• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Punishing missed tech off throws

Poskii

Smash Rookie
I'm pretty new to playing this game seriously, and one of my biggest problems is being able to punish missed techs off my throws. It's at the point where my friends just don't tech me because they know I can't do anything about it. Any suggestions about how to punish missed techs in the grab game?

derdian

Smash Cadet
jab

The following error occurred:
Please enter a message with at least 10 characters.

AudioSilver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3797-7513-8784
If your opponent misses a tech, you probably could Jab Reset them into a Forward Smash. Down Tilt isn't a bad option either.

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
What throw are you using that they have an opportunity to tech in the first place? I use 2 throws: uthrow under 98% of circumstances. Dthrow when my backs at the ledge to set up an edgeguard. That's it.

DeadPigeon

Smash Apprentice
What throw are you using that they have an opportunity to tech in the first place? I use 2 throws: uthrow under 98% of circumstances. Dthrow when my backs at the ledge to set up an edgeguard. That's it.
Fthrow and Dthrow are really good too. Don't just uthrow. :p

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Dthrow to turnaround jab reset is standard. Works unless they DI away (behind/away from you) up until whenever jab resets don't work anymore (mid-upper 30s?). Buffering dthrow with c-stick helps beat their DI.

Obviously techchasing on platforms is good, and I think that's what Hector means by uthrow. Free ff tipper uairs, utilts, and wL grabs.

Fthrow i don't really use that much, accept at the edge and getting multiple regrabs at 0% (surprising how often ppl don't DI-- yes I play high level players). Frustration factor lol

Typically grab is best when techchasing on stage, unless you are spaced for a tipper fsmash, reverse up-b, or something that will definitely kill.

Last edited:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
I feel like @ -ACE- -ACE- gives the best Marth advice, and he doesn't even play Marth.
He's my secondary (and technically my first competitive main long ago), and a lot of zoning/defensive strats carry over from Ganon.

I give more advice on the Ganon boards than anyone else and have written guides and made countless posts helping newcomers... I just like spreading info and watching people do better. I have a very deep understanding of this game and how the meta is played but I will also be learning from you guys. Discussion is a good thing.

Top Bottom