• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Play Button Issue

H4RM0NY

Smash Rookie
Hello. I have been playing competitive Sm4sh for about a year now, but wanted to get into Project M. So I went to GameStop, bought a used copy of Brawl, a 2GB SD Card, and an official nintendo GC controller. I went home and put the game into my Wii. it took a few times of trying, as it wasn't in perfect condition, but Brawl worked eventually. I then deleted all of the stages and put PM on my SD card. It worked when I got to stage builder, but as soon as I hit the Play button, the screen went black and took me back to the Wii menu. I tried this multiple times, and of course every time it does the same thing. But, it strangely runs PERFECTLY on my Wii U. So, I've been stuck learning how to Wavedash, L-Cancel, and Dashdance on a Wii Remote and Nunchuck, which isn't Ideal to say the least. So I was wondering if anyone has had the same problem, and/or knows how to fix it.

Thank you!

EDIT: Also, it is the backless 3.6 version.
YET ANOTHER EDIT: It is not a PAL Wii. And not a PAL Brawl disc, as it works on my Wii U.

Last edited:

person66

Smash Cadet
The fact that it took a few times of trying, and that the disc isn't in perfect condition makes me think that the wii isn't able to read some files properly or something, as the project m launcher will kick you back to the homescreen if brawl isn't in the drive or can't be read properly. The Wii U probably has a better sensor (it uses blu ray, and its newer), so it doesn't have as much trouble, which would be why it loads fine there.

Couple things you could try. First, you could replace the boot.elf on the root of the sd card (this is the Project M launcher) with Gecko OS (download the zip on the right-hand side of the page, then extract the boot.elf from zip:/Gecko1931/Gecko1931/HBC/Gecko1931/boot.elf to the root of your sd card, overwriting the Project M launcher. Now when you do the stage builder exploit it should launch Gecko instead. Once it does just try to launch the game. Even if it still doesn't load, it will at least give you a little more insight into whats going on, as it prints out statuses.

Second option is you could hack your wii and load brawl from USB instead of the disc. Just make sure you have the project m files on the sd card, then when you load the game with whatever USB loader, just enable ocarina codes and Project M should load instead of Brawl. If you haven't hacked a wii before its actually super easy. You can just replace the boot.elf with the homebrew channel installer, which will let you install the homebrew channel, and after that its pretty straightforward. Look up ModMii on GBATemp if you're interested.

Last edited:

H4RM0NY

Smash Rookie
It worked!!! You, my good friend, have improved my life, even if by just a little.
:GCU::GCU::GCD::GCD::GCL::GCR::GCL::GCR::GCB::GCA::GCStart:

Top Bottom