• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Programs opening for no reason.

shizzlee

Smash Apprentice
I need some help. If I leave my computer inactive for about an hour, 4 programs open up for no reason and they run in the background on my Windows XP computer. They are always in the same pair, but at different times. helpsvc.exe and wuauclt.exe runs every now and then. When it is not those two, svchost.exe takes up about all of my computer's resources for a little while then defrag.exe and dfrgnts.exe open up in the background and they run. Avast does not find anything and so does AVG Anti-Spyware and Spybot Search and Destroy. Can anyone tell me how to solve this problem?

Eight Sage

Smash Lord
in the range of 0.0.0.0 to 255.255.255.255
wuauclt.exe is the windows updater file (the yellow icon on the toolbar). It runs when the CPU performance goes down between 0-20% of its maximum capacity for about 15 minutes. However, It also could be a virus named wuauclt.exe, so my guess is that you check that file for the VeriSign digital sign.

BUT, have in mind that those files are windows files (for example defrag.exe, it keeps your HDD clean and ordered), and they act when your PC is idle so they won't disturb you from your duties. My guess is that your PC comes back to normal after a while, no?

If you don't want them to run (which I doubt, they're a part of windows), do the following:

1. - Start ==> Run ==> Msconfig
2. - Go to the services tab and deactivate the help and technical support boxes.
3. - Click Ok and then restart now.
4. - They shouldn't bother anymore.

Top Bottom