• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Proper DI against Link

Scoot

Smash Cadet
I was curious as to what the proper DI against Link was, more so I keep getting trapped in his Downthrow to Spin combo and it really gets difficult for me to get out of.

Never really played against link before in PM so I'm not entirely sure.

Is it based mainly on weight or percents? When playing against link I felt like I had tried all possible DI options to get away from his Dthrow Spin combo but I kept getting caught.

General Lucas vs. Link tips are appreciated too

Last edited:

D e l t a

That one guy who does the thing with a camera.
I was curious as to what the proper DI against Link was.

Is it based mainly on weight or percents?

General Lucas vs. Link tips are appreciated too
I'll lab this later. For now, just DI up and the opposite direction of the closest blast zone and it shouldn't kill until over 120% on most stages. Link players should be using Dair out of Dthrow bc it kills around 10-20% earlier. It sucks that Lucas is both a fast taller and a lightweight.

Throws are based on fall speed. Certain throws like Marth Fthrow and Ganon & Links Dthrow have little knockback growth (KBG). This means that you get sent approximately the same distance at 0% as you will at 100%. Higher KBG such as Lucas' up throw means the opponent will get launched farther the more damage they take.

==

Matchup stuff

Against link, it's tricky in neutral. If they start to wall you out, make sure your shield game is on point. Lucas' Fair sometimes can go thru the boomerangs, but loses to bombs and arrows. PKF is a bit too slow of startup & end lag at times and gets beat by arrows and collides with bombs n rangs. Bombs can be insta-AGT'd or shielded. Arrows are somewhat easy to avoid and follow a low curved trajectory.

Keep track of their projectile pattern. Some like to pull a bomb then throw arrows and rangs, while others like to set up with a rang first. Rarely do Links play aggressive / heavy use of Nair & normals (E2xD is the only Link that does this).

Once you get in, Link has poor escape options without a bomb in hand. His UpB OoS takes about 10 frames of startup which can be either baited or avoided outright. Upsmash OoS is even slower and doesn't hit behind him for a few frames after startup. Bair hit 1 & Nair are quick with tiny disjoint and knockback. His tether grab is also bad OoS. Proper pressure can destroy link terribly.

Juggle him for days & send him offstage quickly. Stay under him just outside of his Dair range, but close enough that he can't pull a bomb / throw a boomerang midair without being punished. His tether isn't that great and his UpB can be ledge guarded easily with invincible Bairs at the ledge. One spike and he should be dead most times.

==

tl;dr This MU is all about beating Link in neutral, specifically his projectiles & Nair, while having a proficient punish game that can take stocks efficiently. You'll want to always do your best to stay on Link so he doesn't get time to set up a zone. Always send him off-stage or put him in the air the best you can.

Last edited:
Top Bottom