• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Punishing Mario

dude it's raining

Smash Journeyman
So I play against this casual mario a lot, and Mario really annoys me. I want to get better with the matchup, but I'll research that on my own time.
What I'm worried about is his crouch cancel. I'm at that point in smash where I'm trying to improve my fundamentals, and thus my punish game. So I see mario has some lag, so I attack, and boom he crouch cancel dsmashes and I'm off stage.
Should I just always grab to punish his lag? Is there something about cc i don't get?

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Who do you play as?
EDIT: You can space around the CC. I can't say much, unless you clarify, who you play.

Last edited:

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Fox/Marth/Sheik, and I'm working on a Pit.
As fox, just shine after said aerial. Fox hardly ever, has to worry about anyone's CC game, because of his shine. As Marth, you can just grab, bait him or use a spaced dtilt. I don't know about sheik and pit has a hard time against mario.

cod3kill

Smash Cadet
As fox, just shine after said aerial. Fox hardly ever, has to worry about anyone's CC game, because of his shine. As Marth, you can just grab, bait him or use a spaced dtilt. I don't know about sheik and pit has a hard time against mario.
To add to this, since Marth's Dair is a spike it beats crouch cancelling. Obviously that's not the only way you want to beat it, but its just another option you have. Also I'm not too familiar with Sheik so don't take my word for it but I think her forward smash (and maybe downsmash?) beat CC.

Last edited:

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
To add to this, since Marth's Dair is a spike it beats crouch cancelling. Obviously that's not the only way you want to beat it, but its just another option you have. Also I'm not too familiar with Sheik so don't take my word for it but I think her forward smash (and maybe downsmash?) beat CC.
I think you may be referring to how Meteor Smashes pop opponents up, which I'm assuming (idk) would beat CC. Spikes like Marth's D-air don't share that property though.

dude it's raining

Smash Journeyman
Who do you play as?
EDIT: You can space around the CC. I can't say much, unless you clarify, who you play.
Sorry to dredge up an old post, but I just cannot contain my excitement that I just know understood what it means to "space around the CC".
I just read TAI's Marth guide, and the stuff about positional advantage makes me love the game even more. I now understand why sometimes I feel like Marth's grabs suck coz I can't get any damage/followups off of them, when they're really good for set ups. Like in pool, how you can shoot the ball not to sink anything but to mess up your opp's shots and set up your own.
I can't wait to go play some ppl tomorrow and be like yo that's my space.

Last edited:
Top Bottom