• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Properties of the cape as a recovery tool.

shadydentist

Smash Lord
I hope this isn't repeated. I searched through the forum and found nothing.

On the Marth Forums, Shai Hulud posted a very informative article about how much of a boost his Sword Dance gives you. Well, I was messing around with mario, and I noticed that everything also applies to the cape. So, basically in the passage below, replace Marth with Mario, and enjoy.

Originally posted by Shai Hulud:

As you all should know, Marth can use the first move of his forward B combo as a kind of pseudo-jump, which has two obvious applications: the first, to gain horizontal distance when recovering; and the second, to slow Marth's fall, on stage, for pacing purposes.

Sometimes, though, when you use forward B you fall, and don't get the pseudojump. I thought initially that you get one floaty forward B per jump, but it's actually more complicated than that.

On a given jump, forward B will give you a pseudojump under "normal circumstances." What do I mean by that? Well, apparently in regards to forward B, a "jump cycle" is the time from when you leave the ground to the time you land ON THE STAGE, on your feet, from the falling animation. In other words, if you jump, forward B, and fast fall an L-cancelled aerial, for instance (something I do quite often), the game engine does not consider the "jump cycle" to have ended, because you are landing during an aerial animation and not from the falling animation. The consequences of this are that the next time you jump, you will not have a floaty forward B, but will fall instead.

So, basically, you lose your forward B for the following jump under the following circumstances, assuming you have jumped and used a forward B:

• Edgehogging--i.e., if you ledgehop you will no longer have a floaty forward B
  • Landing during any kind of attack animation, whether an aerial, neutral B, or counter
  • Getting hit and teching the hit, on the stage or off
  • Getting hit and flubbing the tech
This little-known aspect is significant because it doesn't matter how long it's been since you performed whatever action that lost your subsequent floaty forward B--you still won't have it on your next jump. You can dash dance around for five minutes, use ground attacks, throws, etc., and it doesn't matter. With respect to the forward B the "jump cycle" has not completed and you do not get a new pseudojump.

Luckily, there's a simple solution to this dilemma--whenever you perform an action that would kill your next floaty forward B, all you have to do is finish the "jump cycle." You can do this by jumping and landing on the stage, irrespective of what happens during that jump, so long as you land ON YOUR FEET, ON THE STAGE, and from the falling animation. This means you can WAVEDASH to complete a "jump cycle" but you CANNOT run around SHFFLING aerials. This also means if you are attacked with anything that causes your feet to leave the ground, the jump cycle will finish when you next land. Being grabbed or thrown will NOT, however, end the jump cycle, even if you land on your feet.

A lot of you are going to think this is pointlessly obscure information, but I just wanted to put it out there, because it really is important, especially if you use this move frequently for mindgames and pacing. I've died countless times trying to ledge-hop attacks off the stage, unaware that I'd lost my recovery tool until it was too late

technomancer

Smash Champion
Good to know, but Mario's have been on top of this for a good while. Still, thanks, and now there is a thread so people can find it when they search :)

Also lol wtf at the above post.

A_mArIo

Smash Cadet
haha bout time this got a reply... and to stay on topic this has been known since the begginning of time (or a relly long long while).

zelazon

Smash Apprentice
The cape signifies a noob mario from a pro mario. It's sad when you see a mario who gets shot by samus charged beam out in the open when there was a perfect opporitunity to use the cape. The cape is one of the most important moves that mario has.

also this reminds me of time when I do the whirlwind recovery and land but when I get combo'ed at high percentages, I use the whirlwind again, and it goes down... cause you cant go up twice while in the air.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
The cape signifies a noob mario from a pro mario. It's sad when you see a mario who gets shot by samus charged beam out in the open when there was a perfect opporitunity to use the cape. The cape is one of the most important moves that mario has.

also this reminds me of time when I do the whirlwind recovery and land but when I get combo'ed at high percentages, I use the whirlwind again, and it goes down... cause you cant go up twice while in the air.
I like the fact that he completely mentioned the only n00b thing that people notice right away haha. The cape has so many other capabilities at least you managed to mention how important it is.

man i didnt even expected that it were a recovery tool man.. THANKS
Hey at least we helped someone out with this thread :chuckle:

Top Bottom