• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PSA: Holding attack/special doesn't affect Power Dunk's power and that's great

YaraNooki

Smash Rookie
A friendly reminder that Terry's down B, POWAA DAANKU, only has two variations: standard down-B (18%) and command input (20.1%). The amount of time that you hold the attack/special button does not affect Power Dunk at all. Compare this to Burning Knuckle and Crack Shoot, both of which have four variations: standard special (tap), standard special (hold), command input (tap), and command input (hold).

Why is this important? This means that you can use your attack button's negative edge to combo into command input Power Dunk without any damage loss. In other words, you can activate your Power Dunk finisher by rotating the command input and releasing the attack button instead of pressing it. Ryu and Ken can also use this technique, but doing so gives them a significantly weakened attack that lacks damage and knockback compared to their standard special (hold) variants. Consequently, you will almost never see them use negative edge intentionally. Since Power Dunk doesn't have this problem, we can hit confirm into it with easy, consistent inputs that work even in lag.

Consider Terry's two standard Power Dunk setups:
  1. Jab 1-3 + Power Dunk. Hold A to initiate the jab. Upon seeing the first hit connect, input the Power Dunk command input. Once you're done, release A. Power Dunk no matter what for a clean 27.3%.
  2. Down Air + Power Dunk (vs grounded). Run at your opponent and short hop down air, holding A. Tilt your stick into the bottom corner of the direction you're facing and release. Enjoy your 37.5%.
Negative edge won't make or break Terry and doesn't matter if you've been able to combo into command input Power Dunk the conventional way. However, using it significantly improved my consistency online and reduced my accidental Burning Knuckle inputs to almost zero. It's a privilege unique to Terry's Power Dunk, so take advantage of it if it helps.

Last edited:

Flowen231

Smash Apprentice
A friendly reminder that Terry's down B, POWAA DAANKU, only has two variations: standard down-B (18%) and command input (20.1%). The amount of time that you hold the attack/special button does not affect Power Dunk at all. Compare this to Burning Knuckle and Crack Shoot, both of which have four variations: standard special (tap), standard special (hold), command input (tap), and command input (hold).
Why is this important? This means that you can use your attack button's negative edge to combo into command input Power Dunk without any damage loss. In other words, you can activate your Power Dunk finisher by rotating the command input and releasing the attack button instead of pressing it. Ryu and Ken can also use this technique, but doing so gives them a significantly weakened attack that lacks damage and knockback compared to their standard special (hold) variants. Consequently, you will almost never see them use negative edge intentionally. Since Power Dunk doesn't have this problem, we can hit confirm into it with easy, consistent inputs that work even in lag.
Consider Terry's two standard Power Dunk setups:
  1. Jab 1-3 + Power Dunk. Hold A to initiate the jab. Upon seeing the first hit connect, input the Power Dunk command input. Once you're done, release A. Power Dunk no matter what for a clean 27.3%.
  2. Down Air + Power Dunk (vs grounded). Run at your and short hop down air, holding A. Tilt your stick into the bottom corner of the direction you're facing and release. Enjoy your 37.5%.
Negative edge won't make or break Terry and doesn't matter if you've been able to combo into command input Power Dunk the conventional way. However, using it significantly improved my consistency online and reduced my accidental Burning Knuckle inputs to almost zero. It's a privilege unique to Terry's Power Dunk, so take advantage of it if it helps.
While we're on the topic of power dunk, can people fall out of the short one the same way they fall out of the hold version?

YaraNooki

Smash Rookie
While we're on the topic of power dunk, can people fall out of the short one the same way they fall out of the hold version?
I believe so. The two multi-hits of the standard Power Dunk do 3.6% while the multihits of the command input version do 4.3%, but both seem to have same knockback and trajectory. Whether or not opponents fall out off the move in the air seems more dependent on their position and momentum before getting hit rather than on which PD input you use.

Personally, I prefer using the regular command input rather than the negative edge version when using aerial Power Dunk, partially from muscle memory (down air + heavy Shoryuken confirm) and because I feel the extra aerial control from using the c-stick and move stick together helps me ensure that my PD follow up connects. However, my friend who has never played a shoto fighter before says that using negative edge in the air was better for him, so it may be a preference thing.

Last edited:

Flowen231

Smash Apprentice
I believe so. The two multi-hits of the standard Power Dunk do 3.6% while the multihits of the command input version do 4.3%, but both seem to have same knockback and trajectory. Whether or not opponents fall out off the move in the air seems more dependent on their position and momentum before getting hit rather than on which PD input you use.

Personally, I prefer using the regular command input rather than the negative edge version when using aerial Power Dunk, partially from muscle memory (down air + heavy Shoryuken confirm) and because I feel the extra aerial control from using the c-stick and move stick together helps me ensure that my PD follow up connects. However, my friend who has never played a shoto fighter before says that using negative edge in the air was better for him, so it may be a preference thing.
Theres a bit more to it than positioning. My friend started getting out of the combo consistently by di-ing towards and bellow terry with a tiny bit of SDI. When I say consistently I mean 4/5 times and he did it with toon link, roy, and gannon. In his words; It's difficult to do because reacting to jab and sdi-ing is hard but it's possible.

I was hoping that tap PD didn't have the issue since it goes lower but I'll do a bit more testing XD. Till then though it's more charge up B for me.

YaraNooki

Smash Rookie
Let me know what you find. I test everything with CPU shuffling set on high, but that probably can’t compare to an actual person SDIing in the right direction at the right time. Would be nice to know if the height difference has an impact.
Theres a bit more to it than positioning. My friend started getting out of the combo consistently by di-ing towards and bellow terry with a tiny bit of SDI. When I say consistently I mean 4/5 times and he did it with toon link, roy, and gannon. In his words; It's difficult to do because reacting to jab and sdi-ing is hard but it's possible.

I was hoping that tap PD didn't have the issue since it goes lower but I'll do a bit more testing XD. Till then though it's more charge up B for me.

Flowen231

Smash Apprentice
Let me know what you find. I test everything with CPU shuffling set on high, but that probably can’t compare to an actual person SDIing in the right direction at the right time. Would be nice to know if the height difference has an impact.
Finally got around to testing. And regretfully, it is just as easy to DI the short version to escape. This is still a great tool to mixup with true rising tackle, and people on elite smash typically don't know how to escape it so it has uses though.

Top Bottom