• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Punch-Out!! Opponents for Brawl

icymatt

Smash Lord
Because it seems like today is Punch-Out!! boxer day, I thought it might be a good idea to devote a thread to everyone from this awesome series who hasn't been mentioned. Now, I don't expect any of these characters to appear in Brawl, but some are pretty fun prospects.

From the original arcade Punch-Out!!:

Kid Quick

Quite possibly the most boring Punch-Out!! character ever. There's a good reason why he never appeared again. Next!

Pizza Pasta

Quite possibly the second most boring Punch-Out!! character ever, also winner of stupidest name. There's a good reason why he never appeared again. NEXT!

From Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!:

Glass Joe

Also known as the worst boxer in the history of existence, this guy barely threw a punch during your fight. Could make a good joke character, but nah.

Von Kaiser

German guy with mustache, doesn't really do anything particularly interesting.

Piston Honda

You fight this guy twice during the game, giving him a bit more respect. However, he tried to bribe Referee Mario, and cheaters don't get to appear in major Wii titles.

Don Flamenco

This Spanish guy enjoys dancing around and thinking he's pretty. Sukapon and the Ouendan guys have better moves, though.

King Hippo

Devoted thread is found here

Great Tiger

This one of the more interesting characters, as he has the magical ability to teleport around the ring. He appeared in both the NES game and the arcade Super Punch-Out!!, so he appears to be a bit more favored.

Soda Popinski/Vodka Drunkinski

In the Super Punch-Out!! arcade game, he was a Russian alchoholic. In the NES game, he was made a Russian carbonated drinkaholic so that kids don't get the idea that Vodka makes you good a punching people. One of the more memorable characters, but not much different in the way of fighting techs.

Bald Bull

Dedicated thread can be found here.

Mr.Sandman

Appeared in the original Arcade Punch-Out!!, the NES game, and the SNES game, making him one of the series mainstays. He focuses on hitting you hard and using powerful uppercuts. Not really anything wacky, but he could make a good bruiser. Plus, it would be awesome if he had his Super Punch-Out!! victory taunt.

Super Macho Man

Another major character in the series, appearing in the arcade Super Punch-Out!!, NES, and SNES games. This guy is obsessed with working out and keeping a good figure, but still has some of the most deadly techniques in the game. He also makes an incredibly disturbing noise when he flexes. Probably the best of the bunch when it comes to Smash Bros. possibilities.

Mr.Dream

Basically a replacement for Mike Tyson in the re-release of the NES title, he's a tough opponent, but doesn't have much in the way of personality.

icymatt

Smash Lord
From Super Punch-Out!:

Gabby Jay

This pathetic old Frenchman is basically Glass Joe 2.0, albeit his only victory is against Glass Joe, so that makes him slightly better. Even as a 'joke' character, he'd be more sad than funny.

Bear Hugger

Dedicated thread is found here.

Piston Hurricane

Dear lord, it took me so long to beat this guy when I was a kid. A holdover from the original arcade Punch-Out!!, this Cuban warrior boasts a continuous punching attack that while easier to handle than some other attacks, is still one of the most annoying attacks in the game.

Bob Charlie

Pretty weak overall fighter, and he keeps asking you the same question: Who? Who? WHO WHAT?!? Although, celebrity parody is pretty cool...

Dragon Chan

This is the only one of these guys who was mentioned on Sakurai's mailbag site, and he appeared in both Super Punch-Out!!s. Being a Kung-Fu action star at heart, he doesn't feel the need to devote all his time to using fists, but uses a variety of flying kick attacks that can send you flying in a single blow. Plus, more celebrity parody!

Masked Muscle

Continuing the trend of people boxing who probably shouldn't be boxing, Luchadore Masked Muscle also has a few tricks up his sleeves, mainly the ability(and nerve) to spit in your face and blind you for a few seconds while he tries to use his killer headbutt. Even so, he's not one of the more memorable Punch-Out!! guys for whatever reason.

Aran Ryan

Essentially Piston Hurricane with an Irish twist, he uses that annoying Hurrican punch TWICE IN A ROW! He also reacts to your super punches by getting low and sucking your energy. Considering the position he assumes during this, I don't want to know how he does it.

Heike Kagero

The girly, Kabuki-esque fighter ain't the toughest guy, but his hair packs a mean punch. Plus, taking after Great Tiger, he decides he can teleport around and attack randomly. He might be worth it in Smash just so you taunt people with his incredibly annoying laugh.

Mad Clown

A color swap of Bear Hugger, he uses the same bashing attacks, but also introduces his own nefarious technique: juggling and throwing balls at your! Clowns sure are jerks.

Narcis Princes

This pretty-boy doesn't like it when you punch his face, so he blocks most upper blows until you get him reeling from body punches. Once he's been knocked in the face once, he goes nuts. Not particularly interesting attacks-wise, though.

Hoy Quarlow

Here's a character they could definetly have some fun with. He's your basic very old Chinese master of martial arts, and he has tons of moves in his arsenal: smacking you with his staff, a few Dragon Chan-esque leaping kicks, and a deadly backhand slap.

Rick Bruiser

A big beatstick with several powerful punching attacks and an the ability to freeze you in place with an earthquake. The only one cheaper than this guy is his brother.

Nick Bruiser

He has never lost a match. This guy hardly flinches when you punch him. Many of his attacks do damage even when blocked. When the match starts, he doesn't even feel the need to rush to the middle of the ring. When you get knocked out, he SALUTES you. Nick Bruiser is an absolute monster, and a real challenge to beat(I've only done it once, and that day was a great day for me.) I'd actually like to see him implemented in a Smash Bros. game someday, he'd be so rad.

So, do any of Little Mac's/SNES-guy-who-is-not-Little Mac-despite-what-EA-says' opponents look cool to anyone else?

GenG

Smash Lord
Bald Bull is the second choice when it comes to Punch Out, so I support him (he made a cameo appareance in Arm Wrestling too).

bbb

Smash Champion
Bald Bull all the way.

Also note the Punch Out! series ability to stereo type and get away with it.

SideEffect001

Smash Lord
Hmm, I say just go with little mac! These characters arent really known to many people.

Don't get me wrong I have played all the punch out games and would love to see all of these characters in if it was possible but its highly doubtful. Oh and Nick Bruiser is easy to beat ;)

parrothead

Smash Lord
The reason why most people want Bald Bull is because he appeared in more Punch-Out!! titles than any other boxer.

BIRDMAN22

Smash Journeyman
Good list Icymat

From Punch Out: Super Macho Man, Soda Popinski Bald Bull, and King Hippo.

From Super Punch Out: Nick Bruiser(yes, he was a monster) and Dragon Chan

Between the two: Nick Bruiser(seriously, he was hard), Soda Popinski, and Super Macho Man

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Hey, you put my King Hippo thread up! That's right fools, King Hippo is the thread that started "Punch-Out!! Day!"

Anyway, I figure that after Little Mac, Sakurai would probably out in King Hippo over Bald Bull, but their both pretty popular, but King Hippo is more, unique, than your generic muscley-man who's only real thing that's his own is the headbut.

Anyway, King hippo has something all other boxers don't have, the infamous "join the Nintendo fan club today!" line!

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Hmm, I say just go with little mac! These characters arent really known to many people.

Don't get me wrong I have played all the punch out games and would love to see all of these characters in if it was possible but its highly doubtful. Oh and Nick Bruiser is easy to beat ;)
Did you have gameshark or gamegenie that made your punches one hit KO's or something? King Hippo has my undying support above anyother Punch-Out character, and before many other characters I support (YES! That includes shyGuy and the Laughing Dog from duck Hunt!)

Soodey

Smash Apprentice
Little Mac, King Hippo, Bald Bull

In that order of likelyness to be in brawl

parrothead

Smash Lord
Don Flamingo looks similar to Tim Allen from Home Improvement. And what about a Game & Watch boxer from the Game & Watch handheld: Boxing (later rereleased as Punch-Out!!):

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
I'd be so psyched to see Little Mac, and naturally he'd need a rival or two. I've only played NES Punch-Out!!, so I'm gonna have to go with King Hippo and Piston Honda. Other than them, if we're going all-out, I guess I would say Don Flamenco and Soda Popinski. =)

Top Bottom