• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project 64k Problem

Walbytamer11

Smash Apprentice
I sure hope this is the right place to post this (sorry I don't normally post too much to start out with let alone computer problems)

Anyway, my problem is that whenever I start Project64k (latest version), I get an error message saying "current controller.dll could not be used please selected (actual typo) another one." Whenever I try going into settings or anything like that, it lets me proceed but at the same time the error message pops up. This error message prevents me from controlling the game at all. Just last week it was working perfectly fine and I could play online with friends with 0 problems.

Things I've tried to fix it:

-Restarting my computer
-Running P64 as an administrator
-Reinstalling/Downloading Project64k
-Installing older versions of Project64k
-Looked under options and hit "configure controller plugin." The option was grayed out.
-I've tried going into settings and choosing a different Input (controller) plugin. I would select each one (Adaptoid, N-Rage,
Jacobs) and would get the same error message and have no control over the game.
-Going under settings and seeing if the file path for the controller plugin was wacky. Compared with my friends and it was the same.
-Running project64 normally just for the heck of it; same error.
-Tried other Emulators

Once again I don't mean any harm if this isn't the right place to post, if there's a better place to post then I'd be happy to ask there. Thanks in advance everyone! Also...I'm kinda smart with computers but not too familiar with project64

One last note-Due to me being in highschool and not having any authority over my possesions, my mother insisted I let a guy from a remote location install antivirus stuff onto my computer....Maybe a few files have gotten deleted? I don't know what they would be, where they would be located and how it would react with a program like PJ64K

Madao

Does it work in other emulators? Seems like an unusual error. Also, have you restarted your computer ever since you got this error? I'm not trying to get your hopes up, but I have had errors that wouldn't go away until i restarted my computer.

breakthrough

Smash Journeyman
Windows Key+R to bring up the Run prompt, type in joy.cpl and make sure you have your plugin there+calibrated and set up correctly. Use N-Rage for the input plugin. Also, I would recommend trying to use Project64KVE. Download link for PJ64kve: http://www.mediafire.com/download/i9yc10klgghgzhh/Project64kVE.zip Also, I would maybe try running PJ64 as administrator to see if it's because the program can't reach where your plugin is located bc it's in a protected area of the computer. Finally, I see no reason whatsoever why an anti virus would cause this issue. Let me know if anything works/doesn't work.

Walbytamer11

Smash Apprentice
Does it work in other emulators? Seems like an unusual error. Also, have you restarted your computer ever since you got this error? I'm not trying to get your hopes up, but I have had errors that wouldn't go away until i restarted my computer.
Thanks for the suggestion, tried both and no luck.

Windows Key+R to bring up the Run prompt, type in joy.cpl and make sure you have your plugin there+calibrated and set up correctly. Use N-Rage for the input plugin. Also, I would recommend trying to use Project64KVE. Download link for PJ64kve: http://www.mediafire.com/download/i9yc10klgghgzhh/Project64kVE.zip Also, I would maybe try running PJ64 as administrator to see if it's because the program can't reach where your plugin is located bc it's in a protected area of the computer. Finally, I see no reason whatsoever why an anti virus would cause this issue. Let me know if anything works/doesn't work.
Really appreciate the response!

It's not even just the controller, I can't use a normal keyboard control scheme to move or do any actions.
I tried running PJ64k (and the normal pj64) as an administrator and to no luck.
Downloading PJ64VE gave me this
-http://screencast.com/t/mwzxDbLh
and then directly after I hit ok I get
-http://screencast.com/t/j6aWjkfZbAm

Another thing, the person who had control of my computer seemed to delete things in the windows folders, not sure if that could interfere.

breakthrough

Smash Journeyman
Really appreciate the response!

It's not even just the controller, I can't use a normal keyboard control scheme to move or do any actions.
I tried running PJ64k (and the normal pj64) as an administrator and to no luck.
Downloading PJ64VE gave me this
-http://screencast.com/t/mwzxDbLh
and then directly after I hit ok I get
-http://screencast.com/t/j6aWjkfZbAm

Another thing, the person who had control of my computer seemed to delete things in the windows folders, not sure if that could interfere.
For audio, use Azimer's Audio v0.30 (old driver) and for controller plugin I use N-Rage's Direct-Input8 V2 1.83.

There is no reason WHATSOEVER that whoever was "fixing" your computer should have deleted ANYTHING in the Windows folder. You might need to reformat if that's truly the case.

Walbytamer11

Smash Apprentice
For audio, use Azimer's Audio v0.30 (old driver) and for controller plugin I use N-Rage's Direct-Input8 V2 1.83.

There is no reason WHATSOEVER that whoever was "fixing" your computer should have deleted ANYTHING in the Windows folder. You might need to reformat if that's truly the case.
Oh my God thank you so much <3

Problem. I crash often and the exe just deletes off of my computer. Also, my controller plugin WORKS but my scheme resets every time.

Problem. I crash often and the exe just deletes off of my computer. Also, my controller plugin WORKS but my scheme resets every time.
For the exe deleting all I did was copy about 10 of them into the same folder and figure it would last me a bit. The controller plugin resets every so often and crashes are frequent...sometimes at the main manu and if not then it's in the middle of a match.

Madao

Reformatting / System Restore sounds like the best option. You make that guy sound so shady lol. Try system restoring to the day before your computer got messed up. I know for a fact that has fixed numerous spontaneous problems of mine. I remember one day, my sound driver just randomly broke out of nowhere (so I had no sound at all). Then all I had to do was system restore to a day ago... I spent hours trying to fix it when system restore was an easy solution.

Walbytamer11

Smash Apprentice
Reformatting / System Restore sounds like the best option. You make that guy sound so shady lol. Try system restoring to the day before your computer got messed up. I know for a fact that has fixed numerous spontaneous problems of mine. I remember one day, my sound driver just randomly broke out of nowhere (so I had no sound at all). Then all I had to do was system restore to a day ago... I spent hours trying to fix it when system restore was an easy solution.
Aight, I may just go to it.

breakthrough

Smash Journeyman

For the exe deleting all I did was copy about 10 of them into the same folder and figure it would last me a bit. The controller plugin resets every so often and crashes are frequent...sometimes at the main manu and if not then it's in the middle of a match.
The application deleting itself doesn't sound normal. There's actually a very small chance that the AV program that was installed on your computer is complete **** and is detecting it as a virus/other malware. I would personally uninstall that **** and google Microsoft Security Essentials. Good AV program released by Microsoft meant for their system specifically.

Your scheme resetting is likely because you didn't close out of the program after making the settings changes. Every time you change setting or configure a plugin, close out of and reopen Project 64 so that it saves the changes.

Regarding plugin resetting and crashes, make sure you have unchecked Raw Data under all 4 controllers in the Configure Controller Plugin option. With the controller plugin that I told you I use, it's under the Controller Pak tab. Make sure you uncheck it for ALL 4 controllers.

Walbytamer11

Smash Apprentice
My God, it's all over. I'm an idiot. Not...a total...idiot though..All I did was copy every plugin from Project64kve and put it into my old plugin folder for Project64k. Weird how that fixed it because I installed a bunch of other versions multiple times and got the same error. Oh well, thanks everyone for the help!

breakthrough

Smash Journeyman
My God, it's all over. I'm an idiot. Not...a total...idiot though..All I did was copy every plugin from Project64kve and put it into my old plugin folder for Project64k. Weird how that fixed it because I installed a bunch of other versions multiple times and got the same error. Oh well, thanks everyone for the help!
It's always the simple solution that ends it all lol. Can't believe I didn't think of that myself, when I came up with so many other possibilities.

Top Bottom