• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M's Load Times

Zeldastriker

Smash Apprentice
How does Project M load so much faster than vBrawl/other mods? Is it a code of some sort, or a modified file somewhere? I'd really like to know how this was accomplished so I can use it elsewhere.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Our common5.pac file is much more efficient than Brawl's, and that's mostly what's being loaded at startup.

Zeldastriker

Smash Apprentice
OK, thanks a lot for the info. Could you be more specific? If it's a hassle, don't worry about it--I'm just curious as to what exactly is more efficient about it, but I understand if it's too much work to explain everything.

Last edited:

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Empty out common5.pac, and two other common.pac files (can't think exactly which ones right now, I think it's 1 and 4 - whichever ones have the FitFighterMotionEtc stuff), and use the files in the /menu2/ folder instead for sc_selcharacter.pac, sc_selmap.pac, and sc_selmap2.pac (export them out of common5.pac first, so you don't lose the data).

if I remember correctly, default PM doesn't do the empty common5.pac though - any reason for this?

Last edited:

Zeldastriker

Smash Apprentice
Oh, thanks for the info. If it's that easy, it makes me wonder why Nintendo left a 10-second load screen in the game.

Kaeldiar

Smash Ace
Oh, thanks for the info. If it's that easy, it makes me wonder why Nintendo left a 10-second load screen in the game.
Likely because they were focused on fixing other things when creating Brawl. Optimizing load times probably wasn't the biggest problem in their rush to meet the deadline

Top Bottom