• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M 3.5 Freezing after custom stages added?

ParallelFalchion

Smash Rookie
Hey all, I have been trying to add some custom stages in Project M 3.5, and for the most part I've been succesful. However, once I got into the st_custom09-0C, everything started freezing, and the game freezes once I pressed start on the Character Select Screen. Any help would be appriciated.
EDIT: On closer inspection, it seems to be whenever I add the stage icons and such.

Last edited:

Inquirer

Smash Cadet
Without knowing exactly what you have done so far, I would suggest you check the size of the icons because they can cause this issue if they are too large.

ParallelFalchion

Smash Rookie
Sorry, I guess I should be a little more specific.
I followed the steps detailed in Arko's Project M Modding Tutorial for Adding Stages (I'd post a YouTube link but can't) down to a T. I put in the .rel's and .pac's, went into the game, played the stages, and they worked fine. They had no names, icons, logos, anything (Aside from the default ones).
Once I went back into the Stage Manager and added the icons and names, then the game started to freeze. All of the icons (Except for two, which I just left as the default ones) came with the download link for the stage and were built specifically for PM, so I know they're the right size. Same with the name and previews.
The only thing I can think of that I did differently than normal was use the Stage Manager rather than Brawl Box to add the icons and such.
EDIT: The Crash involves the CCS freezing a a loud buzz noise, if that helps.

Last edited:

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
What size is your sc_selmap.pac? If it's larger than 1,186 KB, that's your problem - you're putting in too many images, or the images you're putting in are too high-quality. You can try to change compression type to ExtendedLZ77, and that may free up a little space (about 100 KB).

ParallelFalchion

Smash Rookie
What size is your sc_selmap.pac? If it's larger than 1,186 KB, that's your problem - you're putting in too many images, or the images you're putting in are too high-quality. You can try to change compression type to ExtendedLZ77, and that may free up a little space (about 100 KB).
Yeah, we're a little under 2.5 MB, that's probably it. How would I change the compression type?

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Open it in BrawlBox, and in the panel to the right, where it says "Compression: LZ77", double-click that, and it should change to ExtendedLZ77. Though yours is so far over the limit, I doubt that'll shrink it by enough.

What format are the textures you're adding in? If they're all CI8 or similar, then they'll take up a lot of space. If you right-click on them in BrawlBox, choose "re-encode", and change the image format to CMPR, you can roughly halve the file size of the images. Though, depending on the image, this can sometimes result in a noticeable degradation of quality (though they usually turn out fine).

ParallelFalchion

Smash Rookie
Most are I4 or IA4; The rest are CMPR (I changed all the CI8s to CMPRs).
UPDATE: So, I changed every single icon to CMPR, including the ones in the vanilla game, but now something weird is happening: All the icons are replaced by a lil Project M logo and the title of their stage. NO LONGER FREEZES, so the main issue is solved, but is there anyway to fix the icons? (Thanks for the help, BTW; I've asked everywhere and you guys are the only ones to reply so far)

Last edited:

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Files that are I4/IA4 shouldn't be changed, since those formats are for black and white/translucent images. Those are probably the ones that aren't working now.

ParallelFalchion

Smash Rookie
I didn't change the I4/IA4s, just the stage icons and previews(Anything that was previously CI8 became CMPR). I'll try and get a picture of it later if I can, but it'll probably be in potato quality.

Top Bottom