• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pro's, Con's Counterpicking Stages

Help!

Smash Journeyman
Updates
April 7, 08 - Posted and already edited with a bit of actual testing instead of thinking

Stage Counter Picks
I don't know how well we can figure this out right at the moment, but we can at least get it started. I've noticed a few things a few stages and I havn't been playing brawl that much so correct me if I'm wrong and add your own, we'll start building a list starting now.
I'll update whenever I feel like it. This looks a lot like Eggz's melee one cept not as pretty, but I like his structure.

+ = pro's
- = con's
* = not sure someone test or correct me
^ = misc's

Nuetrals

BattleField
+ Sh aerials underneath platforms leave you relativily safe
+ Double uair underneath bottom platforms
+ No horrible disadvantage from what I've noticed
+ Platforms allow for easier 'combos' with uair and such
-* Wolf might be able to camp better on this stage although i havnt played too many wolfs, but the platforms kinda limit fullhoped
fireball approaches (only played one wolf online with lag, but that's what it seems like.
- Characters with range or vertical range have an advantage on this stage (eg. Marth, Zelda)
^ Edges allows you drop down wall jump and do something fancy like bairs or reverse uairs

Seems pretty neutral to me I always counterpick it cause I'm the most comfortable on this stage.

Final Destination
+ You can spam easier with the lack of platforms getting in the way
- Edges worst than Battlefield (melee)
^* I'm pretty sure you can do that wall jump trick on FD although it's harder I think you can at least I already forgot

Seems pretty neutral, but I dont counterpick it becuase the edges suck.

Yoshi's Island
+ Short blast lines for Mario not having the greatest KO moves although they're not bad now.
-* Platform slants making it harder to strike from below if raised and maybe even in the middle. (I really don't know I'm too sh happy and dont full hop all to much.)
- Short blast lines
-* Range Characters can probably still abuse the platform
- When the platform is slanted it can ruin the fireballs
- One big platform in the middle limits the fireballs to only sh fireballs pretty much
I havn't noticed anything too bad about this stage, but I really don't know. Mario might be at a disadvantage it seems at least but I can't say for sure. Actually I don't like the big platform

Smashville
+ Can be pretty spam happy with the moving platform not being in the way so much
+* I don't remember too well but pretty safe underneath platform game?
+* Moving platform can allow for an easier edgegaurding game?
+ Edges allow for easier sweet spotting (like it wasn't easy enough)
+* Moving platform makes it a safer platform to be on against ranged characters? (although I'm sure if theyre good enough it wont effect them)
+* Moving platform allows it to get around Wolf's Laser spam better?
^* Probably the ledge wall hop trick again
-Moving platform allows for easier edgegaurding

*You know what this might possibly be Mario's best counterpick, now that I think about it... Needs to be figured out by someone smarter or better than me.

Lylat Cruise
+ Pretty sure there's still a safe underneath platform game (It'd be cool if I played this game more or recently... hahah cause I'm not sure on a lot of this stuff...)
+ Alright this is the best thing I found so far. Lasers get blocked by the stage when tilted giving you the upper hand if you can position yourself right.
+ Platforms are pretty short allowing for a trickier fireball game
-Range characters seem to have the upper hand on this stage with tilted platforms and such.
-Edges can be easy to hang up on, specially with tilting and stuff.
^ Background's pretty cool to look at
Counter pick versus Wolf to avoid a lot of laser spamming and a tougher recovery for him. You can cape him even if he's going vertical i think he still goes under the stage.

Seems pretty nuetral maybe not versus ranged characters but i dont really know

Counter-Picks

Fridgate Ophean
+ The Flip is pretty **** cool although it could mess you up pretty bad as in a lost of stock
+ Oh actually the flip back to the original state of the level could mess up tether recoveries cause of the lack of an edge on the right side
+ Even better Lack of edge on the right side messes up tether recoveries pretty good
-No Edge on the right side before the flip I think that sucks

Alright there's my list of Neutrals anyone feel free to correct or add on to this list be it to these stages or to other stages that are counterpicks, what characters you should counterpick what stage or whatever and other stuff.

I did this really quick btw it might be garbage.
I also have this posted at Aib which I use more, but I'll try to bounce around the two sites and keep this updated too.

Anyways...

Hope this Helps! (Omfg pun!!!!)

Help!

Smash Journeyman
Lol thanks it'd be much appreciated. I just put this together real quick, but I did do a bit of testing and updated it already although it was only a few changes.

Top Bottom