• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Evolution

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadoWPassoS

Smash Apprentice
We all know that project M is a mod to reproduce smash melee mechanics.

But why be limited by melee mechanics when you guys could evolve it ? brawl had core mechanics that were great, like:

the possibilty to grab the ledge backwards.

moving to more specific character mechanics:

Why not make marth's side-B good and fast like brawl ?

Why not give sheik's rope (side-B) the ability to grab the ledge like brawl ? and this other one i don't know if is a glitch, but why it takes soo long to change to zelda in the air ? Just to remember, Melee wasn't like that.

Why C.Falcon can't have better moves like C.Falcon from the N64 ? instead of just knee,knee, and knee all the time.

Give your opinions guys, what do you think that should be in or out of Project M ?

GMaster171

Smash Ace
well the backwards ledge grabbing was added to a bunch of recoveries (or they already had them), but in general its a silly mechanic that doesn't help much to have, nor hurt much to leave.

change directions before jumping... you mean RAR? that still works.

Both Marth and Shiek are already good enough, they don't really need these, as they would constitute unneeded buffs. The Zelda changing time is a Brawl thing thats not fixable iirc.

Falcon's moves arent good? arent they almost all the same as in 64, but better?

IMO its fine going as it is.

ShadoWPassoS

Smash Apprentice
The backwards grab gives you new possibilities to edge guard, run towards the ledge and fast fall, and instatly grab the ledge, is by far more effective than any other way that melee has.

The RAR is still in the game, my bad. loool

With C.Falcon i would change soo many things;

First, the 64 Smash foward (a "long" range kick).

The 64 Up smash.

The 64 Nair.

The 64 Uair proprieties (if that is even possible to reproduce without changing the core game mechanics)

No startup delay to his side-B.

heheh =P

DBSammy

Smash Ace
The backwards grab gives you new possibilities to edge guard, run towards the ledge and fast fall, and instatly grab the ledge, is by far more effective than any other way that melee has.
With C.Falcon i would change soo many things;

First, the 64 Smash foward (a "long" range kick).

The 64 Up smash.

The 64 Nair.

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
I am glad we can't grap the edge from behind. That is a silly mechanic. Marth's Side B was great but I don't think he needs it here. Buffing side b a bit I could get behind. Like making the second hit more consistent.

Revven

FrankerZ
There are things that simply do not work in the engine or characters are fine as they were in Melee (Sheik's recovery) and thus, any "marginal" change Brawl introduced gets axed because it's unnecessarily making a high/top tier better when they don't need to be better.

It also makes balancing harder.

I don't think any of the things the OP suggested would evolve Project M in any way and would in fact regress it. What would evolve the game are completely newly added mechanics, which is currently not in the scope of what the team (myself included) is aiming for. If I were to make a comparison to understand what I mean, I would say mechanics that would be on-par with what Melee added in comparison to Smash 64; such as being able to charge smash attacks, a new move across the board (Side B), defensive additions (spotdodge, air dodge), and so on. Mechanics add to the game, build upon it. Not just... bringing back old moves for veteran characters. Those fall into character balancing.

Bryonato

Green Hat
To be fair CF's nair as it stands right now is a great option in many situations and a very good move overall. Also I sort of already feel PM is a true "evolved melee" with RAR, wavebouncing, footstooling, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom