• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Proper usage of wavedashing

paxinchristo

Smash Ace
So I've been a casual Luigi main for quite a few years, but it's only recently that I started to play him seriously. I used to play Brawl for the most part, but after discovering the competitive Smash scene and finding out just how faulty of a game Brawl is (at least at a competitive level), I decided to pick up Project M (no access to Melee) and I haven't really turned back since.

All this to say, I've been watching the top Luigi players (Abate, Vist, etc) and seeing the amount of wavedashing that they do somewhat discourages me as I have difficulties with that technique. Is spamming Luigi's wavedash absolutely essential as a Luigi main? Or should it be used more in moderation?

As a side question, what is the best button setup for wavedashing with Luigi? At this point I've been sticking to the default setup (L and R = shield, Z = Grab, Y = Jump), but I know that there are other setups out there.

ThegreatVaporeon1

Smash Ace
Luigi's wavedash is absolutely essential for a Luigi main, as it is the best in the game and can be used to cover long distances, allowing him to approach easier and set up combos. Just practice and you'll get it

And that button setup is fine.

Last edited:

Ajj487

Smash Rookie
Luigi's Wavedash is incredibly essential, it's almost always faster than dashing, puts him into many crazy situations, easy escape from enemies, and it is why Luigi is know for being incredibly 'Slippery' because he slips and slides across the stage. Also, if you work it hard enough, His recovery becomes insane (down special flying :3). In short, Luigi's Wavedash, plus his recovery can make him a very dangerous foe.

Hope this helps :D (I'm still personally learning PM and Melee Luigi, so if you have any more questions, Hit me up :3)

ThegreatVaporeon1

Smash Ace
Luigi's Wavedash is incredibly essential, it's almost always faster than dashing, puts him into many crazy situations, easy escape from enemies, and it is why Luigi is know for being incredibly 'Slippery' because he slips and slides across the stage. Also, if you work it hard enough, His recovery becomes insane (down special flying :3). In short, Luigi's Wavedash, plus his recovery can make him a very dangerous foe.

Hope this helps :D (I'm still personally learning PM and Melee Luigi, so if you have any more questions, Hit me up :3)
His recovery is really bad in melee, and in PM its decent but easily punishable

Broasty

Smash Journeyman
If you want to play offensive (such as approaching the opponent, tech chasing, and stringing combos) then Wave Dashing with Luigi is a must. It's basically how you move with him on ground because otherwise he's rather slow.

As far as button setup, I personally have No Tap Jump, and Jump for R. What ever works for you, really.

paxinchristo

Smash Ace
If you want to play offensive (such as approaching the opponent, tech chasing, and stringing combos) then Wave Dashing with Luigi is a must. It's basically how you move with him on ground because otherwise he's rather slow.

As far as button setup, I personally have No Tap Jump, and Jump for R. What ever works for you, really.
What's No Tap Jump?

Broasty

Smash Journeyman
Sorry for the local lingo; I mean turning off the "Press Up to jump".

Also, just a heads up...the road to winning in higher level matches with Luigi is a long one...No other character requires such technical ability to move around the map. Most characters have it as easy as Press Left to move left and how far is based off how long you hold the stick...you're going to move based off WDing Short or Long (the angle you use on the stick when WDing is important) and whether or not you cancel it early with a step backwards or decide to pivot (tilt with stick in desired direction). For a very long time, you'll be thinking so much about execution that you won't be able to see the big picture (Spacing and being unpredictable).

TL:DR If you want to play Luigi competitively, you better master WDing.

Last edited:

Boomer3d

Smash Journeyman
Just go on training mode, choose battlefield, and wavedash as much as you can. Try to go across the floor, jump and waveland(wavedash down to the ground when you are about to land) on platforms, forwards and backwards, and try moves out of wavedash(such as f-tilt, d-smash, and f-smash). Also for tapjump wise, you have probably played with it on and you are used to it so keep it on. It is also nice to have on because, after a tornado, just hold up and you jump out of it pretty quick. Lastly, once you feel comfortable wavedashing try wavelanding fireballs. the timing is really tight, hit b immediately out of a short hop and then time the waveland, it takes to practice to get the hang of it but it is easy from there. Lastly, if you want to get used to his combos, just try beating mewtwo up in practice mode, he is one of the easier characters to combo and can help get the feel down. If you have any questions just ask.

paxinchristo

Smash Ace
Thanks for the advice, Boomer3d!

I guess it's important to note, I only play PM (hence this post being in the PM discussion boards), but I would love to pick up Melee if I ever got my hands on a Melee disk.

Is wavedashing with Weegee any different in Melee than it is in PM?

Verda Stelo

Smash Apprentice
I'm a Melee player who lurks these boards. PM's engine is different than Melee's, and wavedashing feels markedly different to me. Luigi's traction is also much lower in Melee so he moves more like he's on an air hockey table rather than magnetized to the stage.

Top Bottom