• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Question about Dash Attack vs. Boost Grab

Andrew Wiggin

Smash Rookie
When is it optimal to dash attack over boost grab when playing Sheik? I know that dash attack is very good, but it just seems like boost grab is better in most situations. My reasoning behind this is that they both have very similar range, hitboxes, and speed, but it just seems like landing a boost grab is better than dash attack. Also boost grab goes around shields and dash attack usually doesn't. So back to my original question, when is it optimal to dash attack over boost grab when playing Sheik?

Yunny

Smash Rookie
a simple thing to consider would be combo %s
if you get a grab at said percent, can you ftilt>fair?
Or say it's a Marth for example:
Dash attack at around 100% can lead to an uair ko on non really high ceillings

Seal

Smash Journeyman
Avoid dash attacking at low percentage, it's usually a bad idea. At like 40-80% (lower for floating, higher for fast fallers) the dash attack can combo into any of sheik's aerials.

dude it's raining

Smash Journeyman
Primary factor at play is them crouch canceling. I know for Fox, you should regrab until 40%, with Falco it's 80%. After that, dash attack is a good launcher/knockdowner, and you should be able to followup into a kill.

$alsa

Smash Cadet
NNID
itzall1848
Okay, so I had and still kind of do have so trouble using these two in the right situation, however that's just cause of auto pilot sometimes lol.

I'll use Sheik vs Fox as an example, you cannot do dash attack under 50% or so because he will CC and punish you, so basically you just need to Jump Cancel grab him.
If a Fox is dash dancing you need to boost grab him.
If fox is above 50% then it might be an okay time to dash attack, however if he's dash dancing I still like to boost grab him because I don't know if I'll hit him, but that's just because of poor judgement in the moment, so boost grab is the safer option if you don't space it horribly.

And basically with that, if I grab them, I try to get them near edge then edge guard them, because fox will panic.
But if they're high percent, then dash attack will probably combo into fair.

ezpz
A rule of thumb I like to follow
<= 50% = Boost grab.
>= 60% = Dash attack.

Also these are just super safe %s, nothing too specific, if anything I'm probably just off by 10%

Top Bottom