• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project: M3.6(1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
Basically I want to discuss an opinion regarding 3.6 vs 3.61 post-PMDT.

I think at this point in the game's life it's probably a blessing that we can finally sit down and iron out the intricacies of this game and know that 6 months down the road all of our hard work will have been well-spent. Updates certainly weren't a bad thing; they allowed the game to move closer towards a more ideal "perfect" state. Project: M in its final iteration is a very good game with great balance to boot. However, I think as a community it would be better for us to come to an agreement about this.

3.6 does have its flaws though, and as a community I don't think it's a good idea for us to do vigilante bug fixes for tournament use as it creates a disconnect between each individual version and there is no unifying authority to decide on what gets fixed and how. 3.61 as I've noticed was a completely finished version of the game set for release and everything. I assume that the release was just around the corner when the dev team closed up shop. This being said, the questions of legitimacy of the version shouldn't be an issue; it is/was to be an officially sanctioned version of the game that fixes a set number of issues according to the wishes of the dev team.

There is expected controversy over whether or not adopting this version of the game for tournament play would split the community, but I would like to think that's not the case at all. 3.61 was a very small update consisting almost entirely of bug fixes and the dev team clearly made an effort not to tamper with the current balance of the game. As such, even those who don't go out of their way to get 3.61 and stick to 3.6 for practice will not be thrown out of the loop randomly for doing so; practice in 3.6 100% applies to 3.61 as well. 3.61 is simply a more finished and polished version of the game. Furthermore, with the deletion of P:M's download page, 3.61 is roughly as easy to obtain as standard 3.6 is, so I don't think that should be an issue either.

I also believe that using the version of the game with the bug fixes would be better for the longevity of the game. From a Link player's standpoint, playing a game where my character's grab and Usmash are broken simply isn't something I wish to do. These were clearly unintentional consequences of other changes that were to be addressed in future updates that unfortunately never got released. The same goes for a couple other characters like Pit who effectively had a broken Usmash as well but had it addressed as a bug fix. In the end these little problems that never got to be fixed make the game feel just that little bit more incomplete, and I would be much more content settling with 3.61 as a final version than I would 3.6. I know we've been playing Melee accepting flaws like these for a decade and a half, but Project: M has always represented the potential for things like that to be fixed. For this reason I think we should embrace the last fixes of the game and move forward as a community from there.

Of all of the counter-arguments I've yet heard, the only one that really came across as relevant is the risk to the PMDT should the community decide to stick with any leaked version of the game. If this is truly a risk, then I think it's something legitimate to consider and that would be the only thing that would sway my opinion. However, I don't think Nintendo would bring the hammer down on them after they've clearly stopped development of the game, nor do I think a few minor bug fixes to a game that clearly still exists is going to offend them. They would have to be extremely vindictive to even bother to notice. But I could be naive. I just want to spread this idea around and try to make this happen, because honestly I do not want to play 3.6 anymore. 3.61 is what I would like to stick with for my career in this game, and I would like to get others to support it as well. Thoughts?

Maybe people will actually be able to contribute some actual rhetoric this time ^_^ I'm not trying to start a controversy by the way. Just a little discussion.

Last edited:

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
From what I've seen, it seems like most people would be okay with switching to 3.61 so long as the rest of us did the same. This would require a lot of organization, planning and advertising to make sure the switch is as seamless as possible. TO's are the ones that need to make the first move, then sites where the PM community frequents (SB, Anther's, reddit, FB groups, etc.) would need to facilitate distribution and discussion of 3.61, which would lead to more players playing the new version. I think this is very possible, it's really up to certain people taking action.

KinGly

Smash Journeyman
I think most people would prefer to switch to 3.61, but are waiting for a national to do so first.

Otherwise there would likely be a large group of players playing each version, which isn't good for anyone.

I'd love to switch to 3.61, I've got it installed and ready to go, but I'd rather have confirmation that everyone is switching before I jump ship as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom