• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Punishing Neutral get up

w0ah

Smash Cadet
NNID
lanybobany
I was playing friendlies on Anthers last night and I found that jab is a really good option for punishing neutral get up. Your opponent will be in hitstun for a while after sliding off the ledge. This gives enough time to run off and get a Back-air.

This is effective at any percent, but it can be used to easily kill cloud for example at around 15% just by hitting him under smashville. Then there are other options on stages with very low blastzones by fastfalling the Bair and having them air dodge trying to tech.

Tl;dr Jab -> bair on ledge is good

hell-dew

Smash Apprentice
TBH i like jabbing if the person is off stage and Dairing if they try regular get up i find jab is kinda dumb cause they can get up and shield between hits >.> although you can delay the jab for mix ups on shield

w0ah

Smash Cadet
NNID
lanybobany
TBH i like jabbing if the person is off stage and Dairing if they try regular get up i find jab is kinda dumb cause they can get up and shield between hits >.> although you can delay the jab for mix ups on shield
Yeah dair is the better option but it they shield just keep doing it lol. Also you can jab out of fair and gimp at low %s.

hell-dew

Smash Apprentice
I like jab at the ledge cause it sets up for surprised edge guards which people dont expect. also dair isnt safe on shield it can be shield grabbed between the initial hit and the second hit (assuming you land) people who know the pikachu MU will punish this but dair is really good against ledge getup cause it covers jump up and neutral get up really well.

Emuchu

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Emuchu
3DS FC
2320-6462-6471
I like jab at the ledge cause it sets up for surprised edge guards which people dont expect. also dair isnt safe on shield it can be shield grabbed between the initial hit and the second hit (assuming you land) people who know the pikachu MU will punish this but dair is really good against ledge getup cause it covers jump up and neutral get up really well.
I think when people use Dair to cover the ledge, they're talking about the autocancel version. You can jump in with the first hit of Dair and fade back to avoid punishment.

hell-dew

Smash Apprentice
i was referring to dairing shield (in general)

dair at the ledge is a constant hitbox you cant shield before the dair on getup cause you get hit

Brokemon

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3969-6508-7781
If you can bait the neutral get up you can also punish it with an F-smash, it's not the most reliable punish but I seem to get it often enough if I start walking away to bait neutral get up and then PP F-smash

lmntolp

Smash Apprentice
As a mixup I like to go offstage to threaten a trump, then come back with a double jump bair. If I'm lucky, they'll be sent offstage to be edgeguarded again. If they shield, I can drift back offstage and recover with QA.

Last edited:

phili

Smash Apprentice
NNID
phili11
Also im fairly sure jab > bair doesn't work if your opponent expects it. There is enough time for them to air dodge, jump away, or mash up b and punish you.

Novaneith

Smash Rookie
NNID
V1talic
Jab > Bair can be good but as said, it can be airdodged (jump is very tricky, and most of the time you will just hit them right after the double jump, exept for characters with a good horizontale mobility. Note that yoshi's super armor don't come fast enough most of the time). Very good against bad reco, especially falcon, or as a mixup with on stage edgeguards.

Auto cancelled Dair on their 2 frames is a good option, and can be followed either by a jab lock if the opponent gets thrown on stage (or a tech chase), or by another aerial (double jump nair, falling bair or fast fall Fair. The last one is more situationnal than the other 2) to gimp opponent's double jump or just pushing them farther.

You can also utilt facing the edge. High risk high reward, you can get grabed if you miss the 2 frames, so do it against slow shieldgrabs (link, toon link, greninja, samus, maybe ZSS, etc).
Covers stale, standard get up and roll, and can combo into other aerials, or even thunder around 110+% until 140+%, scalling with weight.
Very situationnal anyway, but a good option to know, especially when mixed with grabs since it covers standard get up > spotdodge really well. To kill, you'll prefer to Fsmash on the 2 frames with a mid range spacing (a lot safer than utilt), or to condition a roll get up by:
  • punishing standard get up a lot and keeping the opponent from ledge jumping (conditionning from previous edgeguards or just by short hopping > take care to get up attack)
  • after a trump
  • Going offstage then quickly double jumping back on the stage (mixed with offstage edgeguards)
then go for the running Usmash.

If you're not confident about your option select, a Nair is the safest option, covering both jump and standard get up (as does short hop auto cancelled Dair), but safe on shield, and safer against roll get up. Still covers get up attack, but it trades most of the time, when Dair wins most of the time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom