• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A: Smash Hell, For Glory Hell, or Ban Land

Was this helpful?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

KetchupKaffei

Smash Apprentice
I'm making this thread solely on the purpose of providing information gathered from first hand experience to answer questions that many users may ask or have asked towards this situation.
This could also be used as guide as well.

It is important for players to be aware of this before it is too late.

Q:What is Smash Hell, For Glory Hell, or Ban Land?

A: Smash Hell, For Glory Hell, or Ban Land is a term many users use for the abnormal responses of searching for matches in public online modes.
This includes continuously empty lobbies after researching, finding the same opponent in repeated searches, not being able to join active tournaments, and joining fresh(empty) tournaments with no one joining.

Q: How did I end up here?
A: There are a couple factors of ending up in this ban situation:
> You have been reported way too many times by other players in public online modes
> You have broken set rules given for public modes
> You have been disconnected way too many times for not following set rules
> You have reported other players way too many times

> Inappropriate mii or username

Mainly though, it is the fact you were reported way too many times by other players is always the case of this happening.

Q: How and why was I reported?
A: You could have been reported for numerous amount reasons. It could be that the player did not favor your playstyle, that the player is not fine with losing a match to another player, the player has a bad connection experience with you, the player dislikes the character you play as, or etc.

At the end of each match played in public online modes, you are given a option to view the opponent's player card, showing their information and motto when selected. There, you're given more options, whether you would like to send a friend request to the player, block the player, or report the player.

Q: How many reports does it take for me to get banned?
A: The amount of reports are still unknown at this point, but from what I learned and experienced, I'm pretty sure it is going by the x amount of reports you receive within y amount of days.

Instead of the reports gathering up onward, it resets itself after a certain amount of days preventing you from getting banned at a limit.

Q: You can get banned for disconnects?
A: Yes, but this only happens if you have a plethora amount of disconnects because of breaking rules repeatedly.
The game may give you a soft ban(a set timer before being able to play), or you're thrown into banland for the repeated disconnects.
For the game to disconnect you from game lobbies are:
> Targeting a single player in FFA public online modes
> Being Idle
> Cheating
> Excessive amount of self destructs

Q: You can get banned for reporting other players way too much?

A: Yes, excessive reporting on other players also grants you a ban.
When you submit a report on a player, the game gives you a pop up regarding the consequences of reporting way too many times, because the system would be persuaded you're making false reports(which the game does not condone as well).

Q: I don't belong here! I didn't break any of the rules at all! Why am I here?
A: This means you have been reported countless times within a certain amount of days.
Yes, you didn't break any rules, but the reports you received are not reviewed at all by any moderators.
Instead the system goes by the amount of reports within a certain amount of days.
So regardless if you didn't break any of the following rules provided for the online mode of this game, you can still be banned for countless reports from other players.

Q: Can I call Nintendo or visit their website to request the ban being lifted?
A: No, as the many experiences of others attempting this method it only leaves them to the same conclusion.
Nintendo Customer Service does not have control over that, nor do they have anyone in the smash department to communicate with. They'll first be unaware of the situation, then research the problem and tell you they're unable to help you and the only support they can provide is to type a email/note to Nintendo for higher up's to review.

This will get you nowhere.

Q: Can I make another account or delete save data to trick the game?
A: No, this also will get you nowhere. The game goes by console or handheld ID and does not use any save data whatsoever to have you banned.

Q: Can I use another Wii U console or 3DS Handheld to be unbanned?
A: Yes, the game goes by console or handheld ID, so you should be fine.

Q: So I'm banned, what should I do?
A: Wait. You must wait until the ban is lifted and you must not play any online public modes anymore for the time being.
Doing so we will result your ban being prolonged/Greater length of time of being banned.

**You may play with your friends in private game lobbies, this is fine and not harmful.**

Q: How long does the ban last??
A: The ban lasts for a week(seven days) on average. It depends if you were still playing while banned which can result in bad scenarios, such as being banned for 2+ months.
It is VERY important to know if you're banned or not before it's too late.

To easily keep track of your average ban(a week) length time, just mark the day of the week and time you were banned and it will be the same day of the week and time you're unbanned.
For example: You were banned on Friday, 3:00 pm. You're then unbanned next Friday, same time, 3:00 pm.

Q: How do I know if the ban was lifted?
A: Wii U: You can go into tourney in online mode and try to enter a active regular tournament bracket(active tournament meaning it must contain at least one player or more players that entered the tournament).
> If you are able to enter a active regular tournament consisting one or more players, the ban is lifted.
> If you receive a pop up listing "unable to join tourney" trying to join a active regular tournament consisting one or more players, your ban was not yet lifted

3DS: Since there is no tourney mode in the 3DS version of Super Smash Bros.
You have to keep searching game lobbies in public online modes, preferable For Fun, free-for-all.

> After Searching 8 times with empty game lobbies or game lobbies consisting with the same named player(s),
your ban was not yet lifted.

Q: Are the development team aware of this outcry on the reporting system and have had any response?
A: At the time being, no.
They did not make a response to this at all as of yet, nor do I think there ever will be.
They have moved onto new projects.

Q: Yay! The ban was lifted, I'm free! Freedom!!
A: Not so fast, Sanic the hedgehog.
Just because the ban is lifted doesn't mean you can do whatever you want.
You're under probation, meaning three, two, or even one report can lead you back to yet another ban.

At this state you must play safe. Meaning be mindful with what you're doing for maybe a week or more.
> Do not play For Glory 1-on-1, these are where the reports mainly come from.
> Do not disturb Taunt Parties, another area where reports mainly come from.
> Do not get a disconnect for breaking any of the listed rules.

Play it Safe.

Q: Well, what am I supposed to do then, pal?
A: I recommend still playing with friends in private online lobbies.
You can go on websites like Anthers Ladder for organized friendlies or ranked matches as well.
After maybe three or four days(a week and a half to be on the safe side) you should be safe to play a little in public online modes.
You could also play other games as well too.

This concludes this Q&A, if you have questions that were not listed here, feel free to ask.

Play it safe

Last edited:

MarshieMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MarshieMan
Thank you! I got into FG hell today for no reason at all. I guess ill just be playing FG on my girlfriend's Wii U for the next week lol

KetchupKaffei

Smash Apprentice
Thank you! I got into FG hell today for no reason at all. I guess ill just be playing FG on my girlfriend's Wii U for the next week lol
No problem, I'm glad to help others out such as yourself :)
Have fun!

Last edited:

Uffe

Smash Hero
A lot of these reasons are stupid. "I don't like how you play, therefore I'm going to report you." Fortunately this sort of thing can't happen in real life.

MarshieMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MarshieMan
Ive found that Anther's ladder is wayyy better than FG anyways. Its almost been a blessing to get banned

KetchupKaffei

Smash Apprentice
A lot of these reasons are stupid. "I don't like how you play, therefore I'm going to report you." Fortunately this sort of thing can't happen in real life.
Unfortunately, it does happen. If it wasn't true, innocent players wouldn't be banned.
"I don't like how you play, therefore I'm going to report you." Falls in the line of the player thinking you're playing "lame" therefore they get upset and report you.
The player could think you're playing too aggressive or too defensive and grows upset with your playstlye.
You also have to keep in mind children are also on here too.

KetchupKaffei

Smash Apprentice
Ive found that Anther's ladder is wayyy better than FG anyways. Its almost been a blessing to get banned
I wouldn't be surprised at all if you did prefer Ladder, people always tend to say and think that.
Hope you enjoy your battles!

EDIT: Whoops double post

Last edited:

toonlinkromantic

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5258-3115-1656
So, say someone still played online for the entire week they were banned (but they also had no idea they weren't supposed to be on it at all), will the ban be a week longer or will it automatically go to a month or two?

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
So, say someone still played online for the entire week they were banned (but they also had no idea they weren't supposed to be on it at all), will the ban be a week longer or will it automatically go to a month or two?
It probably depends on whether or not all those kind souls I'm sure you ran into reported you or not ;).
But in all seriousness it does depend on whether or not you were reported during that week, or, that is believed to be the trigger at least. When I spoke to a nintendo rep about it she said it was actually an algorithm that was deciding how long your stay would be, so if you are giving it more inputs, i.e. reports, it most certainly continues to recalculate your sentence but I doubt it automatically jumps to a month or two.

My question is though, I'm now serving my second sentence, after my first ban, I just borrowed my friend's Wii U, for about six weeks even though I was out after a week. Now it took 3 months for me to be banned again, and I would like to know if anyone who has been banned multiple times has experience the time it takes for them to get thrown back in getting shorter and shorter? Or is it simply what I hope it is, that X number of reports, in a finite Y amount of time= ban? Thus the reports reset after a week, or something, and don't continually stack up until you are banned again. I know this a theory spoken about in this thread, but how sure are we of this?

Im thinking I may just play as my wife's mii for a while this next time, since my mii is pretty memorable, and I get the feeling that some of the same people I run into pretty regularly (not in ban land), are the salty b!tches that continue to report me.

Top Bottom