• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M noob

Joeclone Imaginator

Smash Rookie
I just got Project M through that mirror download thing. I'm liking it so far. Main reason I got it was because I don't have a Wii U or Smash 4. With Project M I can get a feel for Mewtwo and Roy before I get the Wii U game. I know you may be thinking "what is this guy talking about? this is old news!" Yes, it is, but I am a latecomer to new games. Anyway, to anyone still playing PM, how do you like it? What character do you main? Any tips? What mods would you recommend to make it even better? Love to hear some thoughts and stories.

Rpggames77

Smash Journeyman
As for mewtwo and roy feeling similar compared to there wii u counterparts, I would say they don't, but that's my opinion. What would like as for tips? like characters, match ups, etc? Ridley mod is fun and there are some good ones on the way(bagan and kjp have some great ones).

Joeclone Imaginator

Smash Rookie
As for mewtwo and roy feeling similar compared to there wii u counterparts, I would say they don't, but that's my opinion. What would like as for tips? like characters, match ups, etc? Ridley mod is fun and there are some good ones on the way(bagan and kjp have some great ones).
Any tips at all, really. Like the name of this thread says, I'm 100% noob.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
they play very very differently, though.

and roy actually has some quite different moves between the two versions. like, quite a few. sm4sh gave him a rather thorough redesign in that regard.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
How? All his moves are the same. I don't get into the details like how much damage or knockback they do.
Well, for starters, Mewtwo can hover, think Peach float but in any direction, and can act out of teleport if he hasn't used his double jump or hover. Which he can't do in Smash 4. That alone causes a huge disparity in playstyle. Mewtwo in 4 also runs a lot faster the PM M2 and PM M2 has access to wavedashing. PM M2 is able to DJC and 4 isn't able to, which causes another big disparity.

They're moves may look simillar to one anothers but only a handful of them serve simillar functions.

They just conpletely diffetent characters from one another.

Last edited:

Joeclone Imaginator

Smash Rookie
Well, for starters, Mewtwo can hover, think Peach float but in any direction, and can act out of teleport if he hasn't used his double jump or hover. Which he can't do in Smash 4. That alone causes a huge disparity in playstyle. Mewtwo in 4 also runs a lot faster the PM M2 and PM M2 has access to wavedashing. PM M2 is able to DJC and 4 isn't able to, which causes another big disparity.

They're moves may look simillar to one anothers but only a handful of them serve simillar functions.

They just conpletely diffetent characters from one another.
Okay that's good to know. This is my first time hearing the term DJC, but I knew about wavedashing. Just never learned how to do it properly.

DeKu Skrub

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShadixREBORN
3DS FC
1650-2649-2219
Switch FC
SW-1122-3127-2057
Oh yeah, M2s side special has different effects when used as a command grab. Instead of just flipping your opponent in a circle, doing 11 damage, and dropping them, PM M2s side special forces them up, then down, and launches his foe, acting as a viable kill move. Also, Roy's side special in the air gives him horizontal momentum and has completely different 3rd and 4th slashes.

Last edited:

DeKu Skrub

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShadixREBORN
3DS FC
1650-2649-2219
Switch FC
SW-1122-3127-2057
M2 can also act with an aerial attack from his grounded up B or in the air if you haven't used his double jump. His D Smash (at least in 3.6) has a lingering hitbox. Roy has a different B air that's stronger but doesn't come up all the way up. His U tilt starts from behind and goes over him to his front. His S tilt is an angleable poke, his N air and D smash are a complete spin around him.
I mained a lot of characters in PM, mainly Kirby, Mario, and Mewtwo.

Last edited:

LIVERPOOP

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MartinSkrtel37
3DS FC
0130-1906-5039
please don't play PM thinking it'll help you when you get smash 4. it doesn't work like that! you should just play PM as it's better! i know americans especially are all upitty about how better is subjective and all that crap but seriously PM is the best okay

DeKu Skrub

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShadixREBORN
3DS FC
1650-2649-2219
Switch FC
SW-1122-3127-2057
I love PM as much as the next guy, but get the bias out of here. Take your Sm4sh disrespect somewhere else please. I don't think people want their already set opinions reset because of bias. :/

LIVERPOOP

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MartinSkrtel37
3DS FC
0130-1906-5039
I love PM as much as the next guy, but get the bias out of here. Take your Sm4sh disrespect somewhere else please. I don't think people want their already set opinions reset because of bias. :/
people are like robots with "set opinions" that get "reset" after reading a sentence? news to me...

no disrespect, i love and play smash 4 and have since it came out on 3DS. i already put a disclaimer to the ultra PC crowd that for some reason arc up at the first sign of someone telling someone that something is better or worse than anything else. all i said was the truth - if you want to play a game then playing a different one, specifically smash and it's different character iterations, doesn't help too much, in fact many will tell you it HINDERS you. this isn't going from double dash to mario kart 8. PM has over a decade of melee meta development combined with a completely refined character list - smash 4 is one years old and has had a bunch of patches. i don't know why you'd pretend PM isn't more advanced in every way. it wont hurt anyones feelings to acknowledge this.

Last edited:

DeKu Skrub

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShadixREBORN
3DS FC
1650-2649-2219
Switch FC
SW-1122-3127-2057
Sorry If you haven't been paying attention over this year, but Smash 4 is building up a Meta Game that's rapidly growing and may even surpass Melee's
Also, sure Sm4sh had updates. So did PM. And they both won't be getting any more.

Last edited:

LIVERPOOP

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MartinSkrtel37
3DS FC
0130-1906-5039
Sorry If you haven't been paying attention over this year, but Smash 4 is building up a Meta Game that's rapidly growing and may even surpass Melee's
right, but it's still 9 years behind...

Last edited:

OwntheLoner

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0834-4506-8954
Another thing. PM Roy is altogether better than his Smash 4 counterpart. He has a superior nuetral due to being able to wavedash and dash-dance. Being able to L-cancel gives him better approach options and combo potential. His down-tilt, like Melee Roy's, pops the opponenet in the air for easy followups and is a good combo starter. Sm4sh Roy's d-tilt doesn't do that. I'm not saying that you shouldn't you shouldn't main :4feroy: when you get a Wii U, but if you do you might find him a bit lackluster compared to PM Roy.

Top Bottom