• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Custom Servers Idea

pokemongeof

Smash Lord
This is not a thread in which I have found a way to make custom servers, but its just a thought.

Project M has been working really hard to improve gameplay, but one thing missing is custom servers.

I know that it's really hard to make them. We don't even have any idea on where to begin.

But before being a smasher, I was a professional Mario Kart Wii player. How is this relevant?

Well, a 128 custom track pack known as CTGP-R (Custom Track Grand Prix Revolution) has created custom servers so others that have this custom track pack can play with other players with the track pack..

Any way we could cooperate with them to create the P:M servers?

Burnsy

Smash Lord
One of the issues I see with this is that even with collaboration, it would require a ton of man hours for the Project M team regardless. This is time that they could spend working on and refining more highly prioritized aspects of the game itself (characters and mechanics) rather than online. There are many more local players than online players, so whether or not this is a possibility, local players needs come first.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
We have no idea how to accomplish this. If another team is interested in pursuing this, it'd be awesome and we'd be interested in implementing it into our codeset. I have no idea how different MKWii's netcode is from Brawl's.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
One of the biggest problems is sort of the same problem you have with online PM that applies to any online fighting game play, is that the PMBR would have to make it absolutely amazing online play, or it's functionally useless. You would likely have to do significant amounts of work, so much more than something for MKW for it to even be above-average.

Unless we could just toss GGPO into there, though I don't think the people who made GGPO assume "game developers using GGPO for arcade-style games" to also imply "a bunch of people making a mod for brawl".

Top Bottom