser at a height you want while the turn around laser input. Based on what you're saying I'd recommend practicing out of a run for a while so that you cannot possibly turn before you enter the air.

Also if you don't hold a direction during the second to last frame of the jumpsquat animation, your horizontal jump speed is massively reduced comparatively, to at least 60% of what it would have been (a max of 1.02 instead of 1.7). So, basically, practice the following: hold the direction you're dashing until you're in the air, then once in the air do the turn around laser input, then hold the direction you're going to make sure you keep yourself at or above your terminal aerial x-velocity (+/-.81963) until you land, otherwise you slow down gradually based on the game's idea of air resistance, and based on your acceleration due to your input's influence on Falco (ie. slowing down by holding left). If you're above a certain speed, and input the turn around input as lightly and as quickly as possible (as to minimize the influence of your inputs on Falco's momentum), you should still land going faster in regards to your x-velocity than Falco's terminal air x-velocity (going faster than ~.82). The difference is incredibly visible, so you don't have to hack the game to visually see the difference of what I'm talking about once you get it a few times, but I can potentially make a gif out of this, so everyone can see the differences in takeoff speed, if anyone wants to see the difference off the bat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tY3XugmyMow this is highly related to what I'm discussing in this paragraph.

If you want to double check what I've posted in terms of numbers, which I strongly suggest getting in the habit of double checking things you read or hear, or directly familiarizing yourself with the means of doing so, you can use a 20XX 4 beta image to gain access to their reworked debug mode's floating point number displays, to show Falco's in game velocity information on the frame it's applied. Feel free to direct message me to ask any me questions on how exactly to do this. I think there's other ways to double check this, like using Dolphin's debug mode, so I might edit this post in the future to include those methods.

I dumped a lot of velocity data from the game in making this post so I'm probably going to clean that up and post it somewhere at some later point.
I remember reading gravy's guide to controlling your jumps. What I learned there is that if you input jump/SH during your dash animation, then you will automatically cover the longest possible distance in a SH, and won't have any control on your aerial drift (as opposed to "neutral" jumps). So if this is true, then you could dash>SH>turnaround>laser(>FF) with the max distance/speed, without having to hold away after the laser input. Is that correct to you ? Is there something I didn't get right ?

J⩓мє

Smash Apprentice
I remember reading gravy's guide to controlling your jumps. What I learned there is that if you input jump/SH during your dash animation, then you will automatically cover the longest possible distance in a SH, and won't have any control on your aerial drift (as opposed to "neutral" jumps). So if this is true, then you could dash>SH>turnaround>laser(>FF) with the max distance/speed, without having to hold away after the laser input. Is that correct to you ? Is there something I didn't get right ?
I remember gravy saying that too, I think it has to do with Falcon's aerial acceleration stats & terminal airspeed vs Falco's, but I need to lab the comparisons (I'll edit this message) to give you a direct comparison between what Gravy pointed out for Falcon, and what happens with Falco. Anecdotally, however, you can enter an analog-backwards jump (ie backflip) during a dash and still land behind where Falco was. you do in fact have control over your aerial velocity and therefore a kind of 'drift' during a dash-sh with Falco, with a fully analog forward jump input, if you hold back through the jump, you go significantly less far, and your final x-velocity ends up being close to 0.

But I'll get some hard numbers, and some gifs from Dolphin+OBS or something. There's some things in my notes from last time which seemed interesting, so this might be some well needed motivation to get the hang of posting that kind of stuff in a concise manner.

Klemes

Smash Journeyman
I remember gravy saying that too, I think it has to do with Falcon's aerial acceleration stats & terminal airspeed vs Falco's, but I need to lab the comparisons (I'll edit this message) to give you a direct comparison between what Gravy pointed out for Falcon, and what happens with Falco. Anecdotally, however, you can enter an analog-backwards jump (ie backflip) during a dash and still land behind where Falco was. you do in fact have control over your aerial velocity and therefore a kind of 'drift' during a dash-sh with Falco, with a fully analog forward jump input, if you hold back through the jump, you go significantly less far, and your final x-velocity ends up being close to 0.

But I'll get some hard numbers, and some gifs from Dolphin+OBS or something. There's some things in my notes from last time which seemed interesting, so this might be some well needed motivation to get the hang of posting that kind of stuff in a concise manner.
That'd be splendid ! I'll try and mess around with save states or something to compare these jumps for my own curiosity, but I haven't gotten myself in that debug mode science just yet. Anyway I'll appreciate whatever kind of detective work you'll do !

Top Bottom