• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Punishing fox - falco side b recovery

ChaoI16I

Smash Rookie
I've been having trouble punishing spacies side b recovery. I often miss the jab and get hit by the side b or get spiked by falcos side b while trying to attempt a fair. What are some other options to hitting them with side b? Down tilt works but only if they do it low enough to hit them and I find f tilt and jab hard to time. How could I work on the timing? CPU's don't every use side b to recover

A_Reverie

Smash Apprentice
Your solution is simply practice. Jabbing their attempt to Side-B through you and D-tilting their attempt to Side-B to the ledge are the best options in most cases.

Have a look at Kadano's Post on the topic for more insight.
(EDIT) On that note, @Kadano the pictures in the post I linked are broken. You may already be aware, though

20XX 4.05 AI uses side-B to recover, mostly to the ledge, so I would try to acquire it to practice with if you get a chance.

Last edited:

Pauer

The Pauerful
20XX 4.05 AI uses side-B to recover, mostly to the ledge, so I would try to acquire it to practice with if you get a chance.
On that topic, I looked into the source code for the Melee AI project a few days ago and edited it so that fox (only fox works atm) side-Bs into your face like a third of the time. The recovery logic is still rather flawed and predictable in a lot of ways (edit: though not much more than in 20XX) but perhaps it'll help you out. You can also play against falco but he will think he has fox's recovery length and SD a lot but you can probably practice throws and stuff.

To get my custom version, follow the instructions on the Melee AI post and use my custom xdelta patch.. For some reasons the whole thing is buggy a lot of the time when i play on my wii. What happens is that for some reason the code doesn't find the stage ID and sets the stage coordinates in the middle of the screen so if you see fox recover into center stage and miss all techs then you might wanna reset the console.

Last edited:

AirFair

Marth tho
It's mostly practicing the timing. You can always shield if you feel like you won't hit it in time, and then get them out of the lag, assuming they landed on stage.

xXadevs2000Xx

Smash Apprentice
If a Falco does an invincible side b from the ledge, you can either clank with it and be frame positive, and try to go for a followup.

Or you can shield it and WD OoS to punish the end lag.

Kadano talked about this at some point, I think in his thread, so that's something that you can know as well.

AirFair

Marth tho
I wouldn't go for clank, since the wd OoS option seems safer to me. In both scenarios, aren't you technically frame positive?

xXadevs2000Xx

Smash Apprentice
Yes........................................................................... (10 characters lol)

Top Bottom